Excellent summary for exposure and development

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Excellent summary for exposure and development

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: Excellent summary for exposure and development

Postby aim54x on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 am

That is a great link....Thanks Patrick
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

My preferred agitation method was...agitate for the first minute only and then for 10 seconds each minute thereafter. Place the tank down after the 10 sec shake. Why? Gives a lovely edge contrast enhancement where the developer working the highlights is exhausted faster than the developer working the shadow areas.( I think I got that the right way around. Have to think neg/pos). This can be extended by using the waterbath method, or, another way, letting the film sit in the tank after the developer has been dumped and the tank refilled with water. Just let it sit for 10 minutes and reap some enhanced acuity.
Can't believe I still remember this stuff! :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Matt. K wrote:My preferred agitation method was...agitate for the first minute only and then for 10 seconds each minute thereafter. Place the tank down after the 10 sec shake. Why? Gives a lovely edge contrast enhancement where the developer working the highlights is exhausted faster than the developer working the shadow areas.( I think I got that the right way around. Have to think neg/pos). This can be extended by using the waterbath method, or, another way, letting the film sit in the tank after the developer has been dumped and the tank refilled with water. Just let it sit for 10 minutes and reap some enhanced acuity.

I suspect that it is stuff we will never forget.....I used to use a similar method.....agitate for first minute then 5 sec every minute after.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Matt. K wrote:My preferred agitation method was...agitate for the first minute only and then for 10 seconds each minute thereafter. Place the tank down after the 10 sec shake. Why? Gives a lovely edge contrast enhancement where the developer working the highlights is exhausted faster than the developer working the shadow areas.( I think I got that the right way around. Have to think neg/pos). This can be extended by using the waterbath method, or, another way, letting the film sit in the tank after the developer has been dumped and the tank refilled with water. Just let it sit for 10 minutes and reap some enhanced acuity.

For roll film (in tanks), I do the above - 1 min + 10 seconds/minute. I often use water as a stop for 10-15 minutes (as previously recommended by Matt). For sheet film, I tray develop and rotate all the sheets over a minute period - bottom goes to top, timed so that the cycle starts again at a minute. I don't develop more than 8 sheets at a time and prefer not to develop more than 6. I often use just water and move the sheets through the same cycle as otherwise, the sheets stick to each other and I am not sure are full immersed in water to stop development.

Apart from the constat exposure to the chemicals, my main problem with this is that my fingers increase the temp of the different baths. Unfortunately, I am hot blooded, check it and see. I once had a fever of 103!
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging