Alien Skin Blow Up

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Alien Skin Blow Up

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:51 pm

This is a filter for PS2 or PS3 that enables you to blow up your images. The first image is a stock standard pic out of the D2Hs, converted to srgb and resized for smugmug. The file size around 11Mb (original).

Applying Blow Up, the image went to 95Mb. I then cropped just a part of the image, shown below, and applied the normal smugmug requirements.

I would like to know what members think of this filter.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby lukeo on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

When you look for programs to blow images up to large resolutions you usually do quite a bit of pixel peeping at 100% to satisfy yourself the noise and blur introduced are acceptable for the purpose.

I don't think this thread has got much response simply b/c you cannot pixel peep those images. I know the rules 800 pixels long side of image, limit of 4 etc etc. However in this case some links to downloadable files that are 1MB or 2MB in size would really go along way to evaluating this software. Ideally a 2000+ or so pixel wide image.

Have you used it anymore since this post? Anymore thoughts/feelings about the product?
D70, Sigma 10-20mm, 28-70 F2.8 EX, 70-200mm F2.8 EX, Nikon 50mm AFD, http://lukeo.fotopic.net/
lukeo

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:04 pm

I never noticed this thread, but being someone who uses and has used pretty much every interpolating application on the planet, Alien Skin Blow Up is IMHO the worst of the lot.

It just lacks the features and options that I think make Pxl_Smartscale & BenVista Photozoom so good.

As someone who loves the Alien Skin plugins, Blow Up was a letdown.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to Post Processing