Telstra Outage.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Telstra Outage.

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:13 pm

Thanx telstra; you're truly marvellous.

Our upstream connection has been out since about 9 am this morning. No ETA for a fix as yet. Hell, not even an acknowledgement that there's a problem.

The backdoor to the site is forum1.D70Users.com, btw. keep that tucked away somewhere for your future reference.

If you haven't yet done so, please remember to complete (and forward to us) the Anniversary Questionnaire:
Microsoft Word (doc)
Adobe Acrobat (PDF) (Thanks to jdear)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:05 pm

On first glance, I thought that said "Telstra Outrage"

Maybe it should :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Onyx on Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:10 pm

If we don't understand what this means in terms of how it'll impact our surfing experience, do we still have to worry?
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:00 pm

With the right medication, you never need to worry.

:D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:41 pm

What I've found out thus far is that somebody between my ISP and myself, be that Telstra or another party, arranged for the disconnection of about 400 accounts!

Greg - outrage is absobloodylutely the correct word.

My ISP suggests that the situation might be rectified by COB.

That's COB tomorrow!

All of our email is affected by this as well, btw. I'm not exactly a happy camper.

Although I have no direct comeback to Telstra on this issue, I have placed a couple of calls and am impressing upon them the urgency with which this issue needs to be rectified.

Leigh has suggested though that we take this opportunity to migrate the service to GoDaddy, and I just may do that.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:58 pm

Gary,

Don't you just love these people. Disrupt you with one swift action, but take nearly 30 hours to rectify.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Thanks for get this back to our normal life Gary! :wink:
I can finish off a week work today! A good productivity day!
And proposed to go to bed early :roll: make the wife surprised and suspicious about the quiet day today.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:02 pm

Fozzie,

Yep.

I just got off the phone from a Telstra Wholesale person, confirming the inclusion of the third party.

I've made it very clear to this person that AFAIC, the disconnection was illegal, as it does not have my authority, and the situation need to be rectified tonight.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 pm

Now I'm not technically minded but I've just gone with Neepers suggestion of dreamhost.com for hosting and running a web site etc..with 2400meg of space...and lots of other 'goodies' for US $9.95 for a YEAR!?! I might be barking up the completely wrong tree here tho!? :) Just a possible suggestion.

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:25 pm

Geoff,

Not a bad suggestion, but I have a distrust of situations where I don't have control over things like the domain delegation. I know that's something that you're expecially sensitive to. :)

We have a solution in mind, and we now have a window of opportunity to implement this, so stand by ... hopefully we'll be back to normal by the morning, despite Telstra and AAnet's best efforts at intransigence and incompetence.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm

Gary, thanks for all you are doing
Glen

Thanks Gary and Leigh

Postby bago100 on Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:03 pm

Thanks for all you are doing to keep the forum alive and active

It never ceases to amaze me how many times the things that someone else does causes problems for you. This is one of those events.

I get lots of these kinds of problems at work.

Now, I'm off to read the other 593 posts that I missed yesterday and today! Sheesh :D

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Return to Announcements