Boys and their toys

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Boys and their toys

Postby gstark on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

As we're starting to get ready for PMA, Poon sent me a little package, which we managed to extract from local post orifice this afternoon. So, "what was in it?", I hear you ask.

Just two things ...

First up, a device called an O-Flash. This is a very interesting device. It's basically a reflector that fits over the head of your SB-800 or similar, and converts it to provide you with ringflash functionality. Our initial testing of this indicates that it's going to be a very useful and inexpensive way of lighting your close-up images. We'll post some sample images later ...

Secondly, we have a GPS unit for Nikon bodies. From what we can see, this unit looks to be very similar to the proper Nikon unit. Technical specifications, accessories, the look of the unit ... and it also can work with your computer as a GPS unit too. We'll be playing with this one tomorrow, and Leigh will have both of these units with him at Saturday's 2x2 meet.

I'll be finding out pricing as soon as I can, but not until Poon is out of hospital. My understanding is that it's not serious, but that explains why I've not been able to make contact with him this week.

In the meantime, come along to the 2x2 on Saturday, and don't forget PMA in just three weeks time.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Boys and their toys

Postby surenj on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Thanks Gary,

Hope poon is ok....

For the interested parties who can't wait to get the O flash in their hands on Saturday.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/aussiestrobists/discuss/72157616724909518/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nelsonlai/3525978272/in/photostream/?addedcomment=1#comment72157617953461807
surenj

Postby radar on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:54 am

Gary, thanks for the update, will look forward to seeing Poon in person at the PMA and to try his new gear.

Pass on our well wishes to Poon.

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby TTT on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:52 pm

hi,
hopes Poon bring lots of stock of o-flash and GPS to PMA !
TTT

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:21 pm

radar wrote:Gary, thanks for the update, will look forward to seeing Poon in person at the PMA and to try his new gear.

Pass on our well wishes to Poon.

Thanx Andre; done, of course.

TTT wrote:hopes Poon bring lots of stock of o-flash and GPS to PMA !

My understanding is that he will be bringing an ample sufficiency.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:44 pm

gstark wrote:

I assume he'll be collecting GST and we'll be paying it for any goods purchased at PMA. Am I correct?
ATJ

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:58 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:

I assume he'll be collecting GST and we'll be paying it for any goods purchased at PMA. Am I correct?

That's a bloody good question, and I really don't know. It is certainly something that we need to find out about.

And the good news is that he's out of hospital and back at work. Apparently he contracted some sort of virus the caused his eyes to become very bloodshot. I'm thinking perhaps something sinus related? Monday it was very bad, he informs me.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:17 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:

We're still looking at this, but initial thoughts are that turnover will be below the GST threshhold. Not exactly sure what that means from a practical sense though. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:58 pm

gstark wrote:We're still looking at this, but initial thoughts are that turnover will be below the GST threshhold. Not exactly sure what that means from a practical sense though. :)

I'm pretty sure you are correct here. My accountant tells me the threshold is $50k. i.e. if the turnover is less than $50k, you don't need to add GST or issue a Tax Invoice.
ATJ

Postby radar on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:53 pm

ATJ wrote: My accountant tells me the threshold is $50k. i.e. if the turnover is less than $50k, you don't need to add GST or issue a Tax Invoice.

Last I talked to my accountant, I was under the impression that the limit is now up to $75k. You should still issue an invoice just not a tax invoice.

EDIT: just checked the ATO's site and it is $75k
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby ATJ on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:40 pm

radar wrote:
ATJ wrote: My accountant tells me the threshold is $50k. i.e. if the turnover is less than $50k, you don't need to add GST or issue a Tax Invoice.

Last I talked to my accountant, I was under the impression that the limit is now up to $75k. You should still issue an invoice just not a tax invoice.

EDIT: just checked the ATO's site and it is $75k

Thanks André. That would be right. It was a few years ago when I last discussed this with my accountant. It is good they have raised it.
ATJ

Return to Announcements