Capture NX: Help needed

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Capture NX: Help needed

Postby Yi-P on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Just got hands on a trial at Capture NX.

First impression, too cumsy UI, controls all over the place and the 'steps' process just slow everything down!! I need to click on the show/hide icons all time to get my control/edits out, even undocking them, they are replaced by one another function (WB/ExpComp/etc...)

Can never do the quick jobs as used to in Capture 4 as every control is layed out properly in rows and can change everything in matter of clicks. The amount of clicks and waits have doubled now using NX. :(

Back to my question....

When I press 'save as' to convert NEF into JPEG, the default folder always pops up as the original file folder. This might be their way, but definately not my workflow. I used to save processed images in separate drive/folder and making my way back into the processed images folder everytime I press save as is way too much!! And the setting for JPEG levels (quality balance) is always reset back to good balance. I'd like it to save as default folder to my LAST SAVED directory and record my last saved quality setting as well. I dont have this much time to mess around with the clicks, specially doing plenty NEF at a time and not using batch process....

Anyone know how to fix this as it will open 'save as' from my last saved directory as Capture 4?? I tried setting "defautl save as: last save setting" but the directory doesnt change, neither does the jpeg quality. :(
Yi-P

Postby cawdor on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:34 am

I agree on the jpg quality and folder options - apparently Nikon is "working on it". It seems a rather basic level of customisation that you can find in even small freeware programs - so why Nikon didn't implement this from the start is a mystery. Hopefully the next update will introduce these features.
Tim
D300 | D200 | F90x | 70-200 f2.8 VR | Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro | Tokina 12-24 f4 | Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-800
cawdor

Postby Hybrid on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:05 am

Hopefully Nikon will fix the interface issues with Capture NX because aside from that, I think it has real potential...

I've got a bit of a trick that might help with your file navigation problems. First of all, you need to make a shortcut that points to your destination save folder. Then place that shortcut either in the default Capture NX dir or on your desktop. When you go to save, the folder shortcut should appear and when you double click it, it will go straight to the file path you're after. If it's on your desktop, just click the "Desktop" icon to the left first and then select it...

Hope that makes sense - I use this trick with photoshop for the times when I open a JPG and then want to Save As...

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Return to Post Processing