Northern hemisphere chapter of the D70Users...

For those in places other than Straya.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Northern hemisphere chapter of the D70Users...

Postby Charlie Chalk on Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:54 am

Don't suppose there is enough of us 'northerners' to have our own get together?

CC
Charlie Chalk

Postby Neeper on Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:04 am

I am in the northern hemisphere on the other side of the earth.
Neeper

Postby Charlie Chalk on Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:40 am

ahhh...may have to re-think the logistics of this a little.
Charlie Chalk

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:47 am

I'll be in Hawaii next week if that helps ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Charlie Chalk on Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:53 am

If ever I had to make a sacrifice in the name of my hobby, a trip to Hawaii would be the one I'd choose!

I'm there; just got to persuade the wife it’s a bona-fide business trip that will reap shed loads of money in the long run...how difficult can that be?

Keep an eye out for me, I’ll be the pasty white (going very red very quickly) bloke with rolled up trousers and a knotted hanky chief on my head, looking for the fish and chip shop.

CC
Charlie Chalk

Postby Marvin on Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:25 am

Great mental picture Charlie! :lol:
I am imagining those Monty Python characters with the knotted hankies and the silly walks!
Marvin

Re: Northern hemisphere chapter of the D70Users...

Postby fozzie on Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:57 am

Charlie Chalk,

Charlie Chalk wrote:Don't suppose there is enough of us 'northerners' to have our own get together?

CC

Closer to home, run an 'ad' in your local newspaper for other D70Users to contact you by whatever means, then have them register to forum.d70users.com. Then you can hold your own local 'Mini Meet'. It would be the very first overseas.

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marty on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:47 pm

Hey Charlie Chalk,
great image of yourself, but you forgot the compulsory bottle of Newcastle Brown...!!!
I used to live in the North East of UK, but now reside in OZ.
Good luck organising a meet.
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:57 pm

Marvin wrote:Great mental picture Charlie! :lol:
I am imagining those Monty Python characters with the knotted hankies and the silly walks!

We see them all the time here at Bondi Beach.

Too often though, rather than pommy tourists, they're Japanese, walking down to the water, fully dressed (but with rolled up trousers) with their PHDs in hand, fmeales giggling hysterically.

Was that politically incorrect enough for everyone today, on this Oz Day 2005? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Newbie checking in from Up North....

Postby chris1968 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:21 am

Hello folks, thought i'd check in and say 'Hi'. Happened across the forum yesterday whilst enduring another busy day in the office, now at home, getting to grips with a new PC and a new D70. All of this malarkey is new to me so i hope you dont mind me mooching around, picking up tips and asking the odd question or two

Didnt appear to be a general spot for me to raise my head as it were so i figured i'd tie my colurs straight to the mast and admit to being from the Northen hemisphere, little place called Marsden, West Yorks in Sunny :roll: Ole Englande.

Have used Nikon gear for 15+years, am hoping the D70 gets me reinvigourated - gotta be honest ny F80 aint been out for so long now i,m begining to think its scared of the light :lol: Think the whole 'immediacy' of digital is a clincher for me - ie no waiting for slides to come back in the post - that said i'm guessing its gonna be a steep learning curve with the camera and photoshop etc - my home village is a former Luddite stronghold - a tradition i have, as yet, upheld without any great effort :lol:

Here's looking forward to catching up with you folks over a post or two....
chris1968

Location: Dark Side of the Moors. West Yorks. England.....D70

Postby MCWB on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:05 am

Welcome Chris! :) Plenty of good information around here, you can find info on almost anything to do with your D70 (and not :)). I've no doubt you'll enjoy your new acquisition, the learning curve for the camera and digital darkroom together is a steep one, but one that's well worth mastering!
MCWB

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:15 am

Yes, welcome Chris. And I'm sure you'll enjoy your foray back into photography.
You live in an area that must have plenty of photographic attractions - I hope we get to see some pix from you.
I think you'll find that there are more than a few members with connections back to the Old Dart, too.
Cheers :)
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: Newbie checking in from Up North....

Postby fozzie on Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:23 am

chris1968,

chris1968 wrote:Hello folks, thought i'd check in and say 'Hi'. Happened across the forum yesterday whilst enduring another busy day in the office, now at home, getting to grips with a new PC and a new D70. All of this malarkey is new to me so i hope you dont mind me mooching around, picking up tips and asking the odd question or two

Didnt appear to be a general spot for me to raise my head as it were so i figured i'd tie my colurs straight to the mast and admit to being from the Northen hemisphere, little place called Marsden, West Yorks in Sunny :roll: Ole Englande.

