Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon?

Postby haring on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:28 am

I would like to remotely control my off camera flash with my on camera flash. I am not looking for a separate remote unit like packetwizard. I would like the remote built in the flash itself. Canon has the 600EX-RT with a remote in the flash. You can filly control the off camera flash with the on camera Canon flash. Currently Nikon doesn't have a flash like this however I am wondering whether there is any Chinese made flash unit with features similar to the Canon 600EX-RT.
User avatar
haring
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon?

Postby Wink on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:12 am

You can get a radio trigger that will convert the optical messages from the flash to wireless relay them to the other flash and then feed them into that flash as optical messages, so the Nikon iTTL system still works as it normally would.

For the life of me I can't think of their name, but I've seen Dave Black use them in a sports photography video.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
User avatar
Wink
Senior Member
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Seymour, VIC

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 am

What's your objection to using something like a Pocket Wizard? These tools are very reliable, and work very well.

They also permit greater flexibility, and will work across pretty well any strobe head that you throw at them.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22599
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:03 am

If Canon are using the onboard flash to control the remote flashes then it is using an optical system NOT a radio system.
Choose one. Either Radio OR controlled by the onboard flash.

Almost any of Nikon's flashes will do remote triggering controlled by the onboard flash. See the SB900,800,700,600 and their variants.

Pocket Wizard have their Flex system - the TT5, TT1 and AC3 which I use with a mixture of SB900 and 800s. I originally bought the PWs for outdoor use where the Nikon optical system is less reliable. Since i find the AC3 easier to use than the Nikon interface, I use it all the time now even for studio work where the Nikon system is 100% reliable..

Phottix do a compatible flash system (Mitros) that is cheaper than Nikon, and some reviews I have seen claim it is better. They also do a radio system similar to the PWs that preserves iTTL information called Odin. I haven't seen any reviews of it. But generally Phottix is highly regarded in the "off brand" market. I suspect in a few years they will become one of the major players in this arena.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
User avatar
Mr Darcy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: The somewhat singed and blackened Blue Mountains

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby Wink on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:38 am

Greg, the new Canon 600 flashes have built in optical AND radio communication.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
User avatar
Wink
Senior Member
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Seymour, VIC

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Wink wrote:Greg, the new Canon 600 flashes have built in optical AND radio communication.

OK I stand corrected, but the radio subsystem is NOT being controlled by the on board flash.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
User avatar
Mr Darcy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: The somewhat singed and blackened Blue Mountains

Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon?

Postby Wink on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:43 pm

I guess that depends on your definition of "on camera flash." I assume the OP is talking about having a speedlite on the camera to communicate to another speedlite. If it's referring to the pop up flash found on some models then you're right. It will only work in optical mode.

You can put the ST-E3-RT transmitter on the camera to control the 600 series too.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
User avatar
Wink
Senior Member
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Seymour, VIC

Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon?

Postby chrisk on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:12 am

I like the fact that canon gives you this as an option. It doesn't interest me perse but the fact they make one and are thinking about it is admirable. Personally I prefer separate controllers like my cybersyncs. They work with any flash and any body and work just as well as PW's for half the price. I just use old nikon sb28's that I got cheap on eBay. I also love that I can slide my commander on any camera body and it controls the flashes seamlessly.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
User avatar
chrisk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 pm
Location: Oyster Bay, Sydney

Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon?

Postby Wink on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 am

The advantage of this is it offers full control of the flash(es) from the camera as well as being ETTL capable rather than just a simple trigger.

I have the PW Flex/Mini systems and I think it's fantastic. If this in built capability was available when I bought my gear then I probably would've skipped the PW gear.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
User avatar
Wink
Senior Member
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Seymour, VIC

Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon?

Postby chrisk on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:09 pm

True if you want ettl, there are options like radiopopper that do that too. I just dot like the idea of my triggers being tied to a system. I like the flexibility of using it on anything cos I do shoot lots of different cameras.

