Lightroom, displayed date/time and DST

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lightroom, displayed date/time and DST

Postby ATJ on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:50 pm

I just noticed something very scary about Lightroom. I hadn't noticed it with my D300 images because I've only had the D300 since December. Today, I imported all my D70 images into Lightroom, nearly 3 years worth. The date/time for all images shot between April and September (inclusive) are displayed as one hour ahead of what they should be. It appears that it has decided to make adjustments for DST, even though I didn't ask it to, and has gone in the wrong direction, even though it isn't needed. If I look at the images in View 6, View NX, etc. the date/time information is correct.

Has anyone else noticed this?
ATJ

Re: Lightroom, displayed date/time and DST

Postby W00DY on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:28 pm

Did you install the 1.4 version upgrade?

Adobe have since recalled the upgrade as there was an isue with times (I am not sure if what you described is the issue, just remember it had something to do with time),

Anyway if you have you can revert back to 1.3, check this out - http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2008/lightroom-14-update-is-pulled/

Hope this helps.
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby ATJ on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:25 pm

Nah, I'm still on 1.3.1.
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Just to make things clear, this is what I'm talking about:

Using Nikon View 6 (or just about any other software) it shows the image was taken at 10:16:33

But Lightroom says the same image was taken at 11:16:33
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Note that if I deselect "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving settings" of Windows Date and Time Properties, Lightroom displays the correct time.

Is there no one else out there with Lightroom that sees this?
ATJ

Postby stubbsy on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Andrew

I believe it's actually a Windows problem and LR is doing what Windows does (or says). I've checked on my Vista and XP PCs and on both they show a file that has a time stamp of 2:24 pm on 7/5/2006 in the EXIF header with a date modified of 3:24 pm 7/5/2006 (see below). If I look at the image from NC or from iMatch they both show it as 2:24 pm. Bottom line - I'm not sure if it's a Windows bug or a LR feature :wink:

Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby ATJ on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Right.... so LR is the only application that does this and that makes it a Windows bug? :P And two versions of Windows have the same bug?

I don't understand why LR needs to do anything. The times in the EXIF data are correct and do not need to be manipulated.
ATJ

Postby photohiker on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:33 pm

I don't understand why LR needs to do anything. The times in the EXIF data are correct and do not need to be manipulated.

Certainly something strange is going on. Windows' localtime functionality seems to throw some programs off, so not surprised that the LR devs got snared. For what it's worth, my Mac Version of LR displays the capture time correctly. Maybe the 1.4 update will fix it?

Michael
photohiker

Postby ATJ on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 am

OK, seems it is a known problem (at least known to user but not acknowledged by Adobe): http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c0590ff

Sometimes I get the feeling that Adobe put all their junior programmers on Lightroom.
ATJ

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:45 am

ATJ wrote:Right.... so LR is the only application that does this and that makes it a Windows bug? :P And two versions of Windows have the same bug?

Andrew

You're right to be annoyed by this. My point was that Windows does the same thing eg in my example Windows Explorer shows the date modified time as 3:24 pm and the Vista EXIF display (shown in my shot) also says 3:24 pm when the EXIF says it's 2:24 pm
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby ATJ on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:57 am

stubbsy wrote:My point was that Windows does the same thing eg in my example Windows Explorer shows the date modified time as 3:24 pm and the Vista EXIF display (shown in my shot) also says 3:24 pm when the EXIF says it's 2:24 pm

Ah, I didn't notice that. In my case, Windows (XP) correctly shows the time as 10:16AM and the pop-up EXIF data is also shown as 10:16:33 AM.

But... I think I have had problems in the past when I copy files from one disk to another using XCOPY with the /d parameter, that it copied the same files because the source and target times were out by an hour.

I'll keep a close eye on things next week when we hit April.

Anyway, I submitted a bug report to Adobe on this (my 3rd overall and 2nd in a week).
ATJ

Return to Post Processing