Another new world

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Another new world

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:04 pm

With the meltdown of the global economy, so too there has been a minor meltdown in other areas of the economy. This has presented me with a number of new challenges, and I've needed to have a serious think about how best to address them.

You would be aware that in the past I have supported this forum with finances and time, but due to this economic meltdown I now need to reverse those flows

I've discussed this at length with the mods, and we've tossed around all manner of ideas: charging members for access to the site, asking for contributions, placing ads on the site. I consider none of these options to be particularly attractive, and despite my personal aversion to advertising, I think that having the site host a small amount of advertising is probably the best of those alternatives.

Why?

From your point of view, it's totally passive; nothing changes, save a bit of extra content, and some extra cookies.

Were we to go down either of the other paths, that would have meant that perhaps I needed to implement some way to accept payments from you, and it would have also led to having me restrict the valuable resource that I think this site represents. I didn't like any of that, and I disliked the implications of those outcomes even more than I dislike advertising Further, I'm not sure that those paths would have been able to adequately address the challenges that I have, over the longer term.

So ... I have already added a Privacy Policy to the site. That was probably something I should have done a while ago. It's accessible from a link on the Portal Page, and that will always be the case.

I shall be starting to add some code to bring Google Adsense to this site later this evening. I promise to try to keep it as unobtrusive as I can.

And because of the challenges that I know several of us are facing at this time, there will be a new section appearing in the Members section shortly as well, where members may place notices of opportunities that they may have in order to be able to help others here. These may be in form of job vacancies, or perhaps just help wanted: maybe somebody needs some assistance with a short term or temporary task, and this will be where you may post such a notice.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Another new world

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Sounds like a necessary evil.
Alpha_7

Postby colin_12 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 pm

This sounds OK to me Gary. Better than going belly up and having no site.
We like it here.
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby aim54x on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Totally understand the need Gary, lets just hope that it works for us all.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby asho on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:04 pm

I normally run adblock to stop adverts - but I like to support community sites and I have now whitelisted dslrusers.com so I will be sure to check out the advertisers to help with your costs.
asho

Postby aim54x on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:06 pm

asho wrote:I normally run adblock to stop adverts - but I like to support community sites and I have now whitelisted dslrusers.com so I will be sure to check out the advertisers to help with your costs.

Yes that is a good idea!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby blacknstormy on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:04 pm

right behind you Gary ...
edit - just saw my first ad !! :)
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby sheepie on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:25 pm

No problems with this approach at all Gary - and the use of Google appears to put aside the potential issues we've discussed over the years in regards to remaining impartial.

Just don't sell out on us completely! Oh - wait - you already did that one! ....And April 1 is fast approaching ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop, Gary.

When I think how much I have gained from this forum over the four or more years that I have been a member, having to cope with some advertising on the site is no problem. I read newspapers and magazines - adverts. I watch TV - adverts. It is hardly anything that is new to any of us.

May the GFC be quickly over.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Willy wombat on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:17 am

Thanks for the update Garry. 8) sign of the times.

Let us know how you go developing scope for donations too. Perhaps we can also register as a charity for taxation purposes? :lol:
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby garyr on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

the foto fanatic wrote:When I think how much I have gained from this forum over the four or more years that I have been a member, having to cope with some advertising on the site is no problem

:agree:
GaryR

40D, 24-105L/F4, 50/1.8, no talent
garyr

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:52 am

Thanx, all, for your support in this.

sheepie wrote:No problems with this approach at all Gary - and the use of Google appears to put aside the potential issues we've discussed over the years in regards to remaining impartial.

That was also an important consideration.

Just don't sell out on us completely! Oh - wait - you already did that one! ....And April 1 is fast approaching ;)

Watch this space.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:54 am

Gary - thank you for your openness.

Should the need arise in the future, I personally have no problem with making a donation or annual fee.

