Infinity focus dilema

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Infinity focus dilema

Postby DANTPR11 on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone might be able to help with my problem.Everybody here seems to be using the D70, but I am on the other side of the fence and using the Canon EOS300D.
My problem is the lenses that i am currently using (EF-S18-55 & EF75-300 IS USM) both do not have an infinity focus setting. Being that i like to get out and do some lightning photography I find myself setting and resetting my focus points only to have to keep checking if I have been lucky enough to get my frame in focus. If there is anyone that has an idea of some way I am able to set my lens up without the infinity focus setting it would be greatly appreciated.
DANTPR11

Postby johndec on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:08 am

Hi and welcome to our little corner of the net :lol: I'm sorry that I can't help with you with your problem being a Nikon user, but I can offer you two possible suggestions...

1. Is it possible to disable autofocus and simple manually set your focus at maximum??

2. Get one of the friendly moderators to move this post to the Canon specific sub-forum we have here. It's more likely that one of the Canon users will notice it if it is there and will probably have useful advice.

Enjoy your stay :lol: :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:03 am

Indeed. This certainly isn't a "Tips & Tricks" issue, but I hope someone in the Canon Corral can help you out.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby huynhie on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:29 am

Greetings and welcome,

from the looks of it, there are no focus marking on the lenses.

The best thing that you can probably do is firstly set your desired aperture, preferble a smaller aperture like f8 or f11

Then set the camera to manual focus and turn the focus ring at the front of your lens either fully clockwise or fully anti clockwise (one direction will move your lens to infinity focus whilst the other will set it minimum focus).

To verify that you have the lens set to infinity use your depth of field preview and view through the lens, most objects should appear to be in focus.
Last edited by huynhie on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
huynhie

Postby huynhie on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:46 am

You can also want to read about hyperfocal distance

here

and

here
huynhie

Postby DANTPR11 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:41 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, I will have a look into each and see what the outcome is. My biggest problem to date is that where I set up for lightning photography, it is near completely dark so it is hard to judge if my frame is in focus or not. Hopefully soon I will figure out how to post images and will share a few of the shots that have worked out with you
DANTPR11

Postby johndec on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:28 pm

I think it is safe to say that if the lightning is close enough to be out of focus with distance set to maximum then you are WAAYYYY too close :lol: :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Big V on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:43 pm

DANTPR11, let me offer some help here as I feel your pain..Being a Canon user and having used the kit lens forover a year before upgrading it to the 17-85mm IS I know first hand what trouble you are having. I used to suffer this when trying to do the same thing as well as astronomy shots. The solution...rack the lens all the way out (MF) and then give it a nudge to the left. It is now in focus - not very elegant but believe me after a little practice you get very good at it. Do not despair you can get great results with the lens once you work with it and not against it...
Canon
Big V

Postby ozonejunkie on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:08 pm

Yere, there are a few of us Canon users lurking here. We are just all sitting here waiting to takeover when given 1/2 a chance. :P

The suggestion made above by Big V is the best. Get the lenses out during the day, and have a "play" with them. The other option would be to put a little mark with whiteout on it, so that it lines up at infinity. Not elegant, but practical. These days the lenses i use all have infinitiy markings, except for the 50/1.8. :D

Just my $0.02,
Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby DANTPR11 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks Big V and Tristan for those ideas, I will put them to good use next time the sky starts to flash.
johndec wrote:I think it is safe to say that if the lightning is close enough to be out of focus with distance set to maximum then you are WAAYYYY too close :lol: :lol:

I think you will see by this photo just how close I sometimes get to a few of the strikes, but there is nothing like being in the front row for one of the more spectacular light shows around.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c151/DANT ... ng%20Pics/
DANTPR11

Postby ozonejunkie on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Where was the shot taken? Good job all the same. :D

I also reccommend that you put your location in your profile, as one of the mods will most likely ask you to do it soon.

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby DANTPR11 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 pm

ozonejunkie wrote:Where was the shot taken? Good job all the same. :D

I live only a short drive away from what becomes farming/pastoral properties just north of Adelaide where as you can see it is quite clear and open to be able to see heaps of the sky, usually the first place I head to when I see the storm start rolling in :lol:
DANTPR11

Return to Canon Corral