Mamiya purchase in Sydney

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Mamiya purchase in Sydney

Postby Silvershaft on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:38 pm

I've been playin with my mates Hasse for the last couple of days and have really enjoyed my photography again.

I was thinkin of purchasing a Mamiya or something with an 80 or 120mm lens. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding models, costs and suppliers. I work in North Sydney and quite often get into the city to take some photos. So if there are any stores in that vicinity that could help let me know. I sometimes go to CameraHouse on Kent St I think but haven't bothered remembering the pricing etc so I plan to have a look in there this week.

Online I am not fussed either. Had a look at that KEH.com site someone mentioned earlier. Just wondered how reputable they were? If someone could PM me there thoughts that would be appreciated
Silvershaft

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:57 pm

What format do you want to shoot in? That will dictate the model that you'll be looking at.

And please ... put your location - including suburb - into your profile. It's a requirement of being a member here, and your cooperation is appreciated.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby james m on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:08 pm

You could try European Cameras at Drummoyne.

Also I was in Whiltons on Elizabeth street last week and they had a Mayima 6 (6x6 format) range finder with 50mm and 150mm lenses and 35mm panoramic kit, maybe worth checking to see if it is still available and they had a few Hasselblads.

another option if you don't mind a fixed lens 6x6 camera is something like a an old Rolleiflex/cord TLR.
james m

Postby big pix on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:58 am

have a look at this and pm me..........

http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=14112
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Silvershaft on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:47 pm

Rightio picked myself up a 645 and a 55mm on the weekend for $160 which was a lot better than what they were asking in Camerahouse. Could be wrong however because the number of different 645s out there is downright confusing.

I am still looking for an 80mm 2.8mm however

Thanks Big Pix as well I will get back to you shortly after I investigate a little further the models and fittings
Silvershaft

Postby gstark on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:59 pm

Am I reading you correctly?

You picked up both a M645 and the 55mm for $160? For the two?

If soand noting that I prefer Bronica to Mamiya, damn, that's a bloody gooddeal, provided they're all in good working order.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Silvershaft on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:43 pm

Yeah thats correct

Sorry had to run a couple of films through it to confirm its going all ok. So far im impressed. :)

I don't know what is wrong with me though lol. I have bought at least four film cameras in the last month. Been processing them like crazy.

Meanwhile my D70 sits on my desk unloved. I think I will sling it on my shoulder when I go to work tomorrow and see what I can do to resolve that.

:)
Silvershaft

Postby jerrysk8 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 pm

if your starting a new system i'd recommend getting into the bronica sq system. its pretty much a japanese hassy. i had a hassy 500cm with an 80mm but i sold it cause i couldn't afford any new lenses for it. i now have an sqai with a lenses ranging from 35mm-150mm. there's no way i could of afford the same lenses with a hassy.

my friend got an sqa, 120 back, wlf, and 80mm in great condition for around $300 from keh. awesome deal.
jerrysk8

Postby Silvershaft on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:44 am

That does sound good. Im pretty happy with this for the meantime but will definetly look into the above system in the future.

Got to stop buying cameras for a wee while though. Its becoming a worry financially. :(
Silvershaft

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging