A New World

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A New World

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:26 am

It has nothing at all to do wth photography, but it has everything to do with the world within which we all live, and that we all share.

The events of this morning - the swearing in of the 44th President of the United States Of America - are of great significance to all of us, and I offer congratulations to the people of the USA, and to their new president.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: A New World

Postby Greg B on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 am

Hear hear.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby ATJ on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:07 am

And in an interesting slant, we can probably thank Dubba Ya for making it all possible.
ATJ

Postby chrisk on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 am

i'm glad you started this thread. i was not sure if it was something we could discuss.

here ends the reign of the greatest c**t of a leader in the history of the free world. let us hope history will not be lenient and serves as a cautionary tale to all american people that never again should a racist, fear mongering moron ever...EVER be trusted with the most powerful office on Earth.

the issue with bush wasnt the growth of his enemies so much as it was the alienation of his allies. any attack on the USA now is an attack on the world. times like this make you proud.

my only regret is that the canon fodder served up to us by Bush and the likes of Palin are now over. no more classic lines or one-liner pearlers to have a good old belly laugh at. it is a regrettable necessity no doubt. in this vein, i would like to quote a famous black comedian, (forgot the blokes name), who i saw during the candidate nominations. In response to Palin's claim that she was of sound credentials on foreign policy cos she could see Russia from her backyard, his response was "well i can see the moon from my backyard bitch, that dont make me an astronaut."

will obama provide us with such entertainment ? i think not.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Laurie on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:14 am

Been sitting at work, watching the coverage by the Today show in the background.

I think he will do a great job. I hope he will do a great job.
Good on him
Laurie

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 am

Rooz wrote:my only regret is that the canon fodder served up to us by Bush and the likes of Palin are now over.

I thought he used a Sony ??? :wink:
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff M on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 am

gstark wrote:I
The events of this morning - the swearing in of the 44th President of the United States Of Australia - are of great significance to all of us, and I offer congratulations to the people of the USA, and to their new president.

Does that mean 'we' are taking over the leadership :shock:
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 am

Geoff M wrote:
gstark wrote:I
The events of this morning - the swearing in of the 44th President of the United States Of Australia - are of great significance to all of us, and I offer congratulations to the people of the USA, and to their new president.

Does that mean 'we' are taking over the leadership :shock:

:oops:

Corrected. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:08 am

Good God people he’s a bloody politician and the only reason he is receiving such accolades is because he is not white. Let’s just wait some time and see if he is up to the job.

Signed: a non-Bush supporter
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby foonji on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 am

Obama's Presidential Portrait was taken with a Canon 5dMkII
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 am

sirhc55 wrote:because he is not white.

Which I think is a major part of the significance of this event.

Is he up to the job? Could he possibly be worse than his predecessor? At least he can speak with a fair measure of intelligibility, which is way more than we could dare say about Dubbya.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:09 pm

he is also a man that sings from a different hymm sheet. no more fear talk...much more hope talk.

alot of people say "he hasnt done anything yet." i defy that. he has inspired people. he had almost 2million people attend an inaguration speech that lasted 20 minutes in freezing temperatures. he inspires, he motivates, he unifies, he moves people. he does what a GREAT leaders are meant to do.
chrisk

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 pm

He is but the titular head of a nation in decline, just like the Roman empire.

Why do you think that people in the public service earn more than the leader of a nation? Because any nation not ruled by a dictator is only as good as the public service :wink:

Doe he inspire me, no.
Does he motivate me, no
Does he unify me, no.
Does he move people, probably yes as the number of US troops in Afganistan is due to be increased.

I do hope that he does prove to be a good president but without all of the rhetoric - let’s give the guy some time and see where he REALLY goes.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby chrisk on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm

its not necessarily important that he doesnt do all those things to you as an individual. whats important is that you can at least recognise that he represents an inspiring breath of fresh air to many others. what his election also did was symbolise an america that was sick of the old way. sick of the fear campaigns and sick of the negativity.
chrisk

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I agree that the US, and the world, need a new direction.

I agree that the previous administration committed some grievous errors. I note that, during the eight years of the last administration, the US went from an economy in surplus to one that is just shy of US$2 trillion dollars in deficit.

However, I also agree that, as yet, the new President has proven nothing other than the fact that he is a great orator - words must become deeds before we start anointing him with holy oil. He was also able to raise the millions of dollars needed for someone to become the leading politician in the world's leading democracy. :roll: So much for anyone being able to become president.

Yes, we are all optimistic. Yes, it is a breath of fresh air.

But fresh air from Washington isn't going to give people jobs, or prevent banks from failing, or stop most of the world's economies from falling into recession.

Let's remove the burden of expectation from his shoulders and let him get on with what is going to be a mammoth task.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Big V on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Well sport and politics mixed yeaterday and I had a conversation with our Prime Minister whilst visiting the tour down under village, he was just finishing a press conference at th Hilton. Interesting he is glued to his blackberry just like Obama
the blackberry
Canon
Big V

Postby ozimax on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Good God people he’s a bloody politician and the only reason he is receiving such accolades is because he is not white. Let’s just wait some time and see if he is up to the job.

Signed: a non-Bush supporter

Pretty fair comment. Like Australia, the vast majority of Americans did not vote for Obama. In that vein, blacks are now the 3rd racial group, numerically speaking, in the USA, behind whites & Hispanics. I do wish the new president the best, but only time will tell whether or not he is genuine.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Announcements