AW fast approaching.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

AW fast approaching.

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:09 pm

Please watch this thread for the latest and greatest regarding this weekend's activities.

Venue details - times and addresses - have now been added to this thread. Please go to page 3 (of this thread) for this vital information.

Please note that all bookings, changes, etc are now closed. we are now giving committed numbers to the venues, and we will be expecting you to pay your share if you're on this list.

Could all attendees please download this document which contains full details of what will be happening over the weekend.

Any questions, please ask within this thread.

Mudder

Where are you staying? Formule 1 ?

Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge Participants

An important disclaimer

All who are coming should know that they'll be attending the weekend's events at their own risk, and we're doing this as a bunch of friends hanging out together.

Just to clarify a couple of points, there is no entity called D70Users.com, D70Users.net, or DSLRUsers.com. They are simply domain names in the WWW, and there is no actual physical or legal entity that exists or is represented by those names.

If anyone who is coming has an issue or any questions about this, please let one of the mods know ASAP so that we can fully appraise you of the situation.

Thanx, y'all.
Last edited by gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Can anyone tell me what I put myself down for?
So far here's my schedule as I know it..

Friday:
7:30 arrive, picked up by Birddy
12:00ish Check in at Formule1
1:00ish Lunch with friend in city
Later: Dinner

Saturday:
Too Early; Wake up so Nicole and possibly kipper have somewhere to store their bags before they can check in.
Later: I have no idea.
Even Later: During dinner be awarded a D70s for my as yet uncommented-on winning image in Comp5

Sunday:
Wake up with D70s in bed beside me..
Later: Zoo with Nicole and probably Mudder and probably Kipper and whomever else can be dragged in I'm guessing..
9:15pm; Fly back to melbourne.
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:21 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Can anyone tell me what I put myself down for?

Not a damn thing. :)

Apart from meals, of course.

Sounds to me as if your stated schedule is spot on! Except for winning the D70s though, most likely. :)

In all seriousness, I recieved a PM from you in early June, after I posted the first list, where you told me that you should be on the list for both nights. That's it!

Please let me know what you're wanting to do - by email to the correct address - and we'll take it from there.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nicole on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Gary, yes we're on same Virgin Blue flight. I think I'll bring my headphones. :wink:

Also, as Dean has made mention, a few of us zoo nuts are planning to go to Taronga Zoo on Sunday morning. If anyone else is interested you're welcome to join us. :)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:54 pm

Ummh oops, was I suppose to put myself down for activities?
I guess I missed that bit!

So what do I do now?

Nicole, I'm in for the Zoo but you probably already know that :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:26 pm

email sent. :(
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:36 pm

kipper wrote:Ummh oops, was I suppose to put myself down for activities?
I guess I missed that bit!

So what do I do now?

Send me an email - at the correct address for this - telling me what you want to do, noting that the minimeet is booked, and Centenial Park cancelled due to lack of interest.

it might make things very easy if you do the Lavender bay activity; we can collect both of you at the hairyport and drop you in town together, relocating your luggage (afterwards) to Birdy's.

Nicole, I'm in for the Zoo but you probably already know that :)

But will they let you out?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:44 pm

I dunno, I guess I missed all the activities thread and I can't find it again.

Plus which email is that.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:46 pm

kipper/Darryl,

kipper wrote:I dunno, I guess I missed all the activities thread and I can't find it again.

Plus which email is that.

Try this thread:

http://www.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=6838
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:49 pm

I'm sure you could fit one more into the minimeet. It's not like the entire New Zealand Rugby team is accompanying me or anything.

Oh and that kind of sucks, because I read the first section of the post and all the activities when it was originally posted but didn't read the bit at the bottom about reserving places :(.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:53 pm

kipper wrote:I'm sure you could fit one more into the minimeet. It's not like the entire New Zealand Rugby team is accompanying me or anything.

Oh and that kind of sucks, because I read the first section of the post and all the activities when it was originally posted but didn't read the bit at the bottom about reserving places :(.

That is Birdy's call. We have about 14 down, plus a host of others who will be there during the afternoon. My guess is well over 25, which is starting to get cosy, no matter which way you cut the cloth.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:54 pm

K, I'll talk to Birddog.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:54 pm

kipper wrote:I'm sure you could fit one more into the minimeet. It's not like the entire New Zealand Rugby team is accompanying me or anything.

kipper,
Apart from 15 registered + 10 members within the organizer, and we have to provide some other services as snack, foods & drinks + very short hour to the main dinner on Saturday so I don't think I can take more in.
Last edited by birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:58 pm

Fair enough.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:21 pm

There's no such entity as D70users.com? I'll sue you guys for not having an entity to sue!

