D200 official announcement

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby shutterbug on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:43 am

Maybe I will ge 2 :lol:
shutterbug

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:44 am

shutterbug wrote:Put one aside for me birddog :wink:

100% want one, must be maxwell stock.

Have you seen this Leigh?
Even, import stocks are lot cheaper but most they prefer local stocks!!!!!
I have three more preorders from other sources but only with Maxwell stocks.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:46 am

They love to be sucked by Maxwell :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby shutterbug on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:48 am

hahahahahahaha

Will try to get one asap when it is released :wink:

Will put a pre-order at nikononbroadway and ECS too :-)
shutterbug

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:52 am

Sure, you will get one first, as soon as Maxwell takes order and stock delivered.
I have a preorder of two units with HKS last night too.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:52 am

Well I must say I am, on face value, disappointed. 10 megapixel CCD, at least a new 10mega CMOS with effectively improved noise levels at high ISO! :(

As Gary said it would have to be a new design and not just a big brother to the D70, eventhough a 4 megapixel jump would be a significant (albeit comparatively speaking) jump to make in terms of enlargement capacity, all things considered, to make it worthwhile and/or a range of extra features that will compensate :?

I would think that even something like greater range of low noise ISO values would certainly not do in isolation (without a new sensor design) given the inherent problems with DX CCD technology as currently stands and cerainly a smoke screen default software solution would definitely not be tolerated by discerning customers. :roll:

I can't even load up the nikon site to really comment. Apart from the info provided by our family on this thread I would be threadbare :lol: :lol: Got to laugh at something!

Well Birddog I'm hanging out for your review when you get your hot little hands on the item next week. I think my decisions going to be can I wait to raise the extra(considerable) money for a D2X or go with the the D200. :roll:

Cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 am

marcotrov wrote:
Well Birddog I'm hanging out for your review when you get your hot little hands on the item next week. I think my decisions going to be can I wait to raise the extra(considerable) money for a D2X or go with the the D200. :roll:

Cheers
marco

Marco,
Did I tell you and other many times & recommend you go for the D2x, a month ago I had a surprised meeting with some senior Nikon staffs from Japan HQ in Sydney, and I know this new body is not responding to many wishes and wanted from Nikon fans in waiting for moving up or upgrade their DSLR body and putting their hold to acquire the new D2x.

The hands on unit will be available at a very limited time and I may be not able telling you more in specific areas.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby JordanP on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:03 am

From what I can see my next camera will not be the D200 - it will be the D2x or its successor. The D200 doesn't seem a high enough jump to justify spending the $$$$.

Not to mention my d70 is still doing way more than I expected from a sub $2000 camera.

Roll on the next wave.
Craig
JordanP

Postby kipper on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:10 am

If the D200 has better AF (eg. Multi-CAM2000 or similar) then I for one think it'll be a good semi-pro camera. Also if the battery and the AF drive is similar to the D2X that will be another bonus, as Birddog was saying for large lenses the D70 lacks behind because of these things.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby shutterbug on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:10 am

hopefully it has a vertical grip :?:
shutterbug

Postby shutterbug on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:12 am

kipper wrote:If the D200 has better AF (eg. Multi-CAM2000 or similar) then I for one think it'll be a good semi-pro camera. Also if the battery and the AF drive is similar to the D2X that will be another bonus, as Birddog was saying for large lenses the D70 lacks behind because of these things.

Agree Kipper, Hopefully AF is better then the D70
shutterbug

Postby marcotrov on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:15 am

Birddog said:
Marco,
Did I tell you and other many times & recommend you go for the D2x, a month ago I had a surprised meeting with some senior Nikon staffs from Japan HQ in Sydney, and I know this new body is not responding to many wishes and wanted from Nikon fans in waiting for moving up or upgrade their DSLR body and putting their hold to acquire the new D2x.

The hands on unit will be available at a very limited time and I may be not able telling you more in specific areas.
If I had had the cash I think I would have taken your advice :( Hell I may still get it together somewhere in 2007. :lol:

That you did, Birddog, that you did! :wink:
Somewhere deep in my heart I just thought that Nikon would stop resting on their laurels and goodwill and start listening to their customers, if not the open market. But boy! can some people be slow and/or reluctant learners.
It will, however be interesting to see full specs and preview trials with image production by this model. Hell this new CCD sensor better be a revolutionary step!!

cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:16 am

Okay.

