Converting from IR images

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Converting from IR images

Postby Yi-P on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:06 pm

I had a chance to use Leigh's IR filter from the picnic meet, had a few shot in IR, but I'm not getting how should I convert these bright red images back to those nice looking IR images, with some blue/brown/white colour casts.

Here are two pics from the IR filter, click to open full res file (~1MB)

How should I convert these images to those IR colour seen around here?

Help appreciated :)
Yi-P

Postby brembo on Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:35 pm

First part is setting white balance, usually you do it before shooting and take a WB reading off of a patch green grass. Then after that you play around with the channel mixer, then saturation.

Quick and dirty workflow someone posted on PBase (can't find the original user gallery);

brembo

Postby rooboy on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Check out DaveB's site here. He has a PS action available for download which I found very useful as a starting point for IR experimentation. First thing you'll need to do is set the white balance as cool as possible to eliminate most of the red cast, then switch the red and blue channels to bring in the false colour effect. Have fun with it, I'm addicted at the moment :)
So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all!
rooboy

Postby DaveB on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:18 pm

You did take these in RAW didn't you? Finding the WB is important for this: if you shot it in JPEG and didn't have the right WB then it's going to be very hard to get what you want from it.
DaveB

Return to Post Processing