HDR in CS3

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

HDR in CS3

Postby Spooky on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:26 pm

Got back from Carnarvon Gorge with some shots I took to use the supposedly new improved HDR feature in CS3.

After having a few goes with a couple of image sets I can honestly say I am underwhelmed. The finished product barely looks any better than the metered image out of the camera.

Has anyone had any success with this feature. I have read a few tutes on the net and I believe I am doing it correctly, just the output is very poor.

I'm sure I could do better with some layering and masking though it would take some time of course.

I have seen some fairly impressive images on the net that have had the HDR treatment, can't say I can see how they were done doing what I did.

Is there something I am missing?
Spooky

Postby Underload on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:46 pm

You could try using another program - as a lot of people have good success with Photomatix - available at http://www.hdrsoft.com - it's a good program that works well for HDR stuff, IMO :)
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby DVEous on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:34 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby photograham on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 am

I have purchased and used the software DRI Pro from http://www.fredmiranda.com with satisfactory results and is only USD19.90. I have even used 2 copies of 1 raw image that were adjusted in Photoshop ACR and then saved as 16 bit TIFFs, processed to 1 image in DRI Pro, and then tweaked in CS2 afterwards.
photograham

Postby DVEous on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby Colcam on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:58 pm

VK4CP wrote:To be honest, I have given Photomatix a few goes now, and the results are incredibly disappointing.

I am with you on this one and the HDR in PS. I prefer to adjust the RAW file each way and open them and then merge them with gradient layers & adjusting the layer masks. Somebody put a tutorial in here on this as "Digital ND filter" if I recall
Col
Photography. The Art of Seeing, Not Just Looking
http://www.frozentime.com.au
Colcam

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm not sure if we have different tastes, or shooting styles or subjects, but I am really impressed with what Photomatix can do, for nearly 80% of the shots I try, it with it delivers some great results. (A number of my UK and france photos have been enhanced through using Photomatix.).
Alpha_7

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm not sure if we have different tastes, or shooting styles or subjects, but I am really impressed with what Photomatix can do, for nearly 80% of the shots I try, it with it delivers some great results. (A number of my UK and france photos have been enhanced through using Photomatix.).
Alpha_7

Return to Post Processing