Are we there yet?

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Are we there yet?

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:32 am

Well, that depends. Where is "there" ?

It's certainly December. The days are long, the nights are warm, the knights are restless, and the silly season is well upon us.

Today we have the first of the Chrissie functions from the forum, with a barbie in Melbourne. To all of our Mexican members, please be sure to throw Ken a shrimp, and to otherwise have a great time, and to stay safe and well. Remember that I have little sympathy for any pain or discomfort that is self-inflicted. Wish I could be there.

Next weekend we have a pic-a-nic in Adelaide, and a barbie in Sydney at Sheepie's. Silly Season? Who would call themselves "Sheepie"? You betcha it's the silly season! :)

I'll be at Leon's, along with many others; it promises to be a great afternoon. The Adelaide picnic also looks to be well attended, and I wish everyone well there too.

I think the Queenslanders are still finalising things for their fling, but they still have ten years within which to complete their planning.

Plus an hour. :)

Of course, by asking "are we there yet?" I might also be referring to the judging for the current challenge.

And the answer would be "nearly" - we're at the short-ish list stage, but as the winners won't be announced till next Saturday, we can take our time a little.

But please, permit me to quote from a PM I received from Matt K. His remarks refer to the images that we're judging, and they need no further comment from me.

Matt. K wrote:Some of the best images I've seen in any of the competitions! The standards are bloody high with a 50/50 mixture of outstanding technical quality or emotional creative inventive poignant.....call it what you will.....bloody good images!

For those of you that are partying over the next few days and weeks, enjoy yourselves, but please, stay safe.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Are we there yet?

Postby SteveGriffin on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Ha! Mr Stark you are dreaming if you think that Queensland is 10 years behind.

I find it amusing that every year our mexican friends in NSW and VIC wind the clocks forward an hour in a valiant but unsustainable attempt to catch up to QLD. It is apparantly to much for the populus south of the border though because by the end of summer they wind the clocks back to be the full 10 years behind again. :wink:
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:02 am

SteveGriffin wrote:Ha! Mr Stark you are dreaming if you think that Queensland is 10 years behind.

You're right, Steve. I was being generous. :P
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:39 pm

gstark wrote:
SteveGriffin wrote:Ha! Mr Stark you are dreaming if you think that Queensland is 10 years behind.

Very generous I'd say Gary. :)

And....if Queensland is so beautiful one day and perfect the next, why is Coffs Harbour FULL of Qld'ers every Christmas, populating our beaches, driving (sic) on our roads, eating our bananas? :mrgreen:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby SteveGriffin on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:56 pm

ozimax wrote:And....if Queensland is so beautiful one day and perfect the next, why is Coffs Harbour FULL of Qld'ers every Christmas, populating our beaches, driving (sic) on our roads, eating our bananas?

Because there is no room in QLD because of all the bloody mexicans that are up here! :cheers:
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby ozimax on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:35 pm

SteveGriffin wrote:
ozimax wrote:And....if Queensland is so beautiful one day and perfect the next, why is Coffs Harbour FULL of Qld'ers every Christmas, populating our beaches, driving (sic) on our roads, eating our bananas?

Because there is no room in QLD because of all the bloody mexicans that are up here! :cheers:

In caravans.... :D
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:55 pm

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:

And....if