Nikon View NX 1.2 now available

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon View NX 1.2 now available

Postby DVEous on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:07 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sat May 03, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Re: Nikon View NX 1.2 now available

Postby Matt. K on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Thanks for the tip. It's still one of my most used programs.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby DVEous on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:29 pm

... Obsolete ...
DVEous

Postby radar on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Thanks for that.

On my Mac, I don't notice a slowdown in browsing.

As for the some of the new features, I like the new ability to manually add GPS data. Just click on the GeoTag button the tool bar and it opens up a Google Maps window with the photos you had selected. You can then drill down to your location and use that to geotag the photo. Nice little extra feature. Not great for a lot of photos but to do a one off, can be useful.

edit: As for the quick adjustments, most of the new ones were in earlier version of Nikon View and got removed recently and there were certainly users complaining to Nikon about this, looks like they were listening :)

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby ATJ on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:21 pm

VK4CP wrote:Nikon are playing games, even with the free View NX.
I went to Nikon-Asia, followed the path to support... downloads, blah blah blah.
Downloaded View NX 1.2 (which took an eternity to download!), only to discover it was the download for the USA market.
A dialog box kindly told me that, and that the old version had to be un-installed first.

I didn't find that at all. I clicked on the "Check for Updates..." from the Help menu of ViewNX. It opened Nikon Message Center which told me version 1.2 was available, I clicked on "Details" and then "download page". That took me to Nikon-Asia, I downloaded it, and it installed without any problems at all. I didn't have to uninstall the older version or anything.
ATJ

Postby chrisk on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:12 pm

ATJ wrote:
VK4CP wrote:Nikon are playing games, even with the free View NX.
I went to Nikon-Asia, followed the path to support... downloads, blah blah blah.
Downloaded View NX 1.2 (which took an eternity to download!), only to discover it was the download for the USA market.
A dialog box kindly told me that, and that the old version had to be un-installed first.

I didn't find that at all. I clicked on the "Check for Updates..." from the Help menu of ViewNX. It opened Nikon Message Center which told me version 1.2 was available, I clicked on "Details" and then "download page". That took me to Nikon-Asia, I downloaded it, and it installed without any problems at all. I didn't have to uninstall the older version or anything.

+1
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby BullcreekBob on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:57 pm

For me, this upgrade appears to be much faster at displaying images, the slideshow seems far far more stable; and I love the number of quick adjustments that can be made without needing to invoke CNX2.

Absolutely the best software upgrade from Nikon this year, better than the CNX1 -> CNX2 upgrade.

YMMV
BullcreekBob

Postby DVEous on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:20 pm

... Obsolete ...
DVEous

Postby chrisk on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:40 pm

when i went to d/load it came up with a little box that said something like "there is an older version of ViewNX on this computer do you want to uninstall the older version ?". i clicked yes and that was that. easy peasy. :)
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:45 pm

VK4CP wrote:This viewer has become somewhat of an editor.

Not sure about the "has become" .... in the days BNX, when installing the older Nikon View, you also found yourself with a cut-down editor, and actually, I thought that is was, for the price (gratis), pretty bloody good. It had direct access to your raw data, limited but very useful editing capabilities, and you could put a very effective but simple workflow into place.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:56 pm

I find it a huge improvement over the old one. Much faster. Reduced need to shut it down and reboot. I did go from 1.0x to 1.2 though. For some reason, I missed 1.1 I know I downloaded it, but didn't install somehow. Perhaps that had the "wrong country" problem. This one sure didn't.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Return to Post Processing