Anyways, Gary - have you guys secured a model for sunday's portrait shoot? If she's not a looker, I'm keen to join the mexicans for Taronga Zoo - if that's alright with Dean, Nicole, Darryl, et al.
Onyx

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:27 pm

Yep that's fine Oynx.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:28 pm

There isn't just Mexicans, there's a Cuban coming as well - Fozzie.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:36 pm

kipper,

kipper wrote:There isn't just Mexicans, there's a Cuban coming as well - Fozzie.

I think we now have enough for a posse :lol:
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:40 pm

Kipper, there is always room for one more on the Bridgewalk :wink:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Nicole on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Fozzie, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my end the the deal now and keep you guys in check! :D
Last edited by Nicole on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Which one is that. I'm a bit out of what is going on, I've spent too many weekends now chasing bloody Wedge Tail Eagles.
5am->7pm every weekend for the past few weeks :(

Was lucky to get around to booking a flight.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:44 pm

Kipper, Lavender Bay to Bridge on Saturday morning, 9am - 1pm
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:47 pm

Nicole,

Nicole wrote:Fozzie, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my end the the deal now and keep you guys in check! :D

Why would you want to keep us in check, it is part time, where away from home :lol: :lol: :lol:
If anybody question you, just say you met us on the way over on the Ferry to Taronga Zoo :wink:
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Nicole on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:53 pm

just say you met us on the way over on the Ferry to Taronga Zoo

:lol: Now that's an idea.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:44 pm

Everyone remember to use the anniversary address or Uncle Stark might get grumpy...

I found out the wrong way...
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
PlatinumWeaver

Postby stubbsy on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:56 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Everyone remember to use the anniversary address or Uncle Stark might get grumpy...

Dean I beg to differ. Uncle Stark will not get grumpy - he IS grumpy all the time (except just before he goes to bed, when he's Sleepy, and after he's in bed when he's Happy and... :wink: :lol: :lol: )
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:09 pm

stubbsy wrote:Dean I beg to differ. Uncle Stark will not get grumpy - he IS grumpy all the time (except just before he goes to bed, when he's Sleepy, and after he's in bed when he's Happy and... :wink: :lol: :lol: )

As long as you say it and not me.. :)
Otherwise I might not make it over the bridge during the walk...
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
PlatinumWeaver

Postby gleff on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:50 am

If it's not too late, I'd like to join a few of you guys at Taronga zoo on sunday.. should be pretty good going with someone for a change.

I'll be driving though as I live on the north side. Let me know the details of when/where we're meeting.

Should be a lot of fun.

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:40 am

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Everyone remember to use the anniversary address or Uncle Stark might get grumpy...

Actually, Leigh is Grumpy.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:38 am

Onyx wrote:There's no such entity as D70users.com? I'll sue you guys for not having an entity to sue!

Anyways, Gary - have you guys secured a model for sunday's portrait shoot? If she's not a looker, I'm keen to join the mexicans for Taronga Zoo - if that's alright with Dean, Nicole, Darryl, et al.

Not as yet. Sycamore 1 was trying to do this, but at the worst, we can use a few of the participants.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:09 am

Yes, we have some maniquins :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:42 am

I'm trying to find out what is exact time for Saturday afternoon mini-meet. "Afternoon" is bit unclear for me. OK, let me put it this way - at what time gates are opened and at what time late visitors bounced? :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:32 am

Mikhail, not sure as this is from memory but approximately 1.30 - 2 till 4pm
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:58 am

Hlop wrote:I'm trying to find out what is exact time for Saturday afternoon mini-meet. "Afternoon" is bit unclear for me. OK, let me put it this way - at what time gates are opened and at what time late visitors bounced? :)

See the front page.

Read the news item.

Download the document from the link.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Hlop on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:16 pm

gstark wrote:
See the front page.

Read the news item.

Download the document from the link.

Edit: Found it. Thanks
Edit 2: Could the link be in bold font to make it bit more visible?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:28 pm

Hlop wrote:Edit 2: Could the link be in bold font to make it bit more visible?

I can do that. Thanx for suggesting this.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gleff on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:21 pm

Gary, you mention to bring an envelope to the dinners with the amount for the dinner and hand it to the receptionists.. Who's the receptionists, and are they aware that some people like myself have already handed both money's for both dinners to birddog?.. Eg. is there a register that says who's already paid?

