POTW 15.8.05

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

POTW 15.8.05

Postby Geoff on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:46 pm

Well there were quite a few to choose from this week, but I eventually chose Paulvdb1..Congratulations Paul, a unique shot..well deserved in my opinion! Here's what I said about it in the original thread, and here it is:

Paul - I really quite like this shot and think you've nailed it. Here's why I like it:

1)Look at it for more than a few seconds and the lines draw you to the mid back of the image...it captures you!

2)You have positioned yourself well to take the shot, it isn't too busy yet it incorporates a lot of different objects into it, i.e the nature element (trees, which dominate most of the shot) and the man made structures- bike rack, seats, cars, light poles, shops, shop lights etc)

3)The footpath lights appeal to me also, they help lead the shot into the distance with the help of the trees and also the different pavers... . I think it's a very different/unique shot!! My hat goes off to you sir...well done, and keep on posting!

Original post here: http://www.d70users.net/viewtopic.php?t=8283
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby stubbsy on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Congratulations Paul. Liked this when I first saw it.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby embi on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:49 pm

Well dont for POTW. This one slipped by me somehow....congrats
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're probably not close enough." Robert Capa.

D70 - Nikon 18-70 (Kit Lens), 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, SB-800, Manfrotto 190D tripod, 141RC head, and 676B monopod.
embi

Postby johndec on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:57 pm

embi wrote:Well dont for POTW.

Good grief... Controversy already :wink: :wink:

Seriously, great choice. Congratulations Paul.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Glen on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:03 pm

Congrats Paul & good choice Geoff
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:17 pm

Congrats Paul, as I said in the other thread, love this shot, Well done!
Alpha_7

Postby embi on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:22 pm

johndec wrote:
embi wrote:Well dont for POTW.

Good grief... Controversy already :wink: :wink:

Seriously, great choice. Congratulations Paul.

Geez as I posted I wondered who would start the fire only to now find I had the matches :oops:
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're probably not close enough." Robert Capa.

D70 - Nikon 18-70 (Kit Lens), 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, SB-800, Manfrotto 190D tripod, 141RC head, and 676B monopod.
embi

Postby nat on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:40 pm

Congrats Paul - a great capture!
Well chosen Geoff. Your choice should certainly put an end to last weeks controversy!
nat

Postby Greg B on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:44 pm

Great shot Paul, under difficult (ie very cold) circumstances. Handheld too.

Well done and congratulations - Geoff has nailed the reasons why this one is PotW material.

Good choice Geoff.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby waspo on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:48 pm

Yes, this is really nice and deserves POTW! Well done Paul!! :D
waspo

Location: Bentleigh East, Melbourne - SuPeR NikoN D7o aBuSeR!

Postby paulvdb1 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:06 pm

Thanks guys - I'm stoked, particularly given that I've only had the camera for something like 2 months. I'm even more impressed with the guys from Nikon giving us a great camera and kit lens that allows even mugs like me to take a shot and have it come out something like you see with your eyes!
paulvdb1

Postby samester on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:08 pm

congrats on potw - the lighting, colours and composition are all winners.

i didn't realise you could get such a decent shot at ISO 1600!

interesting place, the street (one way?) looks out of place cutting through one side of a mall or pedestian area ?
samester

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:30 pm

There are loads of pics posted each week and I miss almost every single one of them... and when Geoff pointed this one out in telling us his pic for the week, I was glad he'd directed me to it.

I like it.
I don't know why I like it, but I know I do.

Congratulations Paul. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Alex on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:32 pm

Paul,

I liked this image a lot. Nice colours, and fairly sharp.

Congratulations
Alex
Alex

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Congratulations + it was hand held too! The first time I saw this pic, I briefly glanced at it and didn't pay too much heed to it, but after reading Geoff's comments - it definitely suits the POTW :D

Well done again!
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:47 pm

Excellent :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby big pix on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:32 am

.........where are my matches, the bloody things are wet......ahhh a lighter, it wont work......opps....a very good pix......and I am impressed that it was hand held......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Sheetshooter on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:27 am

It's taken me a while to post because I am still finding stuff in this wonderful shot - for me it works on so many different levels. Most compellingly I find that there's a macabre eerieness about the pure suburbia and stillness of it and yet this line of lights in the pavement are like landing markers for aliens - who is to say how the stillness will be transformed once THEY arrive.

Then there are the pockets of hidden treasures dotted about within the scene. Little splashes of irrelevant colour. Pools on mochrome. Geometric puzzles. And then the effect of the season on the foliage.

From a technical viewpoint I believe that one of the unsung strengths of the kit lens is that at its widest it is not all that wide @ 27.72º - a bit like a 28mm on 36x24 - and so we can capture a full scene without the exagerated diminishing perspective of shorter focal lengths that can so often dominate a scene and make us feel the presence of the camera to a point where it becomes intrusive. It all works to such good effect here.

