D3 > Shooting to laptop with Camera Control Pro 2

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D3 > Shooting to laptop with Camera Control Pro 2

Postby Dprime on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Hey guys,

I've been playing around shooting with my D3 tethered to a laptop, and using bridge to view, but I've come across something that I can figure out how to change (if you can?)

Once connected, the D3 transfers images taken straight to the Mac, without saving them to the memory card. For me thats a pain, because 1. at the end of the shoot I then have to burn a disc to transfer all the files to my main Mac to work on them, and 2. it means all of the job is stored on a laptop, which I don't like the idea of (easy to steal, can be dropped etc etc).

I'd much rather have the option of having the camera saving the image to both the CF in camera and to the laptop off camera, that way I've got a backup on the laptop after the shoot if anything goes wrong with the CF's, and I can also then just download the images straight from the CF card when I'm at home, rather then having to get them across from the laptop.

I know it can be done with the Canon program and cameras, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it with my Nikon. Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks,
Brett
http://www.BrettHemmings.com

D3 | D3S | A paperweight D2XS | D70s | 14-24 F2.8 | 24-70 F2.8 | 70-200VR F2.8 | 200-400 F4 | 50mm F1.4 | 10.5mm F2.8 | SB800 | SB600's | Elinchrom Lighting & Skyports | P7000
Dprime

Re: D3 > Shooting to laptop with Camera Control Pro 2

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:37 pm

with the D200 and wireless grip, there is a new menu called "MB-D200", there may be a similar one for tethered?

then it just has file options such as CF, PC, both, and also options for file types (RAW and basic etc).

if that's not in the D3, then ship it to me and I can fix it for you :D
Oz_Beachside

Postby ozboyerp on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi

I do not use the same technics but use a 8gb USB key or a hard drive so yo can back it up easily
(I mean hard drive with no plug in to electricity)

Anyway pictures are not mean to stay in the camera!

P :cheers:
ozboyerp

Postby Dprime on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:with the D200 and wireless grip, there is a new menu called "MB-D200", there may be a similar one for tethered?

then it just has file options such as CF, PC, both, and also options for file types (RAW and basic etc).

if that's not in the D3, then ship it to me and I can fix it for you :D

Where does this menu come up? I've searched the camera high and dry and nothing pops up, and there is nothing in the programs options either.
It comes up with "PC" in place of where it ususally says how many shots are left on the card, but yeah, can't figure out how to change it :?
http://www.BrettHemmings.com

D3 | D3S | A paperweight D2XS | D70s | 14-24 F2.8 | 24-70 F2.8 | 70-200VR F2.8 | 200-400 F4 | 50mm F1.4 | 10.5mm F2.8 | SB800 | SB600's | Elinchrom Lighting & Skyports | P7000
Dprime

Return to Nikon