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby radar on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:14 am

Not a problem Gary, the Google Ads you have setup are pretty unobtrusive so if it can help, I'm all for it. Keep us posted on how things are going, I'm also willing to chip in if need be in the future.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby ozimax on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:17 am

the foto fanatic wrote:May the GFC be quickly over.

GFC? What GFC? Doesn't bother me in the least. I went bankrupt during the boom years... :)

As for Gary's post, do what you need to do, no problems with me.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Greg B on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:38 am

Great to see the positive responses.

:up:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:17 pm

Does this mean we can finally access penis enlargement medication on our favorite site? :lol: :lol: I have no problem and see it as a necessary evolution.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:20 pm

Patrick,

Which part is the necessary evolution? That you need penis enlargement medication? :mrgreen:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:54 pm

I'm just so happy that I now have access to ads for "deer fence". :roll:
ATJ

Postby Matt. K on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:59 pm

A small price for a great forum. Looks like a positive response from everyone...which says a lot for the quality of the members.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby rflower on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:01 pm

ATJ wrote:I'm just so happy that I now have access to ads for "deer fence". :roll:

I am seeing that as well ... The Google adds sem to be smart and want to advertise what is on the page. The first thing on the Recent Posts page is ... Show latest Posts. so the adds all seem to be for fencing ... :roll:

Overall, I do not mind the adds - whatever it needs . I am also happy to help out
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Postby gstark on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:08 pm

Russell,

rflower wrote:The first thing on the Recent Posts page is ... Show latest Posts. so the adds all seem to be for fencing ... :roll:

Thanx for that. I've been trying to understand the connection, and the logic had been escaping me.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby NeoN on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:10 pm

I rather have adverts ,than no Forum at all , and the fact that we had it good for so long ,we should all be grateful,for not many sites if any ,will give you the same help, and constructive advise ,and to all Moderators and Gary ,thanks to your input and hard work ,we all of us enjoy a GREAT SITE .Thank you :D
NeoN
NeoN

Postby ATJ on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:19 pm

rflower wrote:I am seeing that as well ... The Google adds sem to be smart and want to advertise what is on the page. The first thing on the Recent Posts page is ... Show latest Posts. so the adds all seem to be for fencing ... :roll:

Ah, that explains it. And also why the ads on the page I see now (mode=quote) are:
Ads by Google Love Quote Funny Bible Quotes Best Quotes Stock Ticker Quotes
ATJ

Postby chrisk on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:49 pm

fozzie wrote:Gary - thank you for your openness.

Should the need arise in the future, I personally have no problem with making a donation or annual fee.

fozzie

x2. i am totally oblivious to the cost of keeping this site going. i dont see why a small contribution from all of us cant be made to keep the site afloat. these are tough times aproaching and we should all be looking to help eachother out.

if you dont want to make it a compulsory thing, then ad a "donations" tab linked to an account and give people the opportunity to help in any little way they can.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby whitey on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:45 pm

With the recent outages I realised how much I need my daily fix of the site. Would be happy to make some contribution to the ongoing running.
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby glamy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:43 pm

fozzie wrote:Gary - thank you for your openness.

fozzie

Same here :up:
glamy

Postby big pix on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:18 pm

I have been here so long it just feels like home....... if a few ad's makes the difference between having a forum or, may I not be struck down as Gary has some big time friends, not having a forum, I will take the one with the ad's......

I have meet a lot of people through this forum, thanks Gary, who are still good friends today, and I am sure others have as well........

