Lightroom cropping at 240dpi

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lightroom cropping at 240dpi

Postby W00DY on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know a workaround for this issue? Lightroom works at 240dpi (or is that ppi???) so when I use the crop tool in lightroom it crops an image to say 8x10 at 240dpi.

If I then export this at 300dpi and open it in photoshop the image size is 9.493x11.867 :x

The only thing I can think of is to do all cropping in photoshop, but then that screws up my workflow somewhat as it is easy to crop in Lightroom and I like the way you can apply (easily) vignetting in lightroom after you have cropped. I like to do all global edits in Lightroom and then only export to Photoshop for minor touchups.

Does anyone know if this can be changed?

I have searched the web but come up empty :cry:

Cheers,

:D
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby dawesy on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:01 am

I would imagine there is a setting somewhere that will make Lightroom work at 300dpi/ppi. I know for me Photoshop defaults to 240, so it must be configurable for it to default to 300 for others.

Unfortunately I don't have Lightroom, so I can't check where that setting may be!
dawesy

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:19 pm

From Lightroom help; search function for "dpi":

Set printing resolution
In the Print module, the Print Resolution setting specifies the dots per inch (dpi) of the photo for the printer. Lightroom resamples the image data if needed, depending on the print resolution and the print dimensions. The default value of 240 dpi is usually satisfactory for many print jobs. Refer to your printer’s documentation to determine its optimal resolution.

In the Print Job panel of the Print module, do either of the following:
To control the print resolution, select Print Resolution and specify a different value, if necessary.

To use the native resolution of the photo (as long as it isn’t lower than 72 ppi or higher than 480 ppi), deselect Print Resolution.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby W00DY on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 pm

cricketfan wrote:From Lightroom help; search function for "dpi":

Set printing resolution
In the Print module, the Print Resolution setting specifies the dots per inch (dpi) of the photo for the printer. Lightroom resamples the image data if needed, depending on the print resolution and the print dimensions. The default value of 240 dpi is usually satisfactory for many print jobs. Refer to your printer’s documentation to determine its optimal resolution.

In the Print Job panel of the Print module, do either of the following:
To control the print resolution, select Print Resolution and specify a different value, if necessary.

To use the native resolution of the photo (as long as it isn’t lower than 72 ppi or higher than 480 ppi), deselect Print Resolution.

Maybe I should have read the FAQ's :shock:

This talks about printing, I am referring to cropping. My problem is when I crop to say 8x10 it is cropped at 240, export this as 300 to photoshop and it is no longer 8x10 but 9.493x11.867.

Anyway, does not look like it can be done
Andrew
W00DY

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:03 pm

dpi means bugger all if you're not printing.

Why would you crop to 10x8"? That only has meaning for printing. You should crop to n x m pixels. (I don't have Lightroom so I can't see how this is done, but if it doesn't let you crop based on the number of pixels, it sounds like you need better software.)
ATJ

Postby W00DY on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:09 pm

ATJ wrote:dpi means bugger all if you're not printing.

Why would you crop to 10x8"? That only has meaning for printing. You should crop to n x m pixels. (I don't have Lightroom so I can't see how this is done, but if it doesn't let you crop based on the number of pixels, it sounds like you need better software.)

Sorry, my comment wasn't very clear. Yes I am cropping to print but in lightroom you crop in the develop module and then print in the printing module.

I do not use the print module to print, I send the files to a lab. So when I crop an image as an 8x10 (which will be it's print size) in the develop module it defaults to 240dpi.

The lab I use requests the files be at 300dpi. I can export the image out of lightroom at 300 dpi but this changes the size of the image (it is no longer 8x10).

I might be doing something wrong and happy to crawl under my desk if I am but maybe someone that uses Lightroom could clarify this for me.

Anyway, the work around is to just not crop in Lightroom but crop in photoshop (at 300dpi), bit of a pain but I can live with it.

Andrew
W00DY

Postby firsty on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:27 pm

Woody

I just did a test export on a random file with light room

used the crop tool and cropped the photo to a 10x8 ratio in the develop module

then opened up the export dialog cntrl+shift+E (or cmnd+shift+E for mac)

then changed the image settings section to suit
1. resolution set 300 pixels per inch
2. make sure "Resize to fit" is checked
3. set width and height to 10 x 8 inches
4. export

the resulting file is 3000x2400 pixels so this should give you your 10 x 8 print after final editing in photoshop

is this what you are after ?
firsty

Postby firsty on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:35 pm

further to the above

if you need to edit with photoshop I would export it as a psd file then save to tiff or what ever you printing place needs in photoshop

if you don't need to edit it further just export it as a tiff or whatever is needed at 100% quality and send direct to you printing place
firsty

Postby W00DY on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:12 pm

firsty wrote:Woody

I just did a test export on a random file with light room

used the crop tool and cropped the photo to a 10x8 ratio in the develop module

then opened up the export dialog cntrl+shift+E (or cmnd+shift+E for mac)

then changed the image settings section to suit
1. resolution set 300 pixels per inch
2. make sure "Resize to fit" is checked
3. set width and height to 10 x 8 inches
4. export

the resulting file is 3000x2400 pixels so this should give you your 10 x 8 print after final editing in photoshop

is this what you are after ?

Sort of.

From Lightroom you can export directly to photoshop without having to export and then reopen the image in photoshop. I was hoping I could apply your answer above to that process.

I can export as you have outlined aboe and then open in photoshop, just means it creats another image file, not a virtual version.

Thanks for your help though, I may just need to change my workflow.

Andrew
W00DY

Postby GK on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:19 pm

W00DY wrote:Sort of.

From Lightroom you can export directly to photoshop without having to export and then reopen the image in photoshop. I was hoping I could apply your answer above to that process.

I can export as you have outlined aboe and then open in photoshop, just means it creats another image file, not a virtual version.

Thanks for your help though, I may just need to change my workflow.

When you export to Photoshop from Lightroom it creates a new file as well. It applies all your virtual edits to RAW file and saves it as PSD, and then opens it in photoshop.
GK

Postby firsty on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 pm

you can let lightroom manage you PSDs for you

have a look at this video from "lightroom killertips"
http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2007/video-psds-and-lightroom/

then you can export as above straight from the PSD and send to your printing place (you don't need to keep this file as you can re-export as needed to save space)
firsty

Return to Post Processing