Boston/New England

For those in places other than Straya.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Boston/New England

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed May 23, 2007 11:22 pm

I'm off to Boston in a few weeks to do a chair making workshop. I will spend a couple of extra weeks there. This is my first time in the USA. I will be free from July 6th till about the 20th.
I do want to visit the Shaker villages in NE, but apart from that, I have no ideas.
Any suggestions of must see/do.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed May 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Katie has seen more of Boston then I have (both my trips I've worked more then I've been out sight seeing). But Boston is a great place, we were there only a few weeks ago, just as the days were warming up and it was beautiful.

We took a Whale Watching Tour, that lasted 3-4hours and cost about $35 per head, I really enjoyed that. There are various trolley tours that are get on get off around Central Boston. Time before we went on a duck tour and it was very enjoyable, a fun and interesting way to see Boston. There are Ghost tours haven't tried that one, great architecture. Most the trolley tours offer a free Cruise that lasts about 50 minutes, pass by the U.S.S. Constitution, and see the City from the Water.

I have a few shots here, and I'm happy to answer any questions or get Katie on to answer them if we can, you'll love it, we certainly have both times.

http://snaps.coffeeloungegallery.com/ma ... emId=14400
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Thu May 24, 2007 8:17 am

Greg,

Boston is a great city, both to explore, and to leave. :)

First of all, you'll be there during high summer; it'll be warm to hot, and on the east coast, humid.

Will ou be renting a car? I would suggest that, for at least a few days so that you can travel around that corner of the world.

With a car you can head north from Boston into Salem. It's one of the few tourist cities that's based upon fact, and fascinating to spend a day or so wandering around in. About an hour or so north of Boston.

Head north west from Boston, into Vermont. Beautiful countryside, Ben and Jerry's, moose .... Burlington is about a four hour drive, and a whole world away from the bustle of Boston.

About a half day's drive south from Boston and you'll find yourself in NY City.

And don't forget the areas around Cape Cod ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Katie G on Thu May 24, 2007 10:22 am

i personally love Boston, i love walking around this city, it is flat and the people are really friendly. i spent a whole week walking the city and surrounds. You definately need to take a walk through the common and public gardens - they were beautiful when we were there 3 weeks ago. if you are going to have a car definately take a trip to the Cape (about 6 hrs drive depending on what time of day you go) it is full of little shops but is very touristy.
just be aware that alot of the areas are quite touristy - Fanueil Hall, Qunicy Market, Harvard Yard, Salem. if you are there in high season these places will be packed with tourists so they may not be as enjoyable.
do you know where you are staying? if you into it you could always try to fit in a baseball game or a boston harbour cruise.
for food definetly try Lucca in the North End - best food we had on your trip.
Katie G

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri May 25, 2007 9:53 am

Thank you all for your tips.
I will be staying in Malden about 20 min by train from my course venue in North Bennet St just around the corner from Paul Revere's house, or so I am led to believe.
The plan is for me to go over and do the workshop while on shank's pony, then Pam will join me when that ends. on July 6. We will then hire a car as we want to visit the various Shaker villages. scattered through MA, NH, Maine, Vermont. We will try to mosey around on back roads as they tend to be the most rewarding. At this stage, we don't know whether we will base ourselves in Malden for the second part, or bounce from motel to motel.

The thought of NYC that close is also appealing, but cities tend not to be our scene, so that will be at most an overnight trip. See it once. say "Been there done that" & move on.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Fri May 25, 2007 10:36 am

Mr Darcy wrote:The thought of NYC that close is also appealing, but cities tend not to be our scene, so that will be at most an overnight trip. See it once. say "Been there done that" & move on.

Think beyond the city ...

Although NYC has much to offer, there's also Long Island ... head out towards the eastern edges and you'll find, believe it or not, wineries!

Don't forget upstate NY as well ... which includes places like Lake Placid and Woodstock.

And yes, just touring the backwoods will be very beneficial.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Boston/New England

Postby henrygrik on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:54 pm

Hi,
I would suggest visitor to visit also the places like Boston Guildhall in which the Pilgrim Fathers were tried, on the first floor, by the magistrates, was converted into a museum in 1929. The American Room was opened by the U.S. Ambassador, Joseph P. Kennedy in 1938. The cells in which the pilgrims are said to have been held at the time of their trial are on the ground floor. In 2005 it was closed for repair and refurbishment. - The Pilgrim Fathers Memorial is located on the north bank of The Haven a few miles outside the town. It was here at Scotia Creek, that the pilgrims made their first attempt to leave for Holland in 1607.
henrygrik

Return to The Rest Of The World