Unsharp mask

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Unsharp mask

Postby Jeff on Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:58 pm

Hi
My main photo processing is done in Nikon Capture and I am trying to play with unsharp mask,could any of the users of nikon capture give me an idea or starting point for the settings Intensity ,halo width and threshold.
Thanks

Jeff
Jeff

Postby Raskill on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:36 pm

A good starting point is Photoshop CS or CS2 or CS3 :P

Sorry mate, but I hope you get a useful answer....
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:12 am

It depends on the image, resolution and quality not to mention your own personal taste. It's vital that you enlarge your image to 100% before you add any sharpening so that you can see the full effect. My advice is to keep sharpening until you start to see artifacts appearing and then back it off considerably. The most common fault I see with digital imagery is that it is oversharpened and looks fake. Err on the side of too little rather than too much...particularly if you are going to print the image where it will look even sharper than on your monitor.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:22 am

i use NX alot more than CS2 and as a generalisation i use 10/5/0. sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.

i also use selective USM alot, especially around the eyes in portraits. you dont want the sharpness to be too high cos it can show up alot of blemishes but the eyes should always be sharp. another way of doing this is to use a control point on the eye and boost brightness/ contrast to bring them out a little more.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Jeff on Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks for your tips I shall try and see how I go.

Thanks again
Jeff
Jeff

Return to Post Processing