Getting the "Cool" look with NX2

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Getting the "Cool" look with NX2

Postby radar on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 am

From the January 2010 Nikon School:

Getting the "Cool" Look
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Re: Getting the "Cool" look with NX2

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks for posting this.

Nikon's article wrote:The final "not normal looking" image that Kiara wanted

Not normal is right. I think he's taken a not too bad image, and bloody well demolished it!

I would like to have seen larger versions of the images shown for the intermediate steps; there are certain items the author mentions that are not evident in the smaller images presented, and thus it's really difficult to judge the effect of those items upon the image.

But I certainly have no real affection for the finished result. He's thrown everything, including the kitchen sink, into his post-processing for this image.

Except he forgot to include restraint and good taste.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 pm

There are two points re this cool look.

1. The woman wanted this look

2. The WOMAN, wanted this look
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 pm

sirhc55 wrote:There are two points re this cool look.

1. The woman wanted this look

2. The WOMAN, wanted this look

I realise that. It would appear that the concept of restraint doesn't seem to be evident within that family, given that this is supposed to be a photo of his daughter, and that this is the outcome she desired.

I still think the final image looks way worse than what he started with.

Maybe energypolice was correct?
:)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Willy wombat on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Yes - I agree that less is more
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby radar on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Actually, the link points out the techniques used to get the final "cool" image. I didn't really care one way or the other for the final image, what is interesting here, for me an NX2 user, is the various techniques he used to get there. I photograph people rarely, so the final image doesn't really matter.

However, I do like to read the various steps he took to get there, some of which I would be able to use when doing my photos.

In this case, it's not the destination that matters, it's how he got there that is interesting. 8)

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby biggerry on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm

However, I do like to read the various steps he took to get there, some of which I would be able to use when doing my photos.

:agree:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 pm

biggerry wrote:

:agree:

Seems to me like these are steps I should avoid taking ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 pm

one should be open to all methods, it also may not be everyones cup of tea.. I would never have thought to use NR in NX2 to smooth the skin...I did learn something from reading that 'tutorial'
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm

biggerry wrote:

one should be open to all methods,

Oh, absolutely.

I would never have thought to use NR in NX2 to smooth the skin...'

Just as I would never have thought to take a perfectly fine, sharp image, made with the 85 f/1.4 - surely one of Nikon's finest, sharpest lenses - and turn that image into a visual blancmange. :)

I could have saved him a whole lot of time and trouble by just shooting that image through a Coke bottle. :rotfl2:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 am

gstark wrote:Seems to me like these are steps I should avoid taking ...

Ah, but I don't think so, for me anyway. An example for me: I have a great photo of a bear in the rainforest. I had to shoot at very high iso, so I end up using noise reduction but that makes me lose some of the sharpness in the face of the bear. By making use of the step he described as:
I really liked the Noise Reduction effect except on the eyes and brows. The effect makes the eyes look too soft (left image). To fix this, I selected the – (minus) brush, set the opacity to 50% and adjusted the brush size to fit the eyes/brows. I then carefully subtracted the NR effect from the eyes and brows. I also enlarged the brush and subtracted a bit of the NR effect from Kiara's hair (right image).

I can then accomplish what I wanted to do but wasn't quite savvy enough with NX2 yet to do it properly. :up:

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby radar on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 am

gstark wrote:Seems to me like these are steps I should avoid taking ...

Ah, but I don't think so, for me anyway. An example for me: I have a great photo of a bear in the rainforest. I had to shoot at very high iso, so I end up using noise reduction but that makes me lose some of the sharpness in the face of the bear. By making use of the step he described as:
I really liked the Noise Reduction effect except on the eyes and brows. The effect makes the eyes look too soft (left image). To fix this, I selected the – (minus) brush, set the opacity to 50% and adjusted the brush size to fit the eyes/brows. I then carefully subtracted the NR effect from the eyes and brows. I also enlarged the brush and subtracted a bit of the NR effect from Kiara's hair (right image).

I can then accomplish what I wanted to do but wasn't quite savvy enough with NX2 yet to do it properly. :up:

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Return to Post Processing