Thanks
Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:28 pm

gleff wrote:Gary, you mention to bring an envelope to the dinners with the amount for the dinner and hand it to the receptionists.. Who's the receptionists, and are they aware that some people like myself have already handed both money's for both dinners to birddog?.. Eg. is there a register that says who's already paid?

Birddog will be well aware of who has, and who hasn't paid.

The receptionists are mentioned, I think, in the note you've downloaded, but in case I'm wrong, they're the wonderful Mrs Matt K and the charming Mrs Birddog.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:31 pm

Geoff, neither of the receptionists are members but you will recognise them because they will have a small table where they will be asking for money, and a spreadsheet to mark paid on. At this point it looks like Philo & Tran who have done a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes. Feel free to bring them a small present each. :wink:
Thank You
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:32 pm

gleff wrote:Gary, you mention to bring an envelope to the dinners with the amount for the dinner and hand it to the receptionists.. Who's the receptionists, and are they aware that some people like myself have already handed both money's for both dinners to birddog?.. Eg. is there a register that says who's already paid?

Thanks
Geoff

Geoff,
So simple, just make another payment if asked by them and it's reserved for next year events same time in August. :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby fozzie on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:46 pm

Geoff,

gleff wrote:If it's not too late, I'd like to join a few of you guys at Taronga zoo on sunday.. should be pretty good going with someone for a change.

I'll be driving though as I live on the north side. Let me know the details of when/where we're meeting.

Should be a lot of fun.

Geoff

My understanding is that we will be looking to be on the first ferry out of Circular Quay at 8:45am on Sunday:

http://www.sydneyferries.info/timetables/tarongazoo.php

Where and when perhaps can be discussed at Saturday night dinner function :idea:
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:49 pm

fozzie wrote:Where and when perhaps can be discussed at Saturday night dinner function :idea:

And you expect to be able to remember that for the following morning ???

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Venues and addresses

Most of this has been published before, but here it all is, in the one place.

Friday Night Dinner:

7:00 pm

Sunny Seafood Restaurant
320 Forest Road
Hurstville NSW 2220

Saturday events at Birddog's

Photoshop Workshop. 10am
Sensor Cleaning.

Minimeet. 1:30pm

218 Burwood Road
Belmore.

With sincere thanks to Birddog and his family for the generous use of their facilities.

Saturday Night Dinner

6:30 pm

Mancini's,
21 Burwood Rd,
Belfield

Sunday Morning Portrait Shoot and Lighting Workshop.

9:30 start, at the offices of GBC

Unit 1/Block Q
Princes Rd East
Regents Park

With sincere thanks to GBC and member smac for the generous use of their facilities.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:27 pm

Parking spots:

Friday Night Dinner:
7:00 pm

Sunny Seafood Restaurant
320 Forest Road (One Way Street)
Hurstville NSW 2220

Parking spots:
1/ Corner Dora St & Queens Rd(Heritage Seafood Restaurants/ Council Car park)
2/ Westfield shopping carpark on Cross street
3/ Along Crofts Ave and Barrat St.

Saturday Night Dinner
6:30 pm

Mancini's,
21 Burwood Rd, (CNR Burwood Road & Downes St) Huge parking lots on Downes St.
Belfield
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby rokkstar on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:31 pm

I've worked out where Mancinis is now and looks like I can get a short cab ride from the station.
What does the money include then on the Saturday night dinner?
Matt
rokkstar

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:46 pm

rokkstar wrote:I've worked out where Mancinis is now and looks like I can get a short cab ride from the station.

10 or 15 minutes walk from the station, why do you need a cab for?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby rokkstar on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:47 pm

Well thats not too bad is it. Ok, I'm happy to walk - I'll have to give Sam a piggy back :lol:
Matt
rokkstar

Postby wendellt on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:53 pm

Hi
this is great, can't wait to meet the rest of the bunch
I will be at the saturday night dinner around 7:00 to 7:30pm I am coming from Paddington.
Will that timeframe be an issue, will the doors close, miss any speeches?
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:57 pm

wendellt wrote:Hi
this is great, can't wait to meet the rest of the bunch
I will be at the saturday night dinner around 7:00 to 7:30pm I am coming from Paddington.
Will that timeframe be an issue, will the doors close, miss any speeches?

7:30pm will be finished, all will be gone by that time :lol: :lol:

Technically, you told me you be here last week at the mini meets, few guys were waiting for you, and want to talk to you about the 80-400VR.
But bad luck! you didn't come, so sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Re: AW fast approaching.

Postby mudder on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:09 pm

gstark wrote:Mudder
Where are you staying? Formule 1 ?

G'day,
Yep... Formula 1 Enfield...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Next