Calling all Wellingtonians (NZ)

For those in places other than Straya.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Calling all Wellingtonians (NZ)

Postby ozimax on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:27 pm

I wonder if there are any Kiwi DSLRusers from the Wellington area? The reason is as follows: I am working in New Zooland for a few weeks, specifically I will be in the Wellington area from approx Tues 2nd Sept to Fri 5th Sept. I was thinking that if any one was interested, we could organise a micro meet for one afternoon/night in or around the city. Local knowledge of good photography spots is always appreciated, so if anyone is interested, post away.

P.S. I should have a prepaid mobile up and running by next Monday for contact purposes etc.

Thanks in advance,

Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: Calling all Wellingtonians (NZ)

Postby Antsl on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi Ozi...
I did all my photography studies in Wellington... great place. I don't know anyone that I can connect you with but my advice to you is, rent a car and drive up through Porirua to the West coast for a drive one afternoon.... it is very beautiful. As another option go out to Seatoun... another beautiful spot. It is actually one of the nicest cities in NZ... the only pity is that it can also be one of the windiest and in winter, that wind is cold!
Dress warm and take plenty of memory! Have fun, Ants :up:
Antsl

Postby Phil64 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:27 pm

Lived in Sydney for nearly 12 years but still regard myself as a Wellingtonian - get back quite often and have taken a few pics - incl. a (very) few on my site at http://www.uber.com/phil - I'll actually be there on the Thursday and Friday (but prob. tied up for work).

Wellington is a nice 'compact' city pretty much defined by the harbour and the hills with lots of photo opps which can be explored on foot but a lot will be driven by the weather. (Not sure about night photos though - there's some light sculptures on the road out to the airport but not really suitable for walking to or parking).

My recommendations:

1 - the waterfront - from Oriental Bay past Waitangi Park and Te Papa (National Museum) around past the Star Boating Club and the new harbour developments. Along the way there are some quirky sculptures, and poetry about Wellington and a water 'sculpture' by Len Lye.

2 - the Cable Car up to the Botanic Gardens, Bolton Cemetry and old houses on Tinakori Road, the Beehive and old Parliament Buildings (including the General Assembly Library) and the old wooden Government Buildings (now part of Victoria University).

3 - the 'street life' in Cuba St, the former Dominion Museum Buildings (now owned by Massey Unversity) and the War Memorial/Carillion (including the tomb of the unknown soldier).

4 - if you have a car, a trip tbrough Petone to Eastbourne and Days Bay and a trip around the coast from Seatoun (mentioned by Antsl) past the airport all the way to Island Bay. Apart from the rugged landscape there are some 'treasures' like a memorial to Ataturk and an Easter Island-style figure on the coast. There's also a good lookout over the city at the top of Mt Victoria.

5 - time permiting, the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary is world-class -see http://www.sanctuary.org.nz.

Hope the above gives you some ideas - there's a good Information Centre in the centre of town [in Civic Square]. A lot comes down to what you are interested in (shooting) - nature/old buildings/'street' etc.

Feel free to PM me - would be happy to meet up if I have some free time on the Thursday and Friday!
Phil64

Postby ozimax on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks Ant, & Phil, I'll pm you if I can get my prepaid ph working and then call you, Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to The Rest Of The World