..... and may I also say if we have to pay a membership, so be it, I am in
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby blacknstormy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Does this mean we can finally access penis enlargement medication on our favorite site? :lol: :lol: I have no problem and see it as a necessary evolution.
 LOL - that comments begs to differ - no problem indeed ;) LOL
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby biggerry on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:28 pm

One primary reasons for me initially choosing this forum over several other australian based ones was the clean and ad free look, however I understand the costs involved in running such a site, so this (ads) was a necessary path. However I would support a donation system in preference to ads, mainly since, like someone also mentioned previously, I block most ads on sites I regularly visit, hence my support would be higher through donation :D

Nonetheless, I agree with the fact I would rather have ads then no forum :)
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:31 pm

it is a solid club of valuable members indeed :cheers:

on a commercial note, if we are enjoying "Google Ads", should consideration be given to provide some commercial space for our members to advertise? understandably contained, but a natural progression in fairness to enjoying google ads one would think. i dont mean a flogathon, but just thinking outside the conditions we have had in the past... food for mods thoughts...
Oz_Beachside

Postby ozczecho on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Geat job Gary...its a great forum and what ever helps finance is all good.....as far as ads go google ads are the best of a bad bunch :D

...also not a bad idea suggested by Oz_Beachside.
ozczecho

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 am

gstark wrote:Patrick,

Which part is the necessary evolution? That you need penis enlargement medication? :mrgreen:

If I meant that, I would have said 'overdue' (although given one and a half issue, probably unnecessary). :D :D But enough about me... :lol:
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby dawesy on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:36 pm

One imagines we actually need to click through occasionally for the site to reap any financial reward? On that assumption I have done so during today's visit. It was even a relevant add, D300 batteries!
dawesy

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 pm

dawesy wrote:One imagines we actually need to click through occasionally for the site to reap any financial reward? On that assumption I have done so during today's visit. It was even a relevant add, D300 batteries!

I'm still experimenting with ad quantity and placement, and I'm trying to figure out what works, and what might not.

I would encourage anyone to click through on any ads that they may happen to hold an interest in. I would not suggest, nor encourage, clicking just because it may gain me a financial reward.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby muzz on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:54 am

I haven't been here long enough to get used to the specifics of the site but I'm certainly not bothered in any way by the ads. I only come here for the articles (honest cre8tivepixels!) so they don't distract me.

I hope to continue to gain great tips and helpful information from the wealth of knowledge present here - I'm sure a few lines of blue text and the odd gif here and there won't pose a problem.

gstark wrote:I would not suggest, nor encourage, clicking just because it may gain me a financial reward.

I think it would take a lot of clicks to send you to Monte Carlo but I don't have a problem clicking through even if I'm not interested if it means that the site can continue.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:37 pm

muzz wrote:
gstark wrote:I would not suggest, nor encourage, clicking just because it may gain me a financial reward.

I think it would take a lot of clicks to send you to Monte Carlo

That is certainly true. The whole thing is steeped in mystery and to some extent, confusion. Google do not tell you what the actual earning rates might be, and looking at the numbers, there is no semblance of consistency from one day to the next.

And from what I'm seeing, one day's earnings won't even buy your lunchtime sandwiches.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby muzz on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:03 pm

gstark wrote:The whole thing is steeped in mystery and to some extent, confusion. Google do not tell you what the actual earning rates might be, and looking at the numbers, there is no semblance of consistency from one day to the next.

rflower wrote:The Google adds sem to be smart and want to advertise what is on the page.

Hey Gary, once you get a handle on it, maybe we could have a competition to craft the post that gets the highest premium from the ads, or see who can generate the weirdest ads from a post! All that clicking would have to stimulate the economy a little. PS. Just clicked an ad to win a Canon "Professional" Digital SLR - turned out to be a 450D :roll: !!!
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:53 pm

muzz wrote:Hey Gary, once you get a handle on it,

I suspect that that's a challenge that's beyond a mere mortal like me. For instance (and bear in mind that today's numbers don't complete till 7pm Sydney time ...

Yesterday ...