They've pulled the container files off of the site.

Silly Nikon! They can't seriously expect people to just wait can they?!

Regardless, I've gone through the code in their Flash file and found what the Nikon site product number will be. It doesn't work yet, but the number is 25235 as in the URL will eventually be something like http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?ca ... ctNr=25235

At the moment, that goes to a 404, however the code looked a bit like this (I've removed some of the tags):

25235, "NK015", "Nikon D200 Digital SLR"
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby kipper on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:20 am

Vince, it won't have a vertical grip because that'd make it too much like a D2X but I'm sure there will be an optional accessory from Nikon.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby shutterbug on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:22 am

I mean an optional accessory grip :wink:
shutterbug

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:37 am

This is where the swf will be if and when they decide to put it back:

http://www.nikondigital.com/product_swfs/d200.swf
Nnnnsic

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:47 am

Nnnnsic wrote:This is where the swf will be if and when they decide to put it back:

http://www.nikondigital.com/product_swfs/d200.swf

Leigh,
It's tempting isn't it?
Don't worry my young friend!
It's bed time for you!!!!!! :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:48 am

I like breaking things, Birdy.

And it probably is, but I'm too lazy to sleep. 8)
Nnnnsic

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:58 am

Leigh,
It's a rehearsal!!! or testing to see the site is working or not!

1,2,3 testing, testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:21 pm

Taps foot impatiently!
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:30 pm

And here's the Rant from Phil at DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05102 ... snhype.asp
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby shutterbug on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's coming :shock:
shutterbug

Postby Onyx on Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:46 pm

tehehe, I'm hoping it's not 10MP or 12MP - but rather another iteration of the current D50/D70's 6MP DX sensor.
:D That would make Nikon teh winnah!
Onyx

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:50 pm

Nah 10mp for the win

12mp is a little too much for my liking I think 10 is a happy medium for everyone.
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:24 pm

Michael wrote:Nah 10mp for the win

12mp is a little too much for my liking I think 10 is a happy medium for everyone.

Actually, and particularly given the pricing regime that Maxwell's seem intent on imposing, 10 is a dismal mediocre.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:34 pm

Pricing?

The D200 hasn't been released yet so I think the price is about as elusive as the cameras itself at the moment.

I'd prefer a great 10mp sensor over a less new 12mp sensor anyday, though I don't know whats going into the camera so all im going to do is sit and wait and get saving!
Are we there yet?
Michael

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:37 pm

I'd have preferred it if they were using the Sony 10.8 CMOS sensor... at least it's a CMOS sensor.

But a 10mp CCD seems weak for the price.
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:15 pm

Michael wrote:Pricing?

The D200 hasn't been released yet so I think the price is about as elusive as the cameras itself at the moment.

No, not really. We have already been told that Maxwell's RRP (Recommended Ripoff Price) will be around PP3900.

Given the stated US pricing just 1699, that makes Maxwell'$ price about one return airfare to the USofA plus two nights' accommodation at a Marriott Courtyard too expensive

I'd prefer a great 10mp sensor over a less new 12mp sensor anyday, though I don't know whats going into the camera so all im going to do is sit and wait and get saving!

CMOS is far better than a CCD, perhaps the 10 is better than a 12, but to my mind, this 10 is unlikely to be a self-starter at nearly 4 grand. More of a non-starter. PP2300 tops, unless there's something very seriously new in the specs, which we're not, as yet, seeing.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:22 pm

I have a few friends in the industry and the whisper is....get ready for the D300, coming soon!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:24 pm

I wish I could tell what I know.

But I can't.
Nnnnsic

Postby johndec on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:31 pm

gstark wrote:CMOS is far better than a CCD,

Gary, please excuse the stupid question by why is CMOS better than CCD. Is there a link that I can go to that explains the difference between the two technologies?
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby glamy on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:37 pm

All I know is that at fisrt glance as Gary said $2300.00 would have to be a maximum. I would not upgrade from 6 to 10 MP, I'd rather buy a used D70 or a new D50 as a second body.
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:47 pm

johndec wrote:
gstark wrote:CMOS is far better than a CCD,

Gary, please excuse the stupid question by why is CMOS better than CCD. Is there a link that I can go to that explains the difference between the two technologies?

