Optimising a photo for Canvas printing

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Optimising a photo for Canvas printing

Postby gummi on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 am

Hi guys,

I've been keen to get some canvas prints done recently and about to submit some files to be printed. The question I had was, are there any post processing do's and don't if my ultimate goal is to get it on canvas? I realise that whilst the results of my processing might look ok onscreen, it's probably quite different in print - and on canvas instead of paper. Should I reduce the sharpening (eg, as canvas not being as smooth a finish as gloss paper would sharpening actually make the picture look grainier etc), or even avoid doing that "soft" look commonly used in portraits? If however it is the same as printing normal photos on glass or closer to matte paper then that makes things easier.

I am planning to print portraits, and family photos in a park environment.

The reason I ask is a friend sent me this link: http://www.artscow.com/Create/ShowProdu ... ductId=346
(note that it is US dollars and prices are for printing on canvas only - no frames/mounting etc yet), and thought I'd give 2 or 3 a go.

Last question is, is it best to submit the files in .jpg or even the raw file?
Val
Nikon D300
gummi

Re: Optimising a photo for Canvas printing

Postby surenj on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 pm

To answer the last question, you would not submit the RAW file. You would submit a TIFF or a JPG (which you have processed) which should match the size(in resolution) and proportions that you are trying to print so that they don't have to resize or change proportions or crop it.

Color profiles are a subject I don't know about. I do know that this is lab specific, meaning that you have ask the lab which profile that you use etc and try to match that. Other option is to do a test print but I am not sure whether you can do a test canvas? Perhaps the smallest size to check for color problems.
surenj

Postby tasadam on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Rather than start a new topic, I think my question sits well in this topic.
Can anyone tell me what DPI or pixels per inch I should strive for when printing on canvas?
I have an image that is already a crop, and a customer wants it printed on canvas 20x30".
The image is currently 2024x1362 pixels, therefore it can only achieve 68 pixels per inch. Is that enough to get a good enough quality on canvas?
Here is a cropped portion of the image in question.

Any thoughts?
I have never printed on canvas before so anyone with an opinion, it would be appreciated.

Maybe I should post process it again too, looking at it again it might be a bit dark. Thoughts?
http://www.redbubble.com/people/tasadam ... -echidna-1
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby biggerry on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:55 am

Is that enough to get a good enough quality on canvas?

my main advice would be to talk to the person who is gonna print on canvas, if they know their stuff they could answer these kind os q's striaght off the bat.

However in terms of quality, in qualitative terms, canvas prints tend to 'bleed' which often allows them to be printed larger. I have had a number of images printed on canvas thru a local guy and i remember talkign about dpi and all that but do not know well enough to quote for someone down your end.

I had this image (below) printed not so long ago, it was 3345x1639 at 300dpi - thats what the printer dude got and i am not sure what dpi he printed to. I got it printed to 1metre wide and it looks fine and dandy. I find having a chat to the guy and showing him the images can definitely help when preparing image files.

hth

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:09 pm

I think Gerry has answered most questions. If the print shop is not sure, that's not a good sign. :shock:

As a simple rule, I would suggest at least 200dpi, 300 if possible.

What resolution does photoshop comeup with, if you change the DPI to 200? [usually this causes the image to shrink in size)
surenj

Postby chasem on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

I was going to make a thread like this, you beat me to it. :D

Dont mean to hijack your thread but...

Can Anyone recomend the best place in brisbane? and will printers only make the sizes to a set size, or can you choose the dimensions?
Last edited by chasem on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chasem

Postby biggerry on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:59 pm

nd will printers only make the sizes to a set size, or can you choose the dimensions?

any printer worth their salt should print whatever size (up to printer limits) and aspect ratio that you desire.

couple of other threads Re canvas:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34154&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=canvas#p369235

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=36205&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=canvas#p385804

and FYI, the only affiliation I have with this guy is the fact that I get a fair amount of stuff printed thru him and its just down the road. :up:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby tasadam on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:16 pm

I did a search before posting and found this topic most suited to my enquiry. Though I did find the zimprints topic, along with several others.
I have sent zimprints an email, making the full res photo available to them, and await an answer.
Will let you know what they say re my resolution issue.

Re printers in Brisbane, have you tried this? Hope it helps.
Cheers!
tasadam

Postby chasem on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm

tasadam wrote:Re printers in Brisbane, have you tried this? Hope it helps.
Cheers!

Yes i have, but i was looking for some sort of recomendations,
who is good, who is bad? im sure that the printing stores wont say that their prints were/are; bad quality, took to long, wrong size, ETC. see what im getting at?
chasem

Postby tasadam on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:47 pm

This might help you, perhaps, maybe.
tasadam

Postby chasem on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks, thats what i was looking for :D
chasem

Postby photomarcs on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:25 pm

hey!

=D

just a quick note to say, be careful with your image, sometimes if theres no detail or lack of detail in shadows, the printers ( mainly the epson stylus pro 9600 and 9800 series). So even when you think theres no detail in some areas and there actually is, you'll notice it. trust me, it can look like someone's blabbed all over you're beautiful image.

=D just a heads up =D
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Return to Post Processing