Picture of the Week/Month

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Picture of the Week/Month

Postby Greg B on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:33 am

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW

Seriously - vote now

I mean it - now people. Vote now.

Something a little different for the Picture of the Week for
Tuesday 4 August. Instead, it will be Picture of the Month,
any shots posted here from 1 July to 31 July inclusive will
be eligible for selection.

And the winner will be chosen by you.

There will be one "vote" per member.

Please email your selection to
dslrusers@gmail.com
and include a link to the relevant thread, if there is more than
one image in the thread, please identify which image you are
selecting

If you wish, you can include a comment about why you have
chosen the relevant image - we will include the comments
relating to the winner in the thread on 4 August.

Cut-off for your emails will be midnight on 1 August. Anything
received after that will not be considered.

As with all PotWs, this is just for the glory, but we hope you find
it interesting to go through the selection process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Gary's announcement regarding the
AW Sydney Dinner. August 8
See thread here

AW Dinner

The AW Sydney dinner is set for August 8, at the Bach Dang restaurant at Canley Vale.

The venue serves great food and at very reasonable pricing.

Numbers are limited, so please let us know your interest in this thread.

AW Walk

There is also a 2x2 walk earlier in the day (see HERE for details)

Dinner attendees ...

gstark
nnnnsic
Glen x 2
Stubbsy
Matt K and Philo

Dinner maybes...

aim54x
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Re: Picture of the Week/Month

Postby ATJ on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am

Cool idea, Greg.
Greg B wrote:Something a little different for the Picture of the Week for
Tuesday 4 August. Instead, it will be Picture of the Month,
any shots posted here from 1 July to 31 July inclusive will
be eligible for selection.

I have a question of clarification, if I may. When you say "any shots posted here", do you mean any shot anywhere on the site, not just Image Review and Critique, and not just POTW "winners"?
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:51 am

Greg B wrote:Dinner attendees ...

gstark
nnnnsic
Glen x 2
Stubbsy
Matt K and Philo

I was going to go, but then I saw there were going to be two Glens! I thought if you met your doppleganger, you died!

I will put my hand up for a maybe with a possibility of 1 to 2.75 attendees.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby DebT on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:02 am

Hi Greg -
think it's a great idea and I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to see all pictures posted this month without having to go and re read every thread - I just think I am likely to miss things and there has been so many excellent shots ?

Going forward though for the next month is there a way we could perhaps nominate a shot as it is posted, perhaps have it copied to a separate thread, or placed in a POTM gallery ? so at the end of the month all the nominated shots are in the one place for all members to view - making voting much easier for everyone ??

DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Postby Greg B on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:43 am

ATJ wrote:I have a question of clarification, if I may.

Yes, you may

ATJ wrote:When you say "any shots posted here", do you mean any shot anywhere on the site, not just Image Review and Critique, and not just POTW "winners"?

To be honest Andrew, I hadn't considered the first part of your query, but typically PotWs come from the Image
Review and Critique area of the forum. But, in the spirit of PotW, you can select any shot you like from anywhere
on the forum as long as it is first posted within the prescribed period 1 July to 31 July inclusive. Images from elsewhere,
however, are probably less likely to get more than your one "vote".

Second point - this is not a best of PotW thing, it is really just a PotW but drawn from a month of posts
rather than the usual week (or so). So all images posted during the relevant period are eligible for selection.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Greg B on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 am

DebT wrote:Hi Greg -
think it's a great idea and I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to see all pictures posted this month without having to go and re read every thread - I just think I am likely to miss things and there has been so many excellent shots ?

Going forward though for the next month is there a way we could perhaps nominate a shot as it is posted, perhaps have it copied to a separate thread, or placed in a POTM gallery ? so at the end of the month all the nominated shots are in the one place for all members to view - making voting much easier for everyone ??

DebT

I understand your comments and concerns Deb, but I'm afraid you will just have to battle through.

I suggest you look through the Images section each week and bookmark threads of interest, and review at the
end.

There really won't be a two stage nomination and final voting process. Just a matter of selecting an image
you like. :)

My thinking behind this idea was
1. To give people a purpose for looking through the posted images, and maybe make some comments along the way
2. To give everyone a taste of the selection process and to have an involvement
3. And just for fun.

I hope lots of people make a selection, we will see.

:cheers:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby ATJ on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Greg,

I've made a suggestion in Leigh's thread which might help with PotM: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36865&p=391996#p391996
ATJ

Postby phillipb on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:38 pm

further to Andrew's Idea, maybe we should automatically turn every picture post into a "Poll" that way you can put a score if you so wish at the time of viewing.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby ATJ on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Phillip's suggestion gives me another idea.

Perhaps there could be a button on posts that have images (either only in Image Review and Critique or elsewhere). The button allows someone to nominate a picture for the Picture of the Month competition. Then at the end of the month, all the nominated pictures are placed in a single thread or some other page (hopefully automatically) and people vote for the image they like the best.

The nominate button could require a comment as to why it was being nominated which would be displayed in the thread, or perhaps you could only click the nominate button if you had posted a comment.

Depending on how many images get nominated and how many nominations each image gets the process could evolve and maybe an image needs a certain number of nominations to make it into the PotM comp.

These are really just ideas that are coming to me as I type and could probably be improved upon.
ATJ

Postby surenj on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:57 pm

ATJ wrote:Perhaps there could be a button on posts that have images (either only in Image Review and Critique or elsewhere). The button allows someone to nominate a picture for the Picture of the Month competition.

Great idea Andrew. :up: :up: Could the computer guru's comment on how tricky this is to implement?

I don't see myself sifting through all the posts at the end of the month. I think I will just vote whenever in the month if I thought the image was eye catching enough. Too bad if another comes along AFTER I have voted. I will need to keep track of whether I have already voted at any given time.
surenj

Postby ATJ on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:52 pm

surenj wrote:Could the computer guru's comment on how tricky this is to implement?

I'm not sure if I'm a "computer guru" but I would have thought that the "Report this post" button could be used if it couldn't be cloned for the specific purpose of nominating a post. Even the result of "Report this post" would be suitable for this purpose.
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:18 pm

OK, thinking about this some more... Here's a way that would work, but would be a bit of work for someone at the end of each month.

Add an extra option to the categories in "Report this post" of something like "Nominate this post for picture of the month". If there is more than one image in the post, the person has to indicate which image in the text of the report form.

At the end of the month the top n (10? 20?) image based on nominations get put into a new thread which is a poll and people vote for the one they want. The one with the most votes at the end of the voting period wins.

While this results in a 2 step process, it means that as people look at images, they can nominate it there and then and not worry about a "better" one coming along later in the month. They just nominate that one, too.

A simplified version of this would just be to choose the winner based on the number of nominations.
ATJ

Postby sheepie on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:39 pm

I'm a MAYBE for the dinner at this stage - should know for sure in the next week or so :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Greg B on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for your interest in the PotM.

This particular PotM will be along the simple lines outlined, but we may
introduce a regular PotM (although probably not every month, but let's see)
depending on interest and participation etc.

So keep those ideas coming in.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby chrisk on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:42 pm

ATJ wrote:OK, thinking about this some more... Here's a way that would work, but would be a bit of work for someone at the end of each month.

Add an extra option to the categories in "Report this post" of something like "Nominate this post for picture of the month". If there is more than one image in the post, the person has to indicate which image in the text of the report form.

At the end of the month the top n (10? 20?) image based on nominations get put into a new thread which is a poll and people vote for the one they want. The one with the most votes at the end of the voting period wins.

While this results in a 2 step process, it means that as people look at images, they can nominate it there and then and not worry about a "better" one coming along later in the month. They just nominate that one, too.

A simplified version of this would just be to choose the winner based on the number of nominations.

this is an excellent idea !

i'm not sure how the current POTM thing is gonna work, there's alot of threads in a month and you recallin a great shot from the start of the month towards the end could get difficult. i dont think its sustainable to do it the way you've specified in all honesty.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Greg B on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Rooz wrote:i'm not sure how the current POTM thing is gonna work, there's alot of threads in a month and you recallin a great shot from the start of the month towards the end could get difficult. i dont think its sustainable to do it the way you've specified in all honesty.

I'll let you know on 5 August :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby zafra52 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:30 pm

It is a great idea and one that can become very popular, if done correctly. The question is how to implement it in such a way that it is transparent to all and it doesn't create any more work for you guys (those of you behind the scene making this site work).

I would suggest a system of voting per picture (1 = good, 2 = very good and 3 = exceptional) next to each picture published. Then a clever script adds all the points either showing the total votes collected or a graph as a percentage, may be in a different page altogether.

Problems are:
1) I have not idea of programming and I can be of very little help.
2) I would not know how you could prevent people from voting for their own pictures
3) Or voting twice for a friend.

However, the key thing here is that to make it successful a you cannot rely simply in the memory or notes of members. Many pictures are erased soon after they are critiqued. Above all, you need to make it as simple as you can for yourselves.
zafra52

Postby Geoff on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm just wading through the image area to vote for POTM! Come on people, let's get VOTING!!!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Greg B on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 pm

Geoff wrote:I'm just wading through the image area to vote for POTM! Come on people, let's get VOTING!!!

Thanks Geoff :up:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Return to Announcements