what film

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

what film

Postby davidkelly on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:40 pm

what is the finest grain colour negative film available now in 100, 200 and 400 asa (ISO)? I have used Fuji press film, but it seems to have been discontinued. I'll upgrade to the Nikon D80 soon, but for a few months I still need film, if I can find any. I do mostly bush landscapes, with some wildflower closeups, and often have to work without tripod.
Dave Kelly.
davidkelly

Postby Yi-P on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:54 pm

I used to use Fuji Press as well, they were pretty good colour negatives. Didnt know that they're discontinued, still have a few rolls somewhere here.

The Fuji Superia Reala was really good as well for relative low price.

Then over to the Fuji NPS Professional, only used this once, but I liked it.

I've heard great stuff about Konica's films, but yet to try any myself. I havent seen them for sale long now...

If you are really wanting to shoot some film before moving digital, I really do say to get two or three rolls of Fuji Velvia 100F Pro. This is my favourite film, yet too expensive as per buying CF cards :lol:
Yi-P

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:13 pm

I have a few rolls of Fuji Pro 160C waiting for me at work. This is the spiel given when I bought it:

This is one of Fuji's Professional Colour Negative Portrait films with a speed of 160 ISO, balanced for daylight, enhanced saturation and high contrast (unlike the unenhanced, normal contrast PRO160S/ NPS160), a truly incredible ultra fine grain (RMS of: 3---less than half that of FUJI Velvia 100 or PROVIA 100F), "high sharpness for the achievement of realistic texture & depth" and " wide exposure latitude" (if you miscalculate the correct exposure by 2-3 f stops over OR under correct exposure the film will save you with excellent prints to be obtained from the resulting negatives). It also has "enhanced colour image stability" (meaning the negatives will last intact indefinitely with near archival keeping quality), "single channel suitability for uniform printing efficiency" and this film "is a NEW GENERATION EMULSION DESIGNED FOR OPTIMUM SCANNING QUALITY" (which speaks for itself when using digital scanners). Lastly it has Fuji's famous "fourth colour layer".

I am a complete novice when it comes to film (or digital), but reviews I read elsewhere before purchase suggest it is a reasonable film
Reschsmooth

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging