Do you get the same Dynamic Range when....

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Do you get the same Dynamic Range when....

Postby Ronza on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:27 pm

Clipped sky, underexposed foreground, cant quite capture them both on a single image - you know the feeling when you want to try out that latest HDR tutorial you found on the web the other night. Anyhow - been bugging me but I'm just curious if anyone here has a technical answer or a link with an answer to the problem...

Do you get the same dynamic range when you create a blended image from multiple exposures of the same RAW file as when you blend an image from 2/3/4 physically different files shot at different exposures?

How much difference is there doing it the lazy way?

(talking like +/- 4 stops, nothing crazy)
Ronza

Postby Yi-P on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:11 am

Depending how you captured the scene, and how powerful your RAW converter can recover those highlight/shadow details.

Having bracketing several shots saves you a little more for the range than saving up from one single exposure.

In one single exposure, I was able to recover 1.5-2 stops of shadow details while exposing for highlights.

With 3 bracketed shots at 1.0EV apart, you're pretty much able to recover 3 stops of details from shadow/highlight.

This was recovered from 3 bracketed shots, you will have guessed how much detail you will need from the horizon, sky and foreground shadows.

Yi-P

Postby Big V on Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:59 am

Ronza, one of the problems with using the one file is that often there will be noise in the shadows as a result of the technique. It is far better to use a few files if possible.
Canon
Big V

Return to Post Processing