17-35

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

17-35

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:28 pm

My 17-35 is playing up again. Last year, the zoom was sticking badly at about 22mm and wider (as in it wouldn't go there). This turned out to be a problem with the AF motor (it is an AFS lens). The cost to replace the AF motor was estimated at about $1,000. I paid $1,000 for the lens and didn't and couldn't fork out another grand for it.

So, I had the zoom repaired and the AF kind of repaired with one not insignificant problem - I could not focus to infinity at any wider length than about 24mm. I have tried to get around this by focusing at the hypofocal distance when shooting wide (I rarely have had a need to target shallow DOF when shooting at 17mm)

No, a year after the AF was kind of fixed, the AF is going again and seems to not work at all at any focal length.

The problem is, this lens is so good, it pains me to use it when I am have these limitations.

I see my options as:

1. Live with it, use it in MF mode and learn where the hypofocal distance is at the various focal lengths and apertures.
2. Have the AF motor removed (?) and dedicate it to MF but regain ability to focus to infinity at wide angle (I am not sure if this would actually work).
3. Spend $1,000 or so to get the AF motor repaired and effectively have a close to excellent condition lens.
4. Sell the lens (on ebay?) and purchase the 14-24.

The last 2 options are not available financially at this point, but option 2 seems plausible as I would be happy to focus manually.

If anyone can shed any light or learned opinion on this, I would be thankful as I really like this lens.

Cheers
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: 17-35

Postby Geoff on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:My 17-35 is playing up again. Last year, the zoom was sticking badly at about 22mm and wider (as in it wouldn't go there). This turned out to be a problem with the AF motor (it is an AFS lens). The cost to replace the AF motor was estimated at about $1,000. I paid $1,000 for the lens and didn't and couldn't fork out another grand for it.

So, I had the zoom repaired and the AF kind of repaired with one not insignificant problem - I could not focus to infinity at any wider length than about 24mm. I have tried to get around this by focusing at the hypofocal distance when shooting wide (I rarely have had a need to target shallow DOF when shooting at 17mm)

No, a year after the AF was kind of fixed, the AF is going again and seems to not work at all at any focal length.

The problem is, this lens is so good, it pains me to use it when I am have these limitations.

I see my options as:

1. Live with it, use it in MF mode and learn where the hypofocal distance is at the various focal lengths and apertures.
2. Have the AF motor removed (?) and dedicate it to MF but regain ability to focus to infinity at wide angle (I am not sure if this would actually work).
3. Spend $1,000 or so to get the AF motor repaired and effectively have a close to excellent condition lens.
4. Sell the lens (on ebay?) and purchase the 14-24.

The last 2 options are not available financially at this point, but option 2 seems plausible as I would be happy to focus manually.

If anyone can shed any light or learned opinion on this, I would be thankful as I really like this lens.

Cheers

Hi Patrick,

I have seen first hand how this erks you, and it would me too!

Do you have any idea how much you could potentially get for this on ebay as is? Was it Nikon that quoted the fix (the AF motor repaired?, would it be worth trying another repairer, i.e Porodayat Bondi??).
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Hey Geoff

I have seen other 17-35 lenses go for about $1,000 on ebay, although I would be in no position to verify their condition.

If I assume I can get $1,000 for it, I would still need to find another $1,000 or so to get the 14-24 lens (if one could be sourced). I reckon I would be better off going for a new 17-35 from Poon - at least that would only be about $600.

The estimate for repairs was provided by Baltronics (before their restructure) this time last year. I may try Poroday - unless Baltronic were way out of the ball park, I am thinking getting the AF motor repaired may not be feasible. But, I will give them a call. Thanks for the suggestion. :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby dawesy on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:12 pm

FWIW, I just tried to order a 17-35 through Poon and he can't get them ATM, not sure if there is an ETA. DigitalRev have them on ebay for $1600 + $77 postage.

Don't know if that makes things easier or harder for you! I also have a sneaking suspicion the lens may cease production soon.
dawesy

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:08 pm

dawesy wrote:FWIW, I just tried to order a 17-35 through Poon and he can't get them ATM, not sure if there is an ETA. DigitalRev have them on ebay for $1600 + $77 postage.

Don't know if that makes things easier or harder for you! I also have a sneaking suspicion the lens may cease production soon.

Thanks for that - it seems to reconfirm that a repair or mod of the existing lens may be the most practical.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Yi-P on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:30 am

Maybe #4 would be better for it? People on eBay likes to pay more than its worth because of auction pressure? :P

If it goes close to $700, you only need to add $1.3k to your brand new and much better 14-24. Cost of repair, $1k, and with that little extra, you get an upgrade to brand new lens.
Yi-P

Postby MATT on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:52 am

Seeing how you "dropped" the lens accidentally, could insurance possible cover some of the costs???

If you can get $700 for a faulty lens on ebay, I think that would be the way to go.

MATT
MATT

Postby petermmc on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:18 pm

Definitely sell it or trade it in. You can't live with high tech stuff that needs special care. If you trade it in then it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure it works for the next customer. They usually have special deals with suppliers who can fix these things cheaply for them.

I think a duty of care is important because it could be one of us who purchases it.

Get a shiny new 14-24 and the fun you have with that will compensate for the miserable changeover price you will get.

Life's like that. Out with the old and in with the new. You deserve it.
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:50 pm

I will investigate the insurance angle as we have specified this lens (plus our other gear) on our cover.

Yip - coming up with another $1.3k at this stage is not really an option.

At the end of the day, I would be happy to use this as a dedicated MF lens if it's focus and focal ranges were fine - it isn't often I need the lightning fast speed of the AFS.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby jamesw on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:07 pm

If you have insurance cover, you may have accidental damage cover (I do).

The only issue to keep in mind is that there may be some time limit on the time between damage and claim - If you feel like getting 'creative' with that time line, well I guess that's up to you! :twisted:
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 pm

jamesw wrote:If you have insurance cover, you may have accidental damage cover (I do).

The only issue to keep in mind is that there may be some time limit on the time between damage and claim - If you feel like getting 'creative' with that time line, well I guess that's up to you! :twisted:

I have thought of that and I am not one to commit insurance fraud. :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby jamesw on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:18 pm

It is a fine line to tread upon!
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:35 pm

jamesw wrote:It is a fine line to tread upon!

I sell insurance (it is never bought) and the stories you hear of people's questionable disclosure at the time of application always encourages me to be straight up and down (within the realms of interpretation :lol: )
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Onyx on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Patrick, if/when you do get the AFS motor repaired, I for one would be very interested in how much and how long it takes - either out of your pocket or your insurance company's.

I bought my 17-35 with a busted AFS motor, so I've never known its AF properties and have solely used this lens as strictly manual focus one (altho I've never experienced any zoom probs with mine).
Onyx

Postby myarhidia on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:56 pm

Bumping an old thread to find out what the final outcome was. I've got a 'sticky' autofocus problem and suspect the motor needs replacing.
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:03 pm

The lens was fixed, after two months in the shop, with a new AFS motor. Apparently there was confusion regarding ordering and arrival of the part from Nikon Japan. The cost was about $900, and it appears as good as new.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby myarhidia on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:The cost was about $900, and it appears as good as new.

Thanks for the update. Good to know the ballpark, at the moment, it's not a $900 annoyance and something I can live with.

Cheers
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Return to Nikon