Have used Nikon gear for 15+years, am hoping the D70 gets me reinvigourated - gotta be honest ny F80 aint been out for so long now i,m begining to think its scared of the light :lol: Think the whole 'immediacy' of digital is a clincher for me - ie no waiting for slides to come back in the post - that said i'm guessing its gonna be a steep learning curve with the camera and photoshop etc - my home village is a former Luddite stronghold - a tradition i have, as yet, upheld without any great effort :lol:

Here's looking forward to catching up with you folks over a post or two....

Welcome to the forum. This is a very friendly envirnoment :). So ask questions and you are sure to receive answers.

Enjoy your new toys and post some pictures soon.

What lens or lenses do you have :?:

FYI: you can join up free at PixSpot.com for displaying pictures:

http://pixspot.com/

and this post describes how to embed pictures:

http://www.d70users.net/viewtopic.php?t ... 1aff46df6a

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:47 pm

Firstly welcome Chris and that makes for at least three UK forum members.

Maybe we should aim for a 2010 meet of all members from all over the world at a place convenient to all - South Africa would be great for a safari with Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus et al. dslr users.

Let’s see some pics soon of your part of the world.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Charlie Chalk on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:34 pm

Morning Chris

Hope you get as much from the forum as I have; it's been a great source of info and inspiration

Word of warning though, you'd better ask all the questions you have ASAP, I've a feeling they may not be talking to us 'pommies' after the Ashes has finished!

CC
Charlie Chalk

Re: Northern hemisphere chapter of the D70Users...

Postby chris1968 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:27 pm

hello folks, thanks for the welcoming words - looks like i have to try and get used to working this forum malarkey as well, lets try and pick up a quote or two so i can make some replies...

Enjoy your new toys and post some pictures soon.

What lens or lenses do you have

Fozzie - i'm sure my new toys will initially drive me up the wall but i'm looking forward to getting to grips with them

as for my kit, currently i have
f50, f80, D70, Nikon 28mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 18-70 DS kit lens, Sigma 24-70 2.8. Sigma 70-300,cheap extension tubes. Somewhere around here i have a mamiya 645 with standard lens as well....

think i just proved i'm not au-fait ith the quote system but, hey - ho..

Firstly welcome Chris and that makes for at least three UK forum members.

Only 3? can only assume folks aint looking to hard then, the amateur photograhper forum looks pretty good but quiet and the dpreview forum seems very good, very global but very big - i've yet to get to grips with it.
Wheres you lot seem to be very busy and friendly.

Give me a week or so to get to grips with stuff - i really am new to all of this stuff and i'l ltry and put a photo up - if only to prove i can! My part of the world is not too bad - i keep thinking i should set myself a project to get some pictures around here- cos i live here i just take it for granted - given the choice id rather be off in the dales or lake district.....

And finally - charlie chalk - you never know, we nay be able to get a few more pomies on board and then arrange the odd meet or two - notwithstanding photo opportunities my home village supports over 25 licenced premesis, including a micro brewery (my can of hand held action!)and yes - it has a train station so you can enjoy the facilities and leave the car at home....... :D

oh - brave words ref the ashes......... i know this week has pretty much been beer and skittles for our boys us but hey, wait until the competition grow up and come back :wink: , as for the auzzies, i wont bet my gear on the outcome :D

as for the 2010 meet idea - if i start working on 'er indoors now...........

catch up with you guys soon

Chris
chris1968

Location: Dark Side of the Moors. West Yorks. England.....D70

Postby digitor on Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:02 pm

Charlie Chalk wrote:Word of warning though, you'd better ask all the questions you have ASAP, I've a feeling they may not be talking to us 'pommies' after the Ashes has finished!

CC

Charlie, the boys have been lulling you into a false sense of security! Now the odds have improved sufficiently, and they have got all the bets on, the winning will start.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Charlie Chalk on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:39 am

Charlie, the boys have been lulling you into a false sense of security! Now the odds have improved sufficiently, and they have got all the bets on, the winning will start.

hmmm, well the winning did start, but it ended very abruptly (for you guys at least!)

What a fantastic sporting spectacle, made all the better by the spirit of true sportsmanship that it was played by, witnessing some of the greatest exponents of the hallowed game, playing with the utmost respect for each other - it was a joy to behold! (Only eclipsed by seeing an Ozzy sportsman admitting someone is better than him! :wink: )

Roll on the next test!
D70
50mm f1.8 (hooray!) - 28-80mm f? (booo!)
Sigma 14mm (hooray-ish)
SB600 (double hooray!)
Manfrotto 0055b

Nikon SLR lenses - New UK Booster Seat law explained
Charlie Chalk

Return to The Rest Of The World