Getting that horizon straight on Panos.

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Getting that horizon straight on Panos.

Postby biggerry on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:03 pm

I have had this issue a few time sin the past when using PTGui o stitch panos together - mainly when in the portrait orientation.

The issue is the 's' shape to the horizon, now in PTGui you can assign 'horizontal' control points on each image, I suspect the idea is to add 2 or more to each image to give the software an idea of what prority to take when warping etc.

I have tried this but for a pano with say 25-30 images it becomes a very time consuming task, I did do this for one pano but only did one or two 'horizontal' control points for each image, it at teh end of of it made very little difference to the overall straightness...note: after adding the additional control points I optimized it but did not straighten, I read somewhere this defeats the purpose of the horizontal control points?

Anyway below is the pano that I would really love to get working much better than what it is currently, its a 360 degree view which I really want to complete and not wavey :up:

What is peoples experience with this kinda issue? any possible easy solns? have you used the 'horizontal' control points?

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Getting that horizon straight on Panos.

Postby TTT on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:51 pm

hi,
haven't use PTGUI for a while, but using hugin at the moment

is this how you set your horizontal points in the same photo ? note the swapping of point positions
the further apart the points are , the better

1st screen h1-----------------h2 same photo 2nd screen h2-----------------h1

it can also be done across neighbouring photos
TTT

Postby surenj on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 pm

No idea on this issue dude. Recently one of my attemped Photoshop panos had a S curve on the horizon! One word: Liquify :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby biggerry on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:01 pm

is this how you set your horizontal points in the same photo ? note the swapping of point positions
the further apart the points are , the better

1st screen h1-----------------h2 same photo 2nd screen h2-----------------h1

yeah I sort of tried that, however I am sure you can appreciate taht with 25 images it becomes more than a 5 minute job. :wink:

I will try this on a smaller pano though...

One word: Liquify

:rotfl2:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to Post Processing