Case of beer up for grabs !!!

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Case of beer up for grabs !!!

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi All,

Well inspired by the thought of having 2 24x30'' prints hanging on my wall (and the fact my wife say the post and demanded I get some of the kids!!!) We took the kids to the beach yesterday and got some great photos (at least we think so).

However this is where I hit the wall PP... I use Aperture at the moment (just installed CS3 but have not played in Photoshop for about 1 year) and really all I do is fix exposure, sharpen, contrast etc... very basic stuff.

Anyway if I am going to get 24x30 prints done (even if they are free) I want to get the best ones possible so I am putting out the call to all you PP gurus :lol:

If anyone would like to help me out by PP 2 images for me I will reward them with a case of beer (might even be imported :wink: )

I am sure most of you say the post but the images would also need to be cropped to a certain size and up sized (images are from a D70).

So if you have a spare 30 mins and just can't sleep let me know and I can send you the original RAW files or JPEG if it is easier.

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer. One day I will learn more about PP than I do know :oops:

Cheers,
W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:33 pm

I thought I better show you the untouched images so you can assess how much work needs to be done (read - how bad a photog I am :lol: )

We can't decide on which 2 from the following 4 we should hang so I would also love your feedback.

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3: (I really like this one but not sure if it can be fixed?)

Image 4:

Look forward to your replies and suggestions.

Cheers.
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:40 pm

I'd do number 1 and 4. And if I have spare time, and I usually do, I can PP them for you and you can give the beer to someone else.

I'm not sure what you want done. I'd actually lighten the colours on #4 myself, but I could prob do a black & white of it as an option as it looks like one would turn out well from that image.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Yi-P on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:41 pm

Woody, to start off with, they are superb captures!!

I don't really see much of a PP is needed for these apart form some curves/level and 'maybe' some sharpening...

As for #3, it can be fixed simply by dragging down the exposure and play a little with the curves later on. :D

Again, these are must prints, if I were you I will even pay for these printed out, they're simply timeless captures :D
Yi-P

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:I'd do number 1 and 4. And if I have spare time, and I usually do, I can PP them for you and you can give the beer to someone else.

I'm not sure what you want done. I'd actually lighten the colours on #4 myself, but I could prob do a black & white of it as an option as it looks like one would turn out well from that image.

Thanks for the offer Leigh,

Yeah my wife loves number 4 as well. I like it but I LOVE number 3. How do you think number 3 would print out? Would the sky come out ok or is it too blown? Should Sienna be lighter?

As for what I want... I don't know what I want :lol: I guess I am looking for any ideas (and someone to do the ideas) from people.

I like the colour in them so not sure B&W would work, what do you think?
Andrew
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:58 pm

Yi-P wrote:Woody, to start off with, they are superb captures!!

I don't really see much of a PP is needed for these apart form some curves/level and 'maybe' some sharpening...

As for #3, it can be fixed simply by dragging down the exposure and play a little with the curves later on. :D

Again, these are must prints, if I were you I will even pay for these printed out, they're simply timeless captures :D

Thanks Yi-P,

Really appreciate your comments. This was the first time I have gone on a shoot (sounds funny as I don't really go on shoots, rather take my camera somewhere) where I have come home with a good hit rate.

I have 188 images which we really love, it was hard to come up with only 4 :lol:
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Oscar on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:02 pm

If Leigh doesn't want the beer then I would be happy to.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice pics of your youngsters Woody.
Oscar

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:10 pm

I think 3 needs a closer crop, but regardless, the colours will blow out. You might be able to save something in RAW either by putting together an image where data has been saved, but if not, blowing out isn't so bad because you can saturate the colours of the sky to balance it out.
Nnnnsic

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:21 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:I think 3 needs a closer crop, but regardless, the colours will blow out. You might be able to save something in RAW either by putting together an image where data has been saved, but if not, blowing out isn't so bad because you can saturate the colours of the sky to balance it out.

Yeah I was thinking that the blown out sky could be used somehow. If you crop closer can you still up size for a 24x30 print?
Andrew
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:22 pm

Oscar wrote:If Leigh doesn't want the beer then I would be happy to.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice pics of your youngsters Woody.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Oscar.
Andrew
W00DY

Postby blacknstormy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:35 pm

Woody - they are great shots !!!!!
I love the 3rd one as well ... had a quick play with the small size jpg - but gives you an idea if you want to go even brighter with that shot ....
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:47 pm

blacknstormy wrote:Woody - they are great shots !!!!!
I love the 3rd one as well ... had a quick play with the small size jpg - but gives you an idea if you want to go even brighter with that shot ....

Yeah this is what I like for this shot, maybe high contrast blown out shot (does that make sense :lol: )

Here is another from that series, might fit in with Leigh's comments about a tighter crop?

Which do you prefer?
Andrew
W00DY

Postby aloysius on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:53 pm

that crop doesnt work nearly as well...the hole her hands are in is part of what makes the shot so good....
Nikon D-Fitty & D70 18-55G, 18-70ED, 70-300G, 50 1.8, Tokina ATX 12-24.

My gallery: http://joeharrison.info
aloysius

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:56 pm

W00DY, what did you shoot them on? I can size up most things... I do a lot of interpolation for friends and for Chimp.
Nnnnsic

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:57 pm

aloysius wrote:that crop doesnt work nearly as well...the hole her hands are in is part of what makes the shot so good....

Very true, your right... thanks for that.

I think I have looked at the images too long :lol:
Andrew
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:58 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:W00DY, what did you shoot them on? I can size up most things... I do a lot of interpolation for friends and for Chimp.

Nikon D70 (with 24 - 120mm VR)

I am almost ready to upgrade to the D200 (ask Gary, I have started the enquiry stage :lol: )
Andrew
W00DY

Return to Post Processing