San Diego

For those in places other than Straya.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

San Diego

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Looks like I'll be heading there in mid January to run some training courses for my US and European based colleagues (and hopefully a Train the trainer course, although I don't mind running the courses ;)). I should be there for a couple of weeks, will have nights and weekends free.

Can anyone give any advice on some must sees? I am thinking the Zoo and Animal Park for starters, not sure about SeaWorld.

And being the food lover I am, if anyone has been there and has a great place to recommend please do. Any style of cooking :)

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby Yi-P on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:01 pm

Last time I've been to the sea ports and the naval bases, there is a decommissioned aircraft carrier docked there as a museum for you to see. I think it is worth it, or maybe I'm just a plane freak... :P

Getting on the flight deck around sunset gives you a real good view!
Yi-P

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Being a Navy brat that would be pretty sweet!
bwhinnen

Postby bwhinnen on Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:56 pm

Well this is now the first two weeks of February and cross fingers the family is coming with me and then we'll spend another two weeks gallivanting up and down the east (edit west) coast (Santa Clara, Seattle (well our labs at Redmond) for work visits) and then LA, San Fran, Las Vegas and anywhere else that takes our fancy...

So any must see's let me know...
Last edited by bwhinnen on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwhinnen

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:06 pm

bwhinnen wrote:Well this is not the first two weeks of February and cross fingers the family is coming with me and then we'll spend another two weeks gallivanting up and down the east coast (Santa Clara, Seattle (well our labs at Redmond) for work visits) and then LA, San Fran, Las Vegas and anywhere else that takes our fancy...

Er, Brett, They're all on the west coast ....

So any must see's let me know...

San Diego ... The Old Town is well worth a visit, and for a good feed, there's the Old Town Mexican Cafe, just across the road from Old Town.

The whole of the Balboa Park area is a must see. This includes the zoo, an aerospace museum, and whole swag of small museums plus the gardens and the Japanese gardens.

Mission Beach is good, with a wooden roller coaster :)

Fry's for your electronics shopping.

And a visit across the border to Mexico should be a worthwhile exercise too.

Of course, in San Diego, you're only an hour or so south of Orange County, which means Disneyland, Laguna Beach (Las Brisas for a different view of Mexican cuisine and a spectacular view over the Pacific - recommended for a sunset meal), and don't overlook the Guitar Center just off I5 halfway between LAX and Irvine if you're into musical stuff (and there's a Fry's just around the corner too. :) )
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bwhinnen on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks Gary!

And yes the west coast! I was thinking that we were skipping the east coast this trip when I was typing (we were planning Boston, NYC, Niagra and Washington DC) but decided to do that later...
bwhinnen

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 pm

By the time you get there, Brett, you may be buying more than US$1 with your trusty A$1. Half your luck! Someone today was forecasting $1.12 by February.

Should make it a bit easier with the family in tow. :D
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Hudo on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:55 am

For about 3 years I worked for a US technology business owned by Australians based in San Diego. We had a manufacturing plant just over the US / Mexican border. The towns name is Tecate, famous for it's beer manufacturing. We where the 2nd largest employer in Tecate. This was 10 years ago this month.

Having spent close to 15 years as a Asian road warrior I found Tecate a little like the wild west and more so than my Asian experiences. Well worth the visit and the colours and contrasts are brilliant. The other funky town is Lahoa (spelling?) on the coast that's real nice.

Love those Holiday Inns.....

Mark
Hudo

Postby bwhinnen on Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Well it has changed slightly now...

Typical really :)

First week in Santa Clara, next 1/2 week in San Diego, rest of week in Seattle (our labs in Redmond, Microsoft). Then where ever we fancy.

I am going to try and wing it so I get to drive from Santa Clara to San Diego on the Saturday - Sunday, which should be an experience :D

Thanks for the tips all!
bwhinnen

Postby gasgasgas on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:54 am

Brett,

When you come around this w/e to drop off the editors stuff, remind me to call Mark and I'll see if I can rustle up some good eating places and sights on the WEST coast. ;)

Cheers
Simon Grounds
Previously disappointed Nikon user. Now happy to have stuck with it. :) Bring on the lotto win for some new Nikon's ;)
gasgasgas

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:35 am

bwhinnen wrote:I am going to try and wing it so I get to drive from Santa Clara to San Diego on the Saturday - Sunday, which should be an experience :D

PCH, with the overnight in San Luis Obispo. Try to make it a two or three nighter, and then you can spend more time in the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area, as well as, perhaps, Santa Barbara.

This is an area where you can definitely benefit from spending a bit more time in your travels.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raskill on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Sounds like you'll have a great time!

Try and visit some iconic motorsports places to make us all jelous! Should be dollar parity by then, great timing!
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby gstark on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Raskill wrote:Try and visit some iconic motorsports places to make us all jelous!

On the west coast?

Laguna Seca is the the only place that comes close to iconic, but even that's a stretch.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Re: San Diego

Postby henrygrik on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi,
San Diego, "Americas Finest City." Ask almost anyone who lives here. Whether you are a first-time visitor or a native San Diegan, there are always infinite things to do and places to explore, the only problem is fitting them all in!

Visit the big blue Pacific or the border towns of Tijuana and Tecate. Shop. Stay in a world-class hotel. Eat in a restaurant that's unrivaled. If you are the active and adventuresome type, San Diego is for you. Probably the only place in the world where you can surf in the morning, race desert buggies in the afternoon, and snow ski in the evening!
henrygrik

Re:

Postby ozimax on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:25 pm

bwhinnen wrote:I am going to try and wing it so I get to drive from Santa Clara to San Diego on the Saturday - Sunday, which should be an experience :D

I am planning on being in San Diego for the first two weeks of Feb too. Give me a wave as you drive (crawl) down the I-5, I'll be staying in Oceanside, just north of SD.

Socal/SD is a great place but has abysmal traffic, possibly the worst in the USA. For a cheap place to eat, try Chipotle restaurants, they are everywhere in Socal, cheap but good.

Ozi.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby ATJ on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Um.... this thread dates from October/November 2007 and relates to a trip Brett was planning in early 2008. I assume he's been and come home already. :P
ATJ

Postby ozimax on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Andrew, by George you're right. Oh well, in case anyone else is travelling to SD in the next few months, you never know.... :mrgreen:

I still prefer Bakersfield as the place to visit in the USA, or maybe San Bernadino...
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to The Rest Of The World