Code: Select all
Page impressions     Clicks     Page CTR    Earnings
3,293    17    0.52%    $y

Today
Code: Select all
Page impressions     Clicks     Page CTR    Earnings
3,271    13    0.40%   $y/3

I've removed the actual $ amounts because that might be in breach of the Ts&Cs, but I think you get the idea. With over an hour still to go for today, there's barely a guitar nipple's difference between the number of impressions, and while yesterday has only four more clicks-through, that seems to have about tripled the earnings available to me. And none of those daily earnings numbers reach into double figures.

maybe we could have a competition to craft the post that gets the highest premium from the ads, or see who can generate the weirdest ads from a post! All that clicking would have to stimulate the economy a little.

I'm not sure how we could gather that metric. I guess that people could, when they see a weird ad on a posting page, capture an image of the page and then post that; that would perhaps address the second part of what you're suggesting.

Of course, while the sarcastic/silly part of me really likes that concept, the forum admin in me might be inclined to wonder whether that might not be considered to be a tad off topic. Even within our Media Watch thread. :)

PS. Just clicked an ad to win a Canon "Professional" Digital SLR - turned out to be a 450D :roll: !!!

Please be careful to not tread in that pile of steamy, smelly marketing over there. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 pm

I think I agree with the majority of what has been said above, with the exception of the penis enlargement bit. Everyone knows it's money, fame and a flash car that matters.

I can understand how much trepidation you must have had to add ads to the site, knowing your personal feelings on advertising and marketing in general, so I salute your testicles. It's a good job you are doing this now and not in late March or I would not have believed you :)

As has been suggested, a donation link might be a good idea. There are plenty of us that can afford to help out this magnificent forum in a financial way and we would be happy to do that to ease the burden. I'm not sure how you could add that option though and I would say many of us would not trust Paypal. Maybe there is some other way, I don't know as I have no idea about setting up a commercial venture online. I know this would be the last option you choose, but please consider it. We are generous too.

I can't see an annual fee or subscription working. I would envision that it would destroy the site rather than save it.

Another option not yet mentioned is maybe you could petition Kevin47 for some of his 'Economic Stimulus Package' money. It would be nice to see my taxes being spent on something I can obtain value from rather than see it pissed up a wall.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Although I’m not adverse to paying for something good I do believe that paying money to a forum would open a can of worms with the tax office.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby biggerry on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:03 pm

I would say many of us would not trust Paypal

a donation link might be a good idea

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Onyx on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi Gary - long time member, infrequent visitor...

Reading between the lines, am I right to assume you have had a significant change in yer dayjob arrangements necesitating this site to be more financially self sufficient?! If so, my condolensces, if not - well just ignore me.

I'd be in support of a donations system for this site. eg. mini-meets attracting a cover charge, with first timers getting it refunded or something.
Onyx

Postby Raskill on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Killakoala wrote:I salute your testicles..

Is this a navy thing....? :rotfl2:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Killakoala on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:10 am

Raskill wrote:
Killakoala wrote:I salute your testicles..

Is this a navy thing....? :rotfl2:

Could be!!...... Sometimes it's unavoidable. :roll:
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Ben.bb on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 pm

I think a three chears, and a round of beers and a big thank you is in order for garrys time and effort keeping this site going!
Canon Body's, Canon Glass, Lowepro Bags, Manfrotto & Gittos Poles = My Empty Bank Account
Ben.bb

Postby surenj on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Oops I was wondering these ADs were until I realised I had to turn off ADBLOCK for this site!

Gary you will have to do what you will have to do. We are behind ya.
surenj

Postby stubbsy on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:53 pm

muzz wrote:PS. Just clicked an ad to win a Canon "Professional" Digital SLR - turned out to be a 450D :roll: !!!

And if you look at what you need to do for the free entry (I've circled the "juicy" bit) it demonstrates TANSTAAFL:

Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:13 am

Which begs the question: what in the world are you subscribing to, that would cost (and might be worth) $20/week!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Ben.bb on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 am

gstark wrote:$20/week!

$20 twice a week, read it closely gary :up:
Canon Body's, Canon Glass, Lowepro Bags, Manfrotto & Gittos Poles = My Empty Bank Account
Ben.bb

Next

Return to Announcements