ProPhoto RGB

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Re: ProPhoto RGB

Postby aim54x on Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 pm

I can kind of see a difference (sorry 10" screen makes direct comparison difficult, I will have to have another look on another screen later). Huge thanks Bob for sharing your findings!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Murray Foote on Wed May 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I have two profiled monitors, one sRGB and one aRGB and I don't see much difference on either. If anything I prefer the aRGB version where the yellow on the fence post is a bit brighter and the colour contrast on the wire seems a bit higher.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby BullcreekBob on Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Murray Foote wrote:I have two profiled monitors, one sRGB and one aRGB and I don't see much difference on either. If anything I prefer the aRGB version where the yellow on the fence post is a bit brighter and the colour contrast on the wire seems a bit higher.

Regards,
Murray

This is interesting. Both images contain an embedded profile and your monitors and o/s should perform correct colour management which means in a correctly colour managed workflow that image #1 should look the same on both screens and image #2 should look the same on both screens.

What software are you using to view the images? Don't forget that IE is not colour space aware and "assumes" sRGB but nevertheless both images ARE in sRGB so it MIGHT be that the colour mapping for your Adobe RGB monitor has been incorrectly setup or your OS (or hardware) is not correctly colour mapping to it.

Cheers
Bob
Cheers

Bob in sunny Perth
What gear? Watch this space!
BullcreekBob

Postby Murray Foote on Thu May 20, 2010 12:29 am

I'm viewing them on Firefox. I didn't say they look different between screens, I was comparing the two images on either screen.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby surenj on Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 am

Can a program display two different images from two different color spaces accurately on the SAME screen?? :shock: I didn't think this was possible?
surenj

Postby BullcreekBob on Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 pm

surenj wrote:Can a program display two different images from two different color spaces accurately on the SAME screen?? :shock: I didn't think this was possible?

Any program that is correctly colour managed can do this. The main processes involved in colour management is to be aware of the colour profile used by (or embedded within) an image and to convert it to the colour profile used by whatever display or print device the image is being viewed or printed on.

However, that was not the situation with the two images I posted. They were both sRGB images the only difference between then was the editing was done using different colour spaces. One was edited in sRGB the other had the exact same editing steps but performed using the Prophoto colour space. But both jpgs were sRGB.
Cheers

Bob in sunny Perth
What gear? Watch this space!
BullcreekBob

Postby Murray Foote on Thu May 20, 2010 11:39 pm

surenj wrote:Can a program display two different images from two different color spaces accurately on the SAME screen?? :shock: I didn't think this was possible?

It is as long as they are both within the colour space the screen is profiled for.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Previous

Return to Post Processing