Sharpening in Apple Aperture 2.1

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sharpening in Apple Aperture 2.1

Postby muzz on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm just working through the process of "refining" digital images in Apple Aperture and I'm trying to understand the concept of sharpening a little better. I have searched the forums and there seems to be some consistency (perhaps a little controversy) about the need or desire to sharpen images, particularly if working in RAW format.

Aperture has 2 slider controls - one is only available for RAW, while the other is available all the time, including with RAW so I'm not yet sure which or when to use.

Other than aesthetics, is there a "right" amount of sharpening under different circumstance (eg print, web etc)? Is there a test to check the fundamentals - can an image be checked by zooming in on a part and making a measurement in some way, or is it simply in the eye of the beholder.

My aim is to have sharper images than I have been used to getting, so have started shooting RAW to see how I go with that and paying more attention to exposure settings and camera stability. From there I would like to move up with my lenses and camera body (currently 350D with kit lens) so I want to be sure I make the right choices.

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

Cheers, Murray
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Re: Sharpening in Apple Aperture 2.1

Postby ljxphotography on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 am

Hi Muzz,
When shooting RAW the image straight out of the camera has no sharpening applied at all, and will be a tad soft because of the filter that sits in font of the sensor that helps stop moire (moire is an effect that happens if not filtered, close multiple straight lines or patterns become distorted.)
So yes you will need to sharpen.
I can only find one sharpen option on my version of aperture, but im editing Nikon raw files, the options change depending on what raw format you are shooting.
Im thinking that one of your sharpen options is like a quick sharpen and for more adjustment you can use the other option.
I sharpen my images at 100% as you can see what affect you are having on the image. I am of the opinion that that the amount you sharpen is up to personal taste, but remember that (and you will see this at 100%) you can sharpen to a point and then the sharpening becomes disstructive, you will get halos, weird things happening around the edge of objects in your images and it will also increase the appearance of noise.
If you want to over sharpen as i sometimes do, try a high pass filter in photoshop or something similar.
As for sharpening for a medium, I try to sharpen for print or effect. Getting your sharpening right for the web may be difficult as some sites that you load images onto add sharpening eg. Redbubble.

Hope I was some help :wink:

Mick :mrgreen:
Nikon D800,D300s X2,F90x,F4e, 18-35AFD,24mm f2, 35mmf2, 50mm f1.8 AFS, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8, SB600, SB800, Elinchrom Quadras.
ljxphotography

Re: Sharpening in Apple Aperture 2.1

Postby muzz on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks ljx. I'll have a play - I'm wondering how much I can rely on my eyesight and the quality/calibration of my iMac!

Just thought I'd include a screenshot of the Aperture HUD showing the sharpening slider in the RAW section and the dropdown showing the other option that is there at the bottom all the time.

Thanks again.

Muzz.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Return to Post Processing