Using adjustment layers in Photoshop

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Using adjustment layers in Photoshop

Postby stubbsy on Tue May 23, 2006 9:52 pm

This tip came out of a dialog between ABG and myself in this thread. The image I played with is one of Andrew's

Below I explain how to adjust the hue/saturation of only PART of an image using Photoshop. The same technique applies to other image adjustments.
  1. Open image (doh!)
  2. If you can't see the layers palette, hit F7 to display it
  3. Click the fill/adjustment layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette (the circle that's half black & half white) to display the drop down menu in fig 1 below
  4. Choose Hue/Saturation and the standard hue/saturation dialog is displayed. Adjust as needed (I set master to 0, -10, 0 then went to just the yellow channel and set 0, -34, +24. Net result is the sand is lightened up AND less yellow)
  5. Click OK to close the dialog. So far this looks like your image would have if you did the same by choosing Hue/Saturation from the Image/Adjustment menu, but...
  6. Note how the layers palette is now showing TWO layers. One called background and the other called Hue/Saturation. This is where you selectively remove the effect.
  7. Change your colour to black
  8. Choose a reasonably big brush with a feathered edge
  9. Paint over the picture where you want to remove the effect and the original image will show through
  10. I painted over the sky and the rocks but chose to leave the surfhouse and buildings "adjusted"
  11. You can see the result of what you've done in the layers pallet. eg in figure 2 the white bits in the square are the bits that have had their hue/saturation altered
  12. If you make a mistake no worries, change to white and paint the effect back where you accidentally removed it
  13. You can get tricky too. If you look closely at the layers palette representation of what your adjustment layer is in figure 2 you'll see a dark grey bit where the surfhouse & buildings are. I chose a grey brush colour and painted over these. Since grey is part white & part black you apply the effect partially. The darker the grey, the less the effect.
  14. Finally when you're happy you choose Layers/Flatten Image to flatten the image and make the results permanent.

Original and adjusted images side by side (click the image for a larger version)
Last edited by stubbsy on Tue May 23, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby ozczecho on Tue May 23, 2006 9:56 pm

Stubbsy,

This is great for PP "L-Platers" like me....thanks heaps.
ozczecho

Postby NikonUser on Tue May 23, 2006 9:59 pm

A great tip for layer masking that will work for any adjustment layer.

I use these heaps.

Paul
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby Bob G on Tue May 23, 2006 10:10 pm

Peter

This was a really good photo to choose for this purpose as the after shot is chalk and cheese with the original post.

Even though this is pretty basic photoshop, maybe the ops could make it a sticky

Bob G
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Postby ABG on Wed May 24, 2006 9:38 am

Stubbsy,

You da man. That really improves the photo out of sight. Thanks so much for sharing with newbies like myself. Just goes to show, yet again, how great a place this forum is (as well as its regular, helpful inhabitants).
Andrew
ABG

Postby surenj on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks for this tip...Trying to use this routinely now...
surenj

Re: Using adjustment layers in Photoshop

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:43 pm

stubbsy wrote:This tip came out of a dialog between ABG and myself in this thread. The image I played with is one of Andrew's

Below I explain how to adjust the hue/saturation of only PART of an image using Photoshop. The same technique applies to other image adjustments.
[list=1][*]Open image (doh!)
[*]If you can't see the layers palette, hit F7 to display it
[*]Click the fill/adjustment layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette (the circle that's half black & half white) to display the drop down menu in fig 1 below
[*]Choose Hue/Saturation and the standard hue/saturation dialog is displayed. Adjust as needed (I set master to 0, -10, 0 then went to just the yellow channel and set 0, -34, +24. Net result is the sand is lightened up AND less yellow)
[*]Click OK to close the dialog. So far this looks like your image would have if you did the same by choosing Hue/Saturation from the Image/Adjustment menu, but...
[*]Note how the layers palette is now showing TWO layers. One called background and the other called Hue/Saturation. This is where you selectively remove the effect.
[*]Change your colour to black
[*]Choose a reasonably big brush with a feathered edge
[*]Paint over the picture where you want to remove the effect and the original image will show through

I reached this stage. I painted over the image, and nothing happened. Ok, I thought, wrong layer. I selected the other layer. Big black paint all over the image.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Ah, foreground colour.
Fortigurn

Postby Kris on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:09 pm

I cant see the before/after images :(
5D | 16-35L | 35L | 85L | 135L | 70-200F2.8IS | 580EX
My Blog - http://www.allkris.com
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dastrix
My Website - http://www.kriskeen.com.au
Kris

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Kris wrote:I cant see the before/after images :(

Niether can I.
Alpha_7

Postby digitor on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:

Niether can I.

This might be because this thread is eight months old.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby stubbsy on Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:21 pm

digitor wrote:
Alpha_7 wrote:

Niether can I.

This might be because this thread is eight months old.

Cheers

Yep that's exactly the reason. When I manipulate someone else's work it goes into a temporary folder on my SmugMug site with a view to ultimately deleting it since it is, after all, effectively borrowed from the original photographer. Every 6 months or so this folder gets culled. I no longer have the originals on my hard drive either so I can't even repost them, sorry guys.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Post Processing