Horses for Courses

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Horses for Courses

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 pm

A couple of new horses hanging around the Stark ranch

The Workhorse. Freshly purchased, will be the primary camera on our New Orleans Jazzfest trip this year. Also taking in LA, DC, Raleigh, Miami and Key West.

The Show Pony. A review unit, courtesy of Nikon Australia. This is a very controversial camera, as you know.

I think that the knurled aluminium knobs on the lh side of the body - used for ISO and EV compensation - are a bit too thick; to me they look overdone and thus they're overly heavy (looking). As y'all know, it does not have video, and that was one of the factors in my D800e purchase. Along with the higher resolution that it offered. Also on the lh side, the end of the camera seems to be quite thick and is very squarely rendered. Most of these comments are merely cosmetic, of course, and have no bearing on how the camera works.

In the hand, this camera feels bloody awesome (both of them do) but the sound of the Df is .... OMFGGood. For those of us who do like the retro look, the sound is even better than how it looks.

The unit I got came with the new 50mm f/1.8G lens, and this lens is no slouch. I'll post a couple of images later, but it seems to on a similar plane as the 50mm f/1.4D that I have.

But using my legacy glass presented an issue. The G glass works fine, but where the D glass is supposed to work, I was seeing Feee messages with the 50mm f/1.4, the 80-400 VR, the 85mm f/14 and the 24mm f/2.8, all of which have the correct electronic contacts inside the lens mount. We were out for the day, and this was truly puzzling me.

I need to check on this, but in order to get the body to work with this glass, I needed to set the AI tab into place; the Df uses the mechanical coupling to set the aperture. I was stunned. I'm still undecided as to whether I think that this is a good thing, but in my heart of hearts, the concept of setting my aperture using the aperture ring on the lens is very appealing.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Horses for Courses

Postby zafra52 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:05 pm

looking forward to see the results.
zafra52

Postby aim54x on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:20 pm

obvious...but make sure they are locked down to minimum aperture, and also make sure the meter coupling lever (near the screw on the front panel) on the Df is in the up position (it looks like it is in the down position).

EDIT: correcting terminology
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 pm

aim54x wrote:obvious...but make sure they are locked down to minimum aperture, and also make sure the meter coupling lever (near the screw on the front panel) on the Df is in the up position (it looks like it is in the down position).

Exactly, and no, not obvious. The D lenses are only working with the tab set in the down position, and by using the aperture ring.

Locked into minimum aperture is how I tried them first; it's how they work on every other Nikon DSLR body that I have, including the D800e. That threw the Fee error in the viewfinder, and no images were able to be produced. IN S mode, I had the error. In A mode the aperture was unable to be set; it remained set at the lens's maximum aperture. The only thing I didn't try was a percussive device.

It was only by pulling the coupling lever down, into its active position, and by then using the aperture ring on the lens, that I was able to get these lenses to work with the Df body.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 am

gstark wrote:but the sound of the Df is .... OMFGGood

meh does it take good pictures :lol:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 am

biggerry wrote:
gstark wrote:but the sound of the Df is .... OMFGGood

meh does it take good pictures :lol:

No. That's up to the photographer. :lol:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 am

gstark wrote:No. That's up to the photographer. :lol:

its hard to cut down a tree with a butter knife ;)

In all seriousness, the Df is cool but crippled. The D800e is a dream camera and I reckon I could take better shots with it than my D7000

have fun in the states.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby gstark on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Gerry,

I'm not convinced that crippled is the right word. Some might say that the absence of video might cause it be crippled, but while I don't see the absence of video as being a good thing, it certainly doesn't cripple the camera: it still takes fine images (subject to competent user inputs, YMMV, free set of steak knoives upon redemption), and the more I play with it, the more it seems that leaving video is a consistent decision in terms what seem to be its design objectives.

Maybe conflicted could be a better word? I let Leigh have a quick play with it last evening, and he had another photographer friend around too. The consensus was that someone like myself, and most likely Matt and Chris, would derive a high level of enjoyment from this camera. As I said, just listening to the shutter brings a bid bloody smile to my face. And just the feel of this camera too ... :D :D :D

That said, my earlier comments regarding using the D glass still hold true: there's a basic conflict in having the electronics for setting the aperture on board, but not actually using them. While I'm checking with Nikon on this aspect, the concept of using the aperture ring is (almost perversely) appealing to me.

We're not leaving until ANZAC Day, but thanks for the good wishes. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Gary
You're leaving Australia on ANZAC day!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The plane will be full of Japanese and Germans!!! :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:15 pm

I've had a play with a friends Df and at a cursory level it seems nice enough and it does feel pretty nice in the hand. I'm pretty sure he was shooting with the 35/2 and 20/2.8 (both D lenses).
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Horses for Courses

Postby chrisk on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:30 pm

I think crippled is the right word to be honest. The major issue I have with the df, aside from the obvious video, is the implementation of the dials. They frustrated the heck out of me when I was using it briefly. I also hate that front vertical control wheel. Freakin stupid. And for a camera that's supposed to appeal to manual focus photographers....where the bloody hell is focus peaking ? Crazy stuff.

The only thing it has going for it is having one of the best sensors going around at the moment, the IQ will be superb. I have no question about that. But it's a classic "what could have been" camera.

Regardless, enjoy them. I think for your sort of low light atmospheric club shooting the df will blow the d800e out of the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:33 pm

gstark wrote:
aim54x wrote:obvious...but make sure they are locked down to minimum aperture, and also make sure the meter coupling lever (near the screw on the front panel) on the Df is in the up position (it looks like it is in the down position).

Exactly, and no, not obvious. The D lenses are only working with the tab set in the down position, and by using the aperture ring.

Locked into minimum aperture is how I tried them first; it's how they work on every other Nikon DSLR body that I have, including the D800e. That threw the Fee error in the viewfinder, and no images were able to be produced. IN S mode, I had the error. In A mode the aperture was unable to be set; it remained set at the lens's maximum aperture. The only thing I didn't try was a percussive device.

It was only by pulling the coupling lever down, into its active position, and by then using the aperture ring on the lens, that I was able to get these lenses to work with the Df body.

I should have been phrased it differently, the meter coupling lever should NOT be in the retracted (it folded down or flush to the body) when you are using the D-type lenses. It seems that you have it sorted. You should be able to activate the use of aperture control via the aperture ring (on the lenses) in your custom set up menu....
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 am

Just think how good the images from New Awlins would be if you were using a Canon... :biglaugh:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:45 am

ozimax wrote:Just think how good the images from New Awlins would be if you were using a Canon... :biglaugh:

I actually thought about getting a 5D instead of the D800e, but the overall cost would have been around $10K more, due to the fact that I'd need to buy glass to suit; all I have in Canon glass is kit glass ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon