A Stray A Day

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A Stray A Day

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:10 pm

Ok, so yestiday was movin' day, and Temorrah is Straya Day.

I think ut's time for a Straya Day shoot.

While I'm stuck in the raid-ya station Temorrah, (but will be heaven fun in the shed) I think youse all should be goin' out and shootin' somethin' Strayan with youse cameras. Digtell or filum is fine, but post yer efforts here.

Any questions? I didn't think so!

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: A Stray A Day

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Happy 'straya day.

Here is my little effort at a 'strayan pic.

Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Patrick, I love it.

Any others? After six hours on the air, I wanna see some photos.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Wink on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:43 pm

That's great!
3 iconic Aussie symbols tied into the one shot.

But seriously... Electric lawnmower? :lol:
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby Killakoala on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Wow, such green grass. Looks like it's a week overdue for cutting :) Regardless of the method of new-age propulsion of the iconic lawnmower, I think the image works.

I did take a photo today, but alas it was crap. I stayed at home in the heat and listened to Gary on the radio. (Barry McKenzie??? What were you thinking Gary?) :shock:
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks folks.

I expected more photos posted!

The grass has been exagerated a little in post - I wanted to get greater differentiation between the long grass (4 weeks since the last mow!!!) and the freshly cut grass.

The electric mower - well, it was a low cost replacement for a push mower. Our yard is not big enough to justify a full-petrol mower.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:52 am

HI Steve,

Killakoala wrote:I stayed at home in the heat and listened to Gary on the radio. (Barry McKenzie??? What were you thinking Gary?) :shock:

Smacka Fitzgibbon, if you please! :)

You should think yourself lucky I didn't pull anything from the Bazza McKenzie Party Songs album.

Peter and I decided, last week, that we would do 100% Australian music for the whole of The Shed. About 2:30 on Monday I took a call from Dicko to say that he couldn't make his shift, so Peter and I decided to just continue on until 5, and that we'd do 4 hours solid Oz music.

My only regret was that I didn't prompt Peter to bring in his copy of The Newcastle Song.

And as you could hopefully tell, we did have fun. I hope that you enjoyed it.

But were are the rest of the images? Was nobody shooting yesterday?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Jenno on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 am

Great image Patrick
Thinking back to my childhood, we couldnt afford a real cricket bat. :( ..we used to make ours from a fence paling :)
Jenno

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 am

Jenno wrote:Great image Patrick
Thinking back to my childhood, we couldnt afford a real cricket bat. :( ..we used to make ours from a fence paling :)

When I was a kid, we had a willow cricket bat that had to be oiled before use. None of this 'ready to bat, already knocked in' rubbish that the youth of today have. I remember having to trudge to the backyard in 5 feet of snow, bare-foot, just to play backyard cricket. :D
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 am

Reschsmooth wrote: I remember having to trudge to the backyard in 5 feet of snow, bare-foot, just to play backyard cricket. :D

Patrick was so poor that his family could barely afford to buy him thongs, hence the barefoot walk to the backyard.

This was, of course, in Queensland, where the effect of global warming has been such that they no longer enjoy the 5 feet of snow in summer. :mrgreen:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 am

gstark wrote:This was, of course, in Queensland, where the effect of global warming has been such that they no longer enjoy the 5 feet of snow in summer. :mrgreen:

Sir, have I offended you at all? Is there a reason you state that I was raised in Queensland? I was born'n'bred in the western suburbs of Sydney, mate.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:43 am

Reschsmooth wrote:
gstark wrote:This was, of course, in Queensland, where the effect of global warming has been such that they no longer enjoy the 5 feet of snow in summer. :mrgreen:

Sir, have I offended you at all? Is there a reason you state that I was raised in Queensland? I was born'n'bred in the western suburbs of Sydney, mate.

Mea culpa, my good man. I was confused by the snow: where else in Straya do (or did) we get 5 inches (as opposed to 10cm) of snow during cricket season? Mt Wellington, perhaps, but it's not flat enough for a pitch.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dviv on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:38 am

My pics from yesterday:

My son Jason:

His cousin Evan:
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby Geoff on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:52 am

Great shots gentlemen! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby rflower on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 pm

Local council put on an arvo at the beach, with games for the kids, *free* bbq / sausage sizzle and fireworks

The obligatory sand castles were also built ...

*** *free* bbq would include standing in line for hours waiting for 1 snag each, and running out half way through, organisers going to find some more at 7:30pm on Australia day - lucky the local coles / woolies / safeway stores would have been open on the public holiday, and then running out again at 9pm.
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Postby Jenno on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 pm

OK I'll play.

Got up early (like 4am) on Stray A Day and toddled off to Turimetta Beach to catch a sunrise.

In spite of the misty rain on the way there, it was dry and calm on the beach..but the sunrise was far from spectacular.
Nevertheless, this was the product of the day's play.

Jenno

Postby dawesy on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 pm

A friend of mine standing next to his new wife, saying hello to his new Mother in-law while his new brother in-law watches on:

Her family is Turkish so it was a real melding of cultures, what could be more Australian?
dawesy

Postby colin_12 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm

I guess I look at some things a little differently.
This was taken with my daughter playing over and on me. She is 3 :up:

We did go to a BBQ with friends later though. :up:
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby biggerry on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 pm

whats more aussie than burnign thousands of good dollars on some gunpowder so that we can go 'ooohh' and 'aaahh' and collectively lament the annoyance of backpackers...

then look at all the smoke on the way home....

and some more fireworks in case you missed the first. :roll:

my tip for australia day - ride ya push bike...nothing better than laughing at the road jammed motorists as you scream past :rotfl2:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Wink on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Those fireworks shots are awesome!
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby paulmac on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm

G'day Fellas!
My bonza bloody bewdy sheila suggested we spend the 'Straya Day weekend in Syddely. So we's did!

Traffic jam:

We saw some ripper cars on show:

and lots of kids (and beaut sheilas) with flags on:

but even with box seats I only managed a few decent fireworks shots. Too much bloody smoke!
paulmac

Return to Announcements