I'm also not big on having a large flash unit mounted either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
User avatar
chrisk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 pm
Location: Oyster Bay, Sydney

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby haring on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:17 am

gstark wrote:What's your objection to using something like a Pocket Wizard? These tools are very reliable, and work very well.

They also permit greater flexibility, and will work across pretty well any strobe head that you throw at them.


It makes everything more complicated. I am a wedding photographer. I don't have time to waste my time with wireless remotes.
User avatar
haring
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby haring on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 am

Mr Darcy wrote:If Canon are using the onboard flash to control the remote flashes then it is using an optical system NOT a radio system.
Choose one. Either Radio OR controlled by the onboard flash.

Almost any of Nikon's flashes will do remote triggering controlled by the onboard flash. See the SB900,800,700,600 and their variants.

Pocket Wizard have their Flex system - the TT5, TT1 and AC3 which I use with a mixture of SB900 and 800s. I originally bought the PWs for outdoor use where the Nikon optical system is less reliable. Since i find the AC3 easier to use than the Nikon interface, I use it all the time now even for studio work where the Nikon system is 100% reliable..

Phottix do a compatible flash system (Mitros) that is cheaper than Nikon, and some reviews I have seen claim it is better. They also do a radio system similar to the PWs that preserves iTTL information called Odin. I haven't seen any reviews of it. But generally Phottix is highly regarded in the "off brand" market. I suspect in a few years they will become one of the major players in this arena.


It is not true. Canon 600EX uses radio....
User avatar
haring
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby haring on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 am

Mr Darcy wrote:
Wink wrote:Greg, the new Canon 600 flashes have built in optical AND radio communication.

OK I stand corrected, but the radio subsystem is NOT being controlled by the on board flash.


Yes, it is. Check the 600 version.
User avatar
haring
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby haring on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 am

Rooz wrote:I like the fact that canon gives you this as an option. It doesn't interest me perse but the fact they make one and are thinking about it is admirable. Personally I prefer separate controllers like my cybersyncs. They work with any flash and any body and work just as well as PW's for half the price. I just use old nikon sb28's that I got cheap on eBay. I also love that I can slide my commander on any camera body and it controls the flashes seamlessly.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I used to have the small nikon flashes. They are awesome for the money you pay for them. They bring back good memories!
User avatar
haring
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby haring on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 am

Wink wrote:The advantage of this is it offers full control of the flash(es) from the camera as well as being ETTL capable rather than just a simple trigger.

I have the PW Flex/Mini systems and I think it's fantastic. If this in built capability was available when I bought my gear then I probably would've skipped the PW gear.


Yes, I agree! Even if it makes the camera/flash system more expensive...
User avatar
haring
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby haring on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:26 am

Rooz wrote:True if you want ettl, there are options like radiopopper that do that too. I just dot like the idea of my triggers being tied to a system. I like the flexibility of using it on anything cos I do shoot lots of different cameras.

I'm also not big on having a large flash unit mounted either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Me, neither... LOL It can be complicated when you have 4 seconds no more to take the picture.
User avatar
haring
Member
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby aim54x on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:47 pm

What Gerg was getting at, was the fact that the on board (pop up) flash is not RF even when used in conjunction with the 600RT, you need either another 600RT or an ST-E3.

Back to the OP's question you can always use the Phottix Mitros+ combined with either an ODIN Transmitter or with second Mitros+, very much the same situation with the Canon 600RT.

Unfortunately the Mitros+, ODIN and Strato TTL solutions are all linked back to either Nikon, Canon or Sony for TTL to work, so there is no cross brand compatibility.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
User avatar
aim54x
Senior Member
 
Posts: 7305
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:13 pm
Location: Penshurst, Sydney

Re: Fash with built in RADIO remote control system for Nikon

Postby chrisk on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:14 pm

agreed cam. if you're a one system shooter, the proprietary ttl restrictions are largely irrelevant.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
User avatar
chrisk
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 pm
Location: Oyster Bay, Sydney


Return to Nikon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests