AW fast approaching.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby wendellt on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:28 pm

Birddog114 wrote:7:30pm will be finished, all will be gone by that time :lol: :lol:

Technically, you told me you be here last week at the mini meets, few guys were waiting for you, and want to talk to you about the 80-400VR.
But bad luck! you didn't come, so sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My apologies, i am now viewed as terribly inconsistent, I had my hands tied, the gallery needed me more, i should quit that saturday job, it's a PAIN!

Lets start from a clean slate, my name is Wendell, I am new and I will try my best to get there by 6:30pm with a minute to spare!
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:33 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
rokkstar wrote:I've worked out where Mancinis is now and looks like I can get a short cab ride from the station.

10 or 15 minutes walk from the station, why do you need a cab for?

The walk from the station isn't the problem.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

IMPORTANT - Heritage Fleet participants

Postby sheepie on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:34 pm

Hi - this is an IMPORTANT message to all Heritage Fleet participants (Saturday AM)...

Please PM me with your Mobile number or other contact details, so I can let you know what's happening. I wasn't able to catch up with my contact today, and am mindful of (especially) interstaters maybe not getting messages later.
Aim is to start sometime approx 9am at the wharf - details of which will be available soon (I promise!). You would need enclosed clothing (eg: jeans or similar, proper footware, etc.). A map will be posted advising full location details tomorrow!
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Re: AW fast approaching.

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:35 pm

mudder wrote:
gstark wrote:Mudder
Where are you staying? Formule 1 ?

G'day,
Yep... Formula 1 Enfield...

Many thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:51 pm

Ok accomodation booked up for Formula 1 Gosford.

This is fairly close to the restaurant isn't it?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:52 pm

kipper wrote:Ok accomodation booked up for Formula 1 Gosford.

Are you joking? 1/1.2 hrs to and from Sydney, it's Central Coast of NSW
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:55 pm

Kipper,
Or perhaps you want to stay there for bird shooting?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:07 pm

Birddy, they also have one in Dubbo, much closer to the zoo. Western Plains Zoo that is. Kipper you are teasing us aren't you? Most others booked Enfield as was discussed.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:11 pm

Probably the guy who's going to sell him the 500 lives up there and wants him to tag along for a test drive.
Good choice kipper! A taxi fare to and from the restaurant might share a portion of the lens :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:12 pm

Nah it's all booked for Enfield. Just phoned up then.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:14 pm

kipper wrote:Ok accomodation booked up for Formula 1 Gosford.

I hope you're kidding. For your sake, I hope you're kidding.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Onyx on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:27 pm

fozzie wrote:My understanding is that we will be looking to be on the first ferry out of Circular Quay at 8:45am on Sunday:

Far cough, 8:45 ferry!?! Would it be possible to perhaps take the one departing after that? Circular quay/opera house area is kinda photogenic too - interstaters might wanna spend some time around there.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:30 pm

Can people get up early on Sunday morning after a big night?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby johndec on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:30 pm

Are there going to be nametags for those attending the Saturday night dinner? I can't make Friday night (daughters 16th birthday dinner) and am working Saturday, so therefore miss out on the stated "nametag collection" events.

I don't really have an issue with this as I can randomly look at my drivers licence to remind myself who I am, plus I've met most of the Sydney members and hopefully will get a reasonable strike rate regarding their names.. :D but it would be nice to have a nametag on all those I haven't met (not to mention partners).

If you are doing nametags for Saturday night, Mrs Johndec is also known more commonly as Joanne. :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:32 pm

Name tags will be reserved for you on Saturday night.
For Joanne, pls PM Gary and request a name tag with her name on it.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby fozzie on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Onyx,

Onyx wrote:
fozzie wrote:My understanding is that we will be looking to be on the first ferry out of Circular Quay at 8:45am on Sunday:

Far cough, 8:45 ferry!?! Would it be possible to perhaps take the one departing after that? Circular quay/opera house area is kinda photogenic too - interstaters might wanna spend some time around there.

Late start would not be a problem for me as I am staying in Sydney until late pm Wednedsay. But other people from interstate may need to start that early to maximise trip to Taronga Zoo before leaving for home.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby johndec on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:03 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Name tags will be reserved for you on Saturday night.
For Joanne, pls PM Gary and request a name tag with her name on it.

It's OK Birdy, I should have checked my email earlier as Philo had sent me an email earlier today asking my partners name as she is doing up the nametags. I've only just checked my email and replied to her, hopefully it's not too late :?
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:11 pm

Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge Participants

To all coming on this walk, we will meet outside the entrance to Luna Park at 9 am with the walk taking till 1pm, allowing time for participants to get to the afternoon minimeet at Birddys.

