Colour rendition / management - HELP!!!

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Colour rendition / management - HELP!!!

Postby leek on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:08 pm

OK... this problem is difficult to explain and even more difficult to illustrate because the very process of illustrating makes it worse :-) so bear with me...

After recent complaints about the orange colour of some of my models' skin I decided to see what I could do to improve my technique... However, when I opened one of the offending images in Photoshop, I noticed that the skin wasn't as orange as on Flickr and actually looked pretty natural...
All sorts of possible reasons entered my head, and I tried to eliminate them one by one...

To cut a long story short, if I open the 800x534 JPG which has a sRGB profile in Photoshop (and yes I preserved the embedded sRGB profile), it looks like this: (N.B. the same issue has made this image more orange than the way I see it on my screen)
and if I open the same image locally in IE, it looks like this (except this is double Orange due to the same problem):

Can anyone suggest how / why this might be happening? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I've bounced it off a couple of wise people already and they haven't managed to figure it out...

I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can help solve it...
How to I avoid turning my models into Oompah Loompahs?
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Re: Colour rendition / management - HELP!!!

Postby shakey on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Ok...first question

what is your monitor, is it calibrated, and if it is calibrated how is it calibrated?
shakey

Postby leek on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:20 pm

shakey wrote:Ok...first question

what is your monitor, is it calibrated, and if it is calibrated how is it calibrated?

It's a Dell monitor and is the question about calibration really relevant, as I'm seeing 2 different colours on the same screen...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:06 pm

leek wrote:
shakey wrote:Ok...first question

It's a Dell monitor and is the question about calibration really relevant, as I'm seeing 2 different colours on the same screen...

But from within two different applications, one of which you state is IE. IE is not colour managed, and so what you see there will be pretty much like trying to predict the lottery. Basically, it's not where you should be judging what your colour looks like.

How does it look using FF?

I'm not sure if that helps you any.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:21 pm

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby shakey on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:58 am

And in FF you have to turn colour management on...

Leek,

I have a Dell wide gamut monitor. It definitely needed calibrating. As others have mentioned IE is not colour managed, so in your particular instance you are not comparing apples with apples ( actually forget that metaphor...I forgot apples are computers as well as fruit). The first thing you need to do is calibrate your monitor. Unless you calibrate your monitor you have a "garbage in" situation.

Just my take
shakey

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:37 am

I agree with that - and I think it needs to be a good colorimeter package too, probably Eye One Display 2, Color Munki or Spyder 3 (and not the lite versions) - especially for a wide gamut monitor.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Return to Post Processing