Lightroom and Capture NX integration on Mac

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lightroom and Capture NX integration on Mac

Postby olrac on Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:58 am

My work flow is basically all Lightroom.
However I have found that some images I am just not happy with in Lightroom so I use Capture NX to get the result I am looking for.

The problem with this is the programs are not very well integrated.
There are two ways to edit in Capture an image that is cataloged in Lightroom.

1) create an export Alias (See Here)
Pro's - Capture is editing the Raw NEF
Con's - The exported file is not cataloged in Lightroom and has to be manually updated if you want it to be.

2) Setting up Capture as an External Editor in the preferences.
Pro's - The image that is edited in Capture is Stacked with the original
Con's - Capture has to edit a Tiff (or something else)

So with the SDK being released I thought maybe I could code something that would combine the Pro's with no Cons. But alas that is not possible.

Then I got thinking about Automator on the Mac and I have been able to create an Automator app that will act as the link between lightroom and capture NX.

It works like this, the App is setup as an external editor and TIFF is chosen as the output. The file name and path are sent to the App and it just changes the file extension from .tif to .nef. then opens Capture NX.

After editing in Capture you have to save the file as a TIFF in the file path of the tif that was exported. So here is the link to download the app.

I must note that this works on my Mac and I give no guarentee that this will work on yours.

However Enjoy.
olrac

Return to Post Processing