Sydney PMA - Excitement builds

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sydney PMA - Excitement builds

Postby gstark on Wed May 20, 2009 4:27 pm

And especially for us at DSLRUsers: I have just had confirmation that our good friend, forum member, and supplier of bargains, Poon, has confirmed his attendance. He has booked a 15m Sq booth.

He is going to be bringing lots of toys to the show - actually, he will be arranging pre-shipment to Sydney. And he is looking forward to meeting as many of you, our members, as he can, while he is here.

We will be arranging a dinner in Chinatown for the Saturday night; if you're interested in attending, please indicate your interest within this thread so that I can start to gather numbers.

And if you are interested in assisting on the booth - talking with people, getting to know Poon and his products - then please let me know by PM.

More to come; stay tuned.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Sydney PMA - Excitement builds

Postby aim54x on Wed May 20, 2009 4:58 pm

I will try to get some time off work to come to at least the saturday night session, if not I will try to make dinner (even if I am late and I arrive after the food). It would be good to catch up with ppl. Love my Phottix!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Wed May 20, 2009 5:15 pm

Gary,

Is your other company taking a booth too?

:biglaugh:
photohiker

Postby big pix on Wed May 20, 2009 5:23 pm

and will you be wearing your salesman hat and badge...... or sitting quitely just playing a tune...... :wink:
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby gstark on Wed May 20, 2009 5:55 pm

photohiker wrote:Gary,

Is your other company taking a booth too?

:biglaugh:

big pix wrote:and will you be wearing your salesman hat and badge...... or sitting quitely just playing a tune...... :wink:

Probably all of the above. Leigh and I will have media credentials, but Poon has also asked us if we can help him on the stand. We're just looking at hotels in the area for him.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Wed May 20, 2009 6:55 pm

Forgive my ignorance, Where is this held? What are the entry prices etc?

Thanks for the early notice Gary.
surenj

Postby gstark on Wed May 20, 2009 7:05 pm

surenj wrote:Forgive my ignorance, Where is this held? What are the entry prices etc?

Darling Harbour, exhibition centre. Free if you book early - http://www.pmaaustralia.com.au/index.html. And also check the links in the calendar section on the portal page.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby radar on Wed May 20, 2009 11:14 pm

I'll be there but will miss the Saturday dinner, bummer! It will be good to catch up.

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Matt. K on Sat May 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Saturday dinner for 2 thank you. :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby photoaffinity on Sun May 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Woo!
You can put me down for a spot at dinner :)
photoaffinity

Postby surenj on Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks for that Gary. I have registered.

I just wanted to clarify that there won't be anything for sale? [touting and hawking prohibited - I thought these were the fun stuff :mrgreen: ]

Are we supposed to just play with stuff, decide and buy from elsewhere?

It would be good to meet everyone. Are we all gathering at the same time? 2pm? Earlier for the people who wanted to help setup I suppose.

Can't make it for dinner though.
surenj

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed May 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Sadly I'm already booked for dinner, but I will make the effort to get out there and say hi to Poon. Thanks for the heads up, disappointed I miss out on dinner with the gang.
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Wed May 27, 2009 1:18 pm

surenj wrote:Thanks for that Gary. I have registered.

Great

I just wanted to clarify that there won't be anything for sale? [touting and hawking prohibited

Touting and hawking usually relates to others, not registered as attendees at the convention. Poon is registered, and will be sending me a supply of stock that he intends to have for sale. My understanding is that he has asked the organisers if he is able to sell stuff there, and they have confirmed that it's ok.

It would be good to meet everyone. Are we all gathering at the same time? 2pm? Earlier for the people who wanted to help setup I suppose.

PMA begins on the Thursday, IIRC, with the trade show commencing on the Friday. Poon will be set up on his stand for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with the public only admited on the Saturday PM and all day on the Sunday.

So, the setup will probably be taking place on the Thursday ...

Can't make it for dinner though.

That's a shame. Saturday is the best day all round, especially as I have tix for S&G on the Sunday night.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Wed May 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks for that Gary.

Can I confirm that pre-registered people = general public? Therefore can only attend at the designated general public time slots ie Sat Afternoon + Sunday?

I think I will probably drop in Sat afternoon. When is everyone else coming in?
surenj

Postby gstark on Wed May 27, 2009 7:31 pm

surenj wrote:Can I confirm that pre-registered people = general public? Therefore can only attend at the designated general public time slots ie Sat Afternoon + Sunday?

Depends: in what capacity have you registered?

If you've registered as a pro photographer, or as a retailer or a wholesaler, then you'd be considered to be "trade" and thus able to attend the trade show at any time. If you're paying to attend the conference (which is essentially a marketing deal) then you may also go to the actual conference sessions.

But if you're registered as just an enthusiast, then you'd be likely to be regarded as the GP.

Does that help to consufe you ?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 pm

gstark wrote:
surenj wrote:Depends: in what capacity have you registered?

I think I would be the general public in that case. I registered as an enthusiast.
surenj

Postby whitey on Wed May 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Wont be able to make the dinner though have a charity ball to attend, strangely enough at Darling Harbour.

I registered as a pro :oops: as I can only attend on the Friday. I do have some paid work coming up 8)

I am hoping the Aussie dollar has a big run and poon brings down a big bag of D700's at ~2500 :up:
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby Onyx on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Gary, relay to Poon Chi says hi. I've lost touch - with him, with you, with everyone on these forums (and with reality)... I'll make a special effort to be down for PMA/meet.
Onyx

Postby timbo on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:52 am

Onyx wrote:Gary, relay to Poon Chi says hi. I've lost touch - with him, with you, with everyone on these forums (and with reality)... I'll make a special effort to be down for PMA/meet.

Hi Chi: I'm in the same leaky boat. Longtime no see, one and all! Hope to see you there on Saturday.
Have mouse, will travel
timbo

Postby colin_12 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi Ho,
It's off to the show we go.

+ 1 more for dinner Gary
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby muzz on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:38 am

Would someone mind asking the Canon reps there when the 60D will be released :wink: :wink:. A few specs wouldn't go astray either. See how it matches up with this.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:27 pm

gstark wrote:And if you are interested in assisting on the booth - talking with people, getting to know Poon and his products - then please let me know by PM.

Still looking for a couple more bods, if possible.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Also, we need a folding table and a few folding chairs for the stand.

Does anyone have anything we might be able to borrow for a few days? Please send me a PM.

Thanx in advance.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:21 pm

If all goes to plan and my employer (Kevin Rudd is a wanker :shock: ) allows me to have a life outside of work, then I should be able to be there on Saturday. I won't be able to make the dinner, which is a shame as I would otherwise have loved to be there.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Return to Announcements