Optional picture controls

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Optional picture controls

Postby pwoo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:31 am

If I shoot NEF, is there any advantage in loading the optional picture controls (e.g. portrait) to the camera? Or is it the same as applying the picture control in PP (e.g. ViewNX)?

Apart from one less step in the PP, I can only think of may be one reason. You can see the selected picture control effect on the screen (image review and histogram).

Regards,
Patrick.
pwoo

Re: Optional picture controls

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:45 am

I assume you are talking about the little picture icons on the mode select dial: the flower, person, landscape etc.

It varies.
These control an awful lot of variables. Contrast , Saturation etc These can be easily changed in PP, and in fact are just included as a flag in the NEF file. This is why they can be changed after the event with no loss of quality. With JPG on the other hand, the processing is dione in camera, and once set, never changed without degrading the image in some way.

HOWEVER
Some, if not all, these settings also alter the way shutter speed, aperture are handled for a given lighting situation. e.g. the sports icon will try to keep speed high at the expense of Depth of field. These will affect the NEF file in ways that cannot be altered in Post.

The question remains. Why do you want to hand control over to some programmer sitting in an office a long way from the scene you are recording. Yes he might get it right a lot of the time, but there will be times he won't. If you switch to the manual settings (I include M, A, S here) YOU are making those decisions for yourself. It becomes YOUR photo.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby ATJ on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:59 am

Patrick,

The Picture Controls are more to do with determining how JPEG images would be processed in the camera and won't change the raw images. Information MAY get stored in the NEF file in a proprietary way so that ViewNX/CaptureNX can read it and apply to the raw image but I can't be certain. The best way would be to try some of the existing options and then see how they work with ViewNX or CaptureNX. If you use any non-Nikon raw processor it won't be able to read the information if it is there.

Greg,

I think you are talking about P&S mode options rather than Picture Control.
ATJ

Postby scoobydoo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:05 am

I believe pwoo is talking about the picture controls on the nikon cameras lets you customise the degree of saturation, sharpness, brightness, contrasts and so on. This is probably more important if you shot in JPEG only. But if you shoot in RAW it doesn't matter, in Capture NX you can go back and apply a different type of picture control if you like. Most of the time I shoot in VIVID, but if I find it too saturated, I'd go back to Capture NX and select Standard. I guess thats one of the big benefits of shooting in RAW.
scoobydoo

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:27 am

ATJ wrote:Greg,

I think you are talking about P&S mode options rather than Picture Control.

Yes I was and said so:
Mr Darcy wrote:I assume you are talking about the little picture icons on the mode select dial: the flower, person, landscape etc.

The menu item you are talking about is called "Optimise Image" on my camera (D200). I didn't make that connection. Have they renamed it on later cameras?

If that is what OP was talking about, then I agree. It makes no difference if you are shooting NEF. They are just flags in the file & can be changed with impunity later. I never change this menu item. I have it dialed to my own custom setting (Sharp = -2, Sat = 0, Cont = Custom, Mode = II) l& alter things in post if I don't like they way they come out. I use Sharp = low as I prefer the way the Unsharp mask handles sharpening.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:32 pm

I was a bit confused about the Picture Controls as well. Greg's interpretation is correct, ie the SCENE modes change the shutter/aperture as well (may/may not be a good thing), and at the same time the colour options are very pointless if you are using NEF.

However, if you are like me and shoot both NEF+JPG with the inclination of just handing in JPG's most of the time, using the colour settings will help.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby pwoo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks all for the reply.

Mr Darcy wrote:The menu item you are talking about is called "Optimise Image" on my camera (D200). I didn't make that connection. Have they renamed it on later cameras?

Greg,
Yes, I think "Picture Controls" is the new term introduced in 2007(?). It's in D3, D300, D90, etc.

I found this link about it.
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/picturecontrol/index.htm

I was considering whether to uploading the optional picture controls (portrait and landscape) to the D300s, that's why I ask the question.

Regards,
Patrick.
pwoo

Postby ATJ on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:45 pm

aim54x wrote:I was a bit confused about the Picture Controls as well. Greg's interpretation is correct, ie the SCENE modes change the shutter/aperture as well (may/may not be a good thing), and at the same time the colour options are very pointless if you are using NEF.

You have a D300 don't you? Read pages 148ff of the manual. :P Picture Controls are not the same thing as SCENE Modes (which as far as I can tell you don't get in dSLRs at least not on the D300). Picture Controls affect: Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Filter Effects, Toning.
ATJ

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 pm

ATJ wrote:Picture Controls are not the same thing as SCENE Modes (which as far as I can tell you don't get in dSLRs at least not on the D300).

Andrew, Yes Cameron has a d300, but we don't know what Camera Patrick has. The DSLRs D70 through D90 have the Scene modes.
I have access to a D70s and D200. Neither mention "Picture Control" in this context. They use "Optimise Image". I guessed wrong about what Patrick was referring to.

Now lets leave this & get back to the original question, which I think has been answered anyway.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby J.Davis on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Patrick - I found the colours on the D300 where a bit washed out so I downloaded the two files that you refer to and am pleased with the results. Having said that - I shoot jpeg at the moment - and they are designed for that mode.
I believe when you shoot in NEF, you can controle all the settings in PP, so you shouldnt need any 'in camera' adjustments.
Regards
John
Nikon D7000,Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 F2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Nikkor 50 F1.8, Nikkor 85 1.8.
Benro A650, SB600.
J.Davis

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Jon,

Don't forget that you can fine tune your WB settings as well. You may find it worthwhile to have a play in that sandpit, and set your wb values to something other than the defaults.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 am

ATJ wrote:
aim54x wrote:I was a bit confused about the Picture Controls as well. Greg's interpretation is correct, ie the SCENE modes change the shutter/aperture as well (may/may not be a good thing), and at the same time the colour options are very pointless if you are using NEF.

You have a D300 don't you? Read pages 148ff of the manual. :P Picture Controls are not the same thing as SCENE Modes (which as far as I can tell you don't get in dSLRs at least not on the D300). Picture Controls affect: Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Filter Effects, Toning.

yep have a D300. I meant that Greg's comment was correct, not that SCENE = Picture Controls. I have to admit that i have not read the manual cover to cover :oops:

J.Davis wrote:I found the colours on the D300 where a bit washed out so I downloaded the two files that you refer to and am pleased with the results. Having said that - I shoot jpeg at the moment - and they are designed for that mode.
I believe when you shoot in NEF, you can controle all the settings in PP, so you shouldnt need any 'in camera' adjustments.

Yep the D300 is no where near as saturated as the D60, but it is much closer to natural colours.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Nikon