Picture of the Week 26 July 2005

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby leek on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:14 am

Just a thought... maybe we should save the 100th post on this thread for Gary to react...

Doh!! I should have said that on my previous post...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby phillipb on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:34 am

Not to flog a dead horse, but I had a look at the thread which Glen mentioned earlier http://www.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=6721
Out of 27 posts about half of them were purely complimentary (well deserved by the way) without any constructive critisism whatsoever. Jethro gracefully acceped the "CRAP" and thanked everyone. What has changed since then?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby MCWB on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:45 am

Personally I find it much nicer if someone posts a short "I love this image, well done" rather than just ignores the thread completely if they have no constructive criticism to give. Otherwise I'd wager there would be many one-post threads in the images forum. But no arse-licking ;) (where's Mark Latham when you need him :lol: ).
MCWB

Postby Matt. K on Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:59 am

Leek
Forgotten what? :oops: :oops:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:05 am

MCWB wrote:(where's Mark Latham when you need him :lol: ).

He's easing the squeeze... somewhere...
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:00 am

marcus wrote:Glen, I was implying that maybe the words that followed "on a personal note" should be sent in a PM, nothing more.

Greg, I'm not quite sure how my post to Glen in relation to a PM rather than the flaming that's going on here pricked your ears? I know through reading this thread that you have felt somewhat personally attacked for your choice but I did not attack you. I think there are alot of hot headed posts happening here that would be better left to PM's.

I believe there are people here totally losing it who should be staying cool.
There are people here who have thrown their beliefs and morals they have preached on this site out the window because of ruffled feathers.

A couple of comments here.

First of all, I see no flaming occurring. The discussion is certainly vigorous, and unfortunately, the thread has been hijacked because most of us are trying to understand Jethro's point of view.

There are certainly those who feel that they don't understand the image; that's fine; most have expressed that viewpooint in a lucid and non-offensive manner. That's as it should be.

Unfortunately, Jethro hasn't quite managed to do that. Instead, he seems to be trying to criticise ... something - perhaps the image, perhaps the process, perhaps those who choose the PotW - but in all of the posts he has made thus far, I think it's fair to say that none of this hs been made clear by him.

Further; he's gone on to retort that if we don't understand a cryptic post, that's our bad luck. Or words to that effect.

Well, I'm sorry, but no, it's not our bad luck. While these forums are about photography, there's also an underlying basis that Jethro appears to have either ignored or forgotten about - it's about communication.

And if Jethro is unable to communicate his message to others in a clear and concise manner, then all that happens is that others will discard the content of his message and move on, while his points will remain ignored, not understood, and left by the wayside.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:05 am

jethro wrote:thanks leek ill take that as constructive critisism!

But obviously, it would appear that you'll be paying it no heed.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:09 am

Nnnnsic wrote:
MCWB wrote:(where's Mark Latham when you need him :lol: ).

He's easing the squeeze... somewhere...

Probably in the interests of relieving some of the crap ... :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:54 am

I've read and read and avoided posting on this, but the time has come for comment.

Jethro

I'm sure there are times when different people annoy each other and the best approach is to be clear about it so action can be taken. I recall I recently took issue with some comments made by your friend Marcus to which Marcus's response was, to paraphrase, "get a grip, stubbsy". We were both crystal clear about each other's viewpoint (I think) and moved on. I think that's healthy discussion. The real problem I'm having here is I can see there is something going on that you think is a bad thing for the forum and you want to see it changed. Trouble is your viewpoint isn't coming across clearly.

What is it you want to see changed? What should stop happening? What should start happening? In order to effect change one step is to articulate the problem and another is to identify an implementation process. For me, both of these steps (from your perspective) are unclear.

I'd genuinely like to understand your viewpoint (no guarantees I'll share it :wink: ), but to do so you need to state things more simply (crayon drawings even :lol: )

Cheers
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby informer on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:45 pm

In the name of art, I'd say that is an artsy picture.

But personally, I don't understand it at all (could never understand art in the first place). It looks like an out of focus b/w picture taken by accident while looking for the off button :lol:

Perhaps it would have more meaning if there was a series of pictures to support this one.

Oh well, art is mysterious and so are the artists! :wink:
Check out my latest - http://englishnewbies.tripod.com/blog
--------------------------------------------------
Team D50 - Honcho leader [ Japan ]
--------------------------------------------------
"Don't bother with PotW" - John Howard
informer

Postby redline on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:05 pm

did i miss something here?
man i better start reading these threads
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:52 pm

informer wrote:Perhaps it would have more meaning if there was a series of pictures to support this one.

There is.

Please refer to the link in the first post in this thread.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:19 pm

redline wrote:did i miss something here?

Yes
redline wrote:man i better start reading these threads

That's what they're for :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby kipper on Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:34 pm

It was good to finally see some of one of our senior members work. I really liked this one out of the set. Top work.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Previous

Return to Picture of the Week