The technologies are very different, but CMOS (generally) has a faster response and lower noise characteristics.

And depending upon the specific technologies in use, possibly finer image making charactersitics as well.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby spada on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi
It is said that it would be 10.2 MP, DX format ,CCD sensor, with 11 point multiCam system, link below.
CMOS advatage is low power consumption, less heat, years ago CMOS suffered noise and image quality, in that time CCD was king, but then technology advanced, and CMOS catch up.

http://www.photoshoot.in/d200.htm

Regards
Spada
spada

Postby Matt. K on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:08 pm

CMOS has lower power usage....integration of additional circuitry is possible and also has lower manufacturing cost. IE it is cheaper to produce. CCD is more mature technology and requires more sophisticated circuitry. Both types have their weaknesses and their strengths. Don't write the CCD off yet...Nikon hasn't....and there may be a suprise or two left in the old timer.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby johndec on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:08 pm

gstark wrote:
The technologies are very different, but CMOS (generally) has a faster response and lower noise characteristics.

And depending upon the specific technologies in use, possibly finer image making charactersitics as well.

Thanks for that Gary. If this is true (which I don't doubt), then why does the CMOS in the D2X seem to cop a bit of flack with regards to noise levels, especially at higher ISO's ?? Has Nikon poorly implemented this sensor in the D2X or is just unjustified whining?

Of course, as an aside, I've never noticed any noise issues with the CCD in the D70, nor do I recall it coming up as an issue on this forum. :D
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:17 pm

I'll be quite honest and say that I've not seen any general criticism of the D2x in relation to poor noise at high ISOs, except in comparison with the high end Canons. Canon employs different image processing algorithms which, as I understand it, sacrifice some degree of image sharpness for better noise reduction.

As a general observation, most of the time I see high noise in an image, it's due to, or more specifically located within regions that are under-exposed.

Correctly exposed images, even at high iso settings, rarely display noise, while under-exposed images, even at low iso settings, do.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

D170s at last.

Postby Digidegs on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:47 pm

You all have it wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

My aunt works at Nikon HQ and I have heard that it will NOT be a D200
BUT a D170s as the D220 is being designed by Agfa in Zimbabwe as we speak.

It will use the D1x body with a new badge etc...... and incorporate all the good features of the D100 and D70s. It is said to be a D2x killer.

Really.............
Digidegs

Postby johndec on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:18 pm

It's going to an interesting few weeks as the product is "officially" launched and all the specs released. Soon after that we will get the previews/reviews from dpreview, Thom Hogan, Ken "I saw one in a shop window once" Rockwell, et al :lol:

Like everyone else here I will avidly follow this little media circus and then hopefully make an informed purchasing decision. In reality, I'll probably just hand my tax return cheque to Birdy and say "Gimme one before the missus asks me how much it cost!! :lol: :lol:

I notice that some people here are lamenting the fact that it is not going to have the D2X sensor. Most of you will have noticed that there were 2 sets of specs rumours floating around.

1. Lobotomised 12.4mp @ 3fps and
2. 10.x CCD or CMos @ 5fps

Strangely enough I was hoping for option 2 and it looks like I've got my wish... I would gladly give up a couple of MP's for the better frame rate, but that's only because I like using my camera for fast action and sports,etc. Poor old Nikon couldn't make a camera at this price point that would be all things to all people, so 50% will love it and 50% will hate it :shock:

Of course, if it doesn't have a way better AF module and AF motor as well as a better viewfinder than a D70, that 50% of happy consumers will shrink rapidly. For me they are deal makers or breakers.

As I said, it should be an interesting few weeks....
johndec

Re: D170s at last.

