We Tweet

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

We Tweet

Postby gstark on Sat May 16, 2009 2:23 pm

I've just created a new Twitter account for DSLRUSERS. I intend to use it for service updates, such as when the site may be down with a problem at the server, as it is right now.

So, if you were following dslrusers on Twitter, you would have been advised that there's an outage at the primary web server hosting service, which is affecting sites that use PHP scripting. That means us. :(

I could have also tweeted that because d70users.com is hosted on a different server, you could use that site temporarily until the problem is fixed, but as I'm the sole follower right now, I'm not sure that I see a need for that. :)

However, for those who are already Twitterati, please feel free to add dslrusers to your following list, and then you can get the updates.

I may even add event notifications, if you feel that's a good idea.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: We Tweet

Postby big pix on Sat May 16, 2009 4:10 pm

...... is there a link to Twitterati or would it be " those who seek will find" :mrgreen:
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby gstark on Sat May 16, 2009 4:12 pm

http://twitter.com

Signup is free, then follow dslrusers.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Sat May 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Thank God coz I’m sick of these:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@dslrusers.fmgl.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.dslrusers.com Port 80
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Chica on Sat May 16, 2009 9:55 pm

You tweet, I tweet, but I couldnt find dslrusers on Twitter. Are we still tweeting?
Chica

Postby DanielA on Sat May 16, 2009 10:11 pm

Just searching Twitter came up with http://twitter.com/dslrusers

I'm not in to Twitter, but I subscribed to the RSS feed. 8)

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby gstark on Sat May 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Chica wrote:You tweet, I tweet, but I couldnt find dslrusers on Twitter. Are we still tweeting?

Absolutely. See Daniel's post.

As mentioned in my initial post on this thread, I'm hoping that the posts will be few and far between, as my primary intention is to use them as a status update for all y'all.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 pm

First time used in anger.

Seemed to work ok from my end. Others' PoV please?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Mon May 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Signup is free,

so is facebook :twisted: , but i choose not to sign up :roll:

I just check back every now and then to see if it comes back up! no biggie.... it is good to have an alternative means though :up:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby gstark on Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 pm

biggerry wrote:
Signup is free,

so is facebook

Which I refuse to have anything to do with.

Likewise - moreso, even - MyuglySpace.

Talk about an offense to one's senses. May as well partake of some mate in public!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Mon May 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Within seconds of signing up I got 6 emails from them offering me Britney Spears sex videos. :shock: I can see why people are reluctant to join.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby photohiker on Mon May 25, 2009 6:20 pm

I must be getting old, because I can't see what this adds to the site.

If I go to DSLRUsers.com and it doesn't work, I already know it's broken, so I'll try again later or tomorrow or whenever it takes my fancy.

Michael
photohiker

Postby gstark on Mon May 25, 2009 6:45 pm

phillipb wrote:Within seconds of signing up I got 6 emails from them offering me Britney Spears sex videos. :shock: I can see why people are reluctant to join.

Go to (your Twitter) settings, and make your profile private.

photohiker wrote:I must be getting old, because I can't see what this adds to the site.

If I go to DSLRUsers.com and it doesn't work, I already know it's broken, so I'll try again later or tomorrow or whenever it takes my fancy.

It potentially can give you some meaningful information about the outage. For instance, if I'm performing maintenance, you can get an insight into how that is going.

Also, it lets you know that I know that the site is down: often other members will email, IM, or SMS me to let me know that there's a problem. As I'm not online 24/7, this is sometimes very useful information for me and let's me get onto an issue in an earler timeframe than might otherwise be the case. Once I know that there's an issue, I can let everyone else know, and there's no need for for others to then tell me that the site's down.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby muzz on Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 pm

I didn't sign up, but I went to the bottom of the twitter main page and used the search link to look for dslrusers - once the latest results were found I had the option to save an RSS feed, which I did and now I can look at it whenever I want without signing up. PS Can you send me one of those Britney vids! :wink:
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby phillipb on Mon May 25, 2009 7:45 pm

muzz wrote: PS Can you send me one of those Britney vids! :wink:

Sorry mate, you have to sign up for that :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby DanielA on Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 pm

I thought it was strange I didn't see anything via the RSS feed, when I went to Twitter just now it said "This person has protected their updates."

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby gstark on Mon May 25, 2009 11:16 pm

DanielA wrote:I thought it was strange I didn't see anything via the RSS feed, when I went to Twitter just now it said "This person has protected their updates."

I was getting some spammer attention, so I made the tweets private.

Bloody spammers really give me the shits. Right now I'm in the process of totally reworking how my emails are handled, simply because of the levels of spam that I've been seeing of late. The levels have increased exponentially over the last couple of months. I truly wish their PCs would just blow up in their ugly pinheaded trite little faces.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Tue May 26, 2009 1:17 am

gstark wrote:blow up in their ugly pinheaded trite little faces.

:mrgreen: Did they offer to enlarge your member[s] ? :mrgreen:
surenj

Return to Announcements