The intended route is a little shooting in and around Luna Park and the adjacent boardwalk (the John Howard walk), depending on time and fitness possibly popping the 500metres to Lavender Bay, then up to the Bridge proper to walk to the pylon. The pylon opens at 10am, and instead of the $160 - $295 per person charged for a Bridgeclimb, where they make you wear funny overalls and they take your shot (your own camera isn't allowed), you are all on the internal pylon walk which has a lot of interesting info on construction, etc and allows you to take your own camera (yipee!!!) and wear your own clothes. Total cost including the special D70 users discount is $8.50. Yes $8.50, you can all thank me personally for the discount later. We will then descend and proceed to the Rocks area of Sydney and depending on time see what we can fit in. I would suggest a bottle of water would be a good idea, weather is predicted as fine and up to 19 degrees.

For interstate visitors I would suggest you leave Enfield Formula 1 about 8am. It takes about 45 minutes to get from there to Luna Park. If you have not eaten, get the maxi cab to stop at Milsons Point Station, where there are a number of places to get a bacon and egg sandwhich or similar, then walk down. If you are after something healthier, I suggest bringing it and eating at the hotel, which I don't beleive has food facilities. Correction, as below have food at reasonable prices, I am sure better than Milsons Point station. For Nicole and Kipper who are arriving Saturday morning, you can come straight from the airport to Luna Park (about a half hour taxi ride ($30), or 45 min train ride ($10 ea) suggest eating at the airport). Luna Park food doesn't open till 10am. I can store some bags in my small 2 door car, but not three big bags. You may be able to arrange a better solution. My car will be 600 metres from the entrance, or more. For those coming from Sydney I suggest a train to Milsons Point Station or if by coming by car, parking in Lavender Cr in Watts Park at the very southern end of Walker Street, off Lavender Street. When you park, walk to the Harbour, look to your left, observe big bridge and Luna Park, then walk around boardwalk till you get there.

The address for Luna Park is 1 Olympic Drive, Milsons Point. It is at the bottom of Alfred Street South. It is all meter parking nearby, which is why I suggest parking at Lavender Bay. Luna Park is at the bottom of the north western pylon to the bridge, any taxi driver knows where it is.

What to look for: Image

This map shows an X where we meet:

I have listed as attendees; Mudder, Spooky, Happy Fotographer, Digitor (2), Nicole, Spada, Platinum Weaver, Stubbsy and Kipper. No problem if you are not listed, just PM me or call on 0419 88 88 18, there is no limit for this walk. Also call or PM if there are any questions.
Last edited by Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:19 am

I vote for a later ferry...

Maybe the people who have leave early on sunday afternoon can catch the ferry at that silly hour and the people who like to sleep in and sober up can catch a later ferry and then meet up with the earlybirds somewhere within the zoo..

How does that sound?
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby gleff on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:32 am

PlatinumWeaver wrote:I vote for a later ferry...

Maybe the people who have leave early on sunday afternoon can catch the ferry at that silly hour and the people who like to sleep in and sober up can catch a later ferry and then meet up with the earlybirds somewhere within the zoo..

How does that sound?

I vote for early :wink:

I can get good off street parking if i'm there early.

I'll only be able to stay a few hours I think though anyway.

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:58 am

The Formule 1 serves breakfast at the counter as cererals, toast, etc... but not fancy stuff as champagne bacon, eggs, sausages.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nicole on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:21 am

I prefer an early start. I know when I went to Taronga this time last year it was starting to get busy by 10am. Not sure if it's like that all the time. Plus the light is better earlier.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby fozzie on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:22 am

Birddog,

Birddog114 wrote:The Formule 1 serves breakfast at the counter as cererals, toast, etc... but not fancy stuff as champagne bacon, eggs, sausages.

While there at Easter 2005, cost for breakfast was $6 - excellent value :D
It is in a common area with self serve to: juices, cereals, toast, vegemite, peanut paste, variety of jams, marmalade, tea and coffee.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:25 am

To get you guy from the Formule 1 motel to the Circular Quay, taxi will cost around $60.00/ 1 way and depend on traffic, Sunday morning is not bad, you can prebook a maxivan taxi and it can ferry about 9 people.
Birddog114
birddog114

Not for Minimeet attendees (sat arvo)

Postby sheepie on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:34 am

I posted this elsewhere, but at the risk of being slapped for cross posting (as opposed to cross dressing)....

...And if you're sticking around for the afternoon mini-meet (why wouldn't you?) then you could end up with a matte to go around your freshly popped and printed image!

I'll be bringing the Matte cutter - so if you want to cut a matte, make sure you get along to a craft store like Riot Craft (in many Westfields - don't take your camera in the shopping centre tho :wink: ). I'll bring along a few boards which you'll be able to buy off me at cost, but it's best if you pick your own colours - I can't possibly bring along every colour available!
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Greg B on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:34 am

How does that sound?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby big pix on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 am

..... have a great meet in Sydney and I wish I could have been there. I will be looking foward to seeing lots of pix's from members who attend....

best wishes to all.....
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

HERITAGE FLEET DETAILS!