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:20 pm

Digidegs wrote:You all have it wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

Just checking my calendar ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:26 pm

Johndec wrote:Ken "I saw one in a shop window once" Rockwell

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby kipper on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:43 am

I was going to start moaning at people cracking it about the sensors then I just realised that the EOS20D and the 1D MKII are both CMOS sensors. I thought maybe just maybe the 20D would of been CCD but it isn't.
So I'm going to have to agree with Gary and Leigh on this one and said that if Nikon really wanted to put the boot into Canon they should of made it a CMOS sensor for around the $3-3.5 mark. Preferably with a 12mp cmos aswell because if it has HSC that makes it a nice 6mp image. Having said all of that, I guess the proof will be in the pudding when they release the product and people start doing side by side comparisons.

Oh and here are some more items to the rumour mill taken from NSN on their post over the product announcement.

One guy rumoured these lenses to be announced:

24-105 F4 AFS ED VR
70-200 F4 AFS ED VR
400mm F2.8 AFS ED VR
16mm DX F1.4 AFS ED

Another has said he has spoken to a customer who saw this in Banff but it's not going to be released just yet:

Nikon 400-800VR
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby marcotrov on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:51 am

I agree Darryl but all the agreement from Nikon's consumers about what we'd like to see doesn't seem to matter to Nikon's marketing arm.

Kipper wrote:Another has said he has spoken to a customer who saw this in Banff but it's not going to be released just yet:

Nikon 400-800VR

That's going to be one hellava beast! Imagine the size with an F/4 aperture throughout. You'll need a trolley to carry it. :lol: Birddog will just have to get it to give the full longrange - 200-400Vr and 400-800VR now he just needs the HumV to carry them. :wink:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:55 am

kipper wrote:Nikon 400-800VR

Wouldn't surprise me.
If I were Nikon, I'd want an amazing lens like that to crack open the photo-journo / sports-journo market they way Canon have with a lot of their lenses.

But damn... I wouldn't want to imagine the size of that thing. You could attach a laser sight to it and no one would have a clue it was a lens, I'd bet.
Nnnnsic

Postby kipper on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:00 am

Well I'd very much doubt it'll be F4 across the entire range of the lens. It'll either be variable aperture and be either F2.8/F4 at 400 and say F5.6 at 800. However I expect it'll just be F5.6 across the entire end of the lens otherwise the glass on the front element will be huge.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby marcotrov on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:05 am

Yeah, Kipper I believe you are dead right but allow me some fanciful thoughts. :wink: It was humorous just thinking about some poor sucker lumping around something that big, for even F/5.6 throughout will still make it a BEAST. :twisted:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Spooky on Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:33 pm

I surprised Ken hasn't posted a review of the D200 yet. He would have based it on the rumours on DP review and other sites and other credilble sources I'm sure :lol: .
Spooky

Postby Heath Bennett on Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:41 pm

kipper wrote:16mm DX F1.4 AFS ED

This is what gets me... A nice fast DX wide prime.

I think as far as well priced wide angles for digital, only Pentax has it right. 14mm f/2.8 and 16-45mm f/4 (both DX equiv.). I haven't seen much reviews but they are perfect focal lengths.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby anubis on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:16 pm

Guys,

Could the 10.2 DX Sensor be made by Nikon not Sony? there are rumours floating around that Nikon are rapidly upskilling in Sensor Production given the moves by the Sony/Minolta(?) alliance into DSLR's.

Maybe a sensational 10.2 DX CCD Sensor given the maturity of the technology is a good first step to use as a base to test some radical advancements in Sensor design before incorporating these features into a new Full Frame or DX Sensor combined with the learnings from the D2X and D2H sensors?

Then again it probably makes more sense to build off a LBCAST JFET base for this unless........

Anyway can't wait for the announcement :)
Nikon D300, Nikkors 70-200 VR, 17-55, 50 1.4,18-200 VR etc
anubis

Postby Onyx on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:27 pm

CMOS vs CCD.

How they're similar.

How they're different.

From a grassroots technological point of view, CCD is superior. However Canon refused to conform with all the other DSLR manufacturers who buy sensors off a third party and started refining an inferior technology, got so good at it that it's at least on par with the superior tech; and gave themselves a marketable pseudonym to boot: the legend of "Digic" chips.

If this 10MP sensor is CCD, it would be very interesting to compare with D2X's 12MP CMOS in terms of image acuity. I would suspect this could be an of eye opener for some.
Onyx

PreviousNext

Return to Nikon