Congratulations and thank you for a fine picture.

P.S.: As a relative new arrival on this board I'd just like to tip in my 0.20¢ worth to applaud the great diversity of styles, techniques and subjects that are chosen for POTW. Never seems there are two weeks the same and that must be an accolade for both the contributions of photographs and the catholic attitudes of the selectors. Well done all.

Cheers,

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:32 am

Great job Paul. I agree that the lines in this image draw you into the picture. Very nicely composed and well taken.

Congratulations on your POTW !

And perhaps this can remind us all that we should not be scared to bump up the ISO, when required, if capturing a great shot like this will be the outcome :)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby HappyFotographer on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:49 am

Well done Paul, it is fabulous.

Image Image

Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:33 am

Paul,

Great image, and well captured, with a wonderful contrast range. You have used your tools well.

Geoff: great choice; thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby moggy on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:56 am

Well done Paul, as Geoff said, you're eyes just keep getting pulled to the back of the photo by the lines! Truly a great shot.

:) Bob
moggy

Postby paulvdb1 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:07 pm

Thanks again all. I'm particularly surprised by some of the comments as they're certainly way more than I expected.

I'm also happy that there's been no intential flaming as well :-)

Whilst I personally think there were better shots through the week I'm happy to be picked - it's also made me look more at the shot to make sure I see what everyone else sees :-)

At the end of the day when you catch a shot that's not deliberately set-up you're simply capturing on film or CF card what you personally see. Something catches your eye, and you say "that looks interesting!" and you try and capture what you see.

What I need to work on is the pics in which someone sees something extra in a scene and captures an image that's not specifically what was physically there.
paulvdb1

Postby Sheetshooter on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:18 pm

Paul,

If I may offer two comments from past masters that might help you on your way:

Garry Winogrand said:

I photograph things to see what they look like photographed

and

Minor White said words to the effect:

Do not photograph something for what it is, but for WHAT ELSE it is.

Added to this is the fact that, as author, you only have control of your image up to the point at which you present it for view. From that point on it is not what you intended it to be, but what the viewer perceives it to be that becomes the reality - and, of course, that perceived reality will vary from viewer to viewer.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby Greg B on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:31 pm

paulvdb1 wrote:Thanks again all. I'm particularly surprised by some of the comments as they're certainly way more than I expected.

I'm also happy that there's been no intential flaming as well :-)

Me too, I think we have had enough of that.

paulvdb1 wrote: Whilst I personally think there were better shots through the week I'm happy to be picked - it's also made me look more at the shot to make sure I see what everyone else sees :-)

The important thing is that your shot caught the eye of the PotW selector for the week. I don't, and I am sure the other PotW selectors don't, look at every image with a view to selecting the "best". Couldn't do it anyway.

It is all about that shot that catches your attention for any reason. And one of the joys is that an image, which have may only received cursory attention among the many that are on the forum, gets selected, with usually some comments as to why it was selected (And as a viewer, I like that part), and some extra examination and comments by the members.

The PotW is a great concept (another Stark innovation)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:49 pm

Greg, Paul, and everyone else ...

Greg B wrote:The important thing is that your shot caught the eye of the PotW selector for the week. I don't, and I am sure the other PotW selectors don't, look at every image with a view to selecting the "best". Couldn't do it anyway.

Exactly. I know I'm certainly not qualified to pick "the best".

And again, how does one satisfy that description? What I might consider to be "the best" probably doesn't match up with your concept of "the best", which is why our PotW isn't based upon that sort of criteria.

It is all about that shot that catches your attention for any reason.

Yep. That's how the description has been framed, and that's exactly what I expect from the mods. And that's why I will never second guess their choices.

But I will commend everyone to look at the PotW section, and review the first message in the Sticky thread. Given the misapprehensions that some people have had in the past, I felt it was probably a timely idea to update that message and hopefully clarify things a little.

Thanx for the kudos. I feel truly humbled.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:22 pm

gstark wrote:<snip>

Thanx for the kudos. I feel truly humbled.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby mic on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:56 pm

Congrats !

Well done.

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby johnd on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:47 pm

Bloody good choice. Congrats Paul.
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby Neeper on Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:16 am

very nice!
Johnny
D200, D70, 18-70mm, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 24-120mm VR, 12-24mm Tokina, 70-300mm Tamron, Lens Baby 2.0, Peleng Fisheye 8mm, SB800, Alien Bees Studio Setup: 1 B400, 2 B800, 1 B1600, Sekonic L-358
http://www.jtimagesonline.com
Neeper

Return to Picture of the Week