Postby sheepie on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:20 pm

All participants in the Heritage Fleet Workshop visit please check the details on the following thread:
http://www.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?p=95032#95032
sheepie
Key Member

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:44 pm

Greg B wrote:

How does that sound?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know.. I knew I would have at least one supporter ;)
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Bruno on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:12 pm

hi,
if anyone from around Chatswood wants to carpool for the sat night dinner pm me!

cheers guys
Bruno

Postby gleff on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:13 am

Bruno wrote:hi,
if anyone from around Chatswood wants to carpool for the sat night dinner pm me!

cheers guys

PM'd..

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby Onyx on Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:57 pm

Ok, what's the latest on weather tomorrow? I need someone to blame if I load the wrong curve in my camera for the expected conditions.
Onyx

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:00 pm

There will be weather tomorrow.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:01 pm

gstark wrote:There will be weather tomorrow.

Is this promise covered by the disclaimer?
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:08 pm

sheepie wrote:
gstark wrote:There will be weather tomorrow.

Is this promise covered by the disclaimer?

"Weather is subject to changes."
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby leek on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:16 pm

The lucky B(*&($s at the Friday night dinner are probably working their way thru the 4th course of their chinese meal at the moment...
I should have been there, but had a heavy head cold and decided to save my energy for tomorrow's festivities...
Bon Appetit Guys - I hope you had fun...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby kipper on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:22 pm

I would of liked to have gone up this morning, probably could of really seeing as I took a few hours off today.

I could of probably made a midday flight....hmm. Oh yeah, that's right. It's my Mum's Birthday. Knew there was some reason I couldn't leave today.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby leek on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:26 pm

Never mind... looking forward to meeting you 2morrow kipper...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby kipper on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:58 pm

Me too, see ya then!

I'm about to head off to bed soon. Early start tomorrow, have to be up at like 3.50/4.00am. Dropping my car off at a parking place for 3 days so I have to get there at 5am :(.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Flyer on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:10 pm

Just a quick question for the Sydneysiders.
I'm staying in Parramata.
How l long should I allow to get to Mancini's?
Thanks.
Flyer

Postby Onyx on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:02 pm

I'd say give it 40 minutes Flyer. That's assuming unfamiliarity with the roads, getting stuck in traffic, and other unforeseen issues...

Leek, hope you get well for tomorrow. Kipper, your reputating preceeds you - so I hope to meet you and have fun at the shoot tomorrow. :)

I've loaded Raszevski's curve, anticipating strong sun and high contrast. I'll blame Georgie Gardner if it's wrong. 8)

Friday diners - hope you've had a sumptuous meal.
Onyx

Postby sheepie on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:11 am

leek wrote:The lucky B(*&($s at the Friday night dinner are probably working their way thru the 4th course of their chinese meal at the moment...
I should have been there, but had a heavy head cold and decided to save my energy for tomorrow's festivities...
Bon Appetit Guys - I hope you had fun...

Yes, it was very YUMMY! But too much wine! Public Transport here I come ;/
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Glen on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:21 am

Sheepie, I admire you getting public transport from your place to the shipyards, well done :wink:
Thank You
Glen

Postby sheepie on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:27 am

Glen wrote:Sheepie, I admire you getting public transport from your place to the shipyards, well done :wink:

I don't think it'll be too bad - train to central, light rail to Rozelle, not far to walk. Then again, it is Sydney! Will report this afternoon (if I get back!)
I just don't think I should be driving - not when I still feel a bit drunk!
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Glen on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:31 am

I just don't think I should be driving - not when I still feel a bit drunk!

The sign of a good night Leon :wink:
Thank You
Glen

Postby wendellt on Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:59 pm

No drink driving will be tolerated!!

to make things worse there are no trains running out of belmore or strathfield after 11:00pm, we all might have to crash out at Birdy's
wendellt

Postby MHD on Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:08 pm

mmmm... soooo much food... didnt need bfast or lunch today!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby rokkstar on Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:16 pm

wendellt wrote:No drink driving will be tolerated!!

to make things worse there are no trains running out of belmore or strathfield after 11:00pm, we all might have to crash out at Birdy's

I heard that the trains to Belmore were out today so there is a replacement bus service to Sydenham. Any idea what time they stop? I should imagine the last bus to is same time as the train would be. At least I hope so!!
Matt
rokkstar

Postby wendellt on Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:23 pm

MAtt

the Sydenham bus service may take an hour to belmore

best if you catch a regular train service to Strathfield and then catch a cab it's only 3.5KM to mancini's from strathfield

or catch the 415 bus from strthfield which stops near Mancini's

I am leaving paddington at 5:00pm will get to starthfield well before 5:15pm to catch the 415 bus.
wendellt

Postby rokkstar on Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up there Wendell.
I'm leaving from Central so what time you reckon I need to leave if I'm going to get a cab?
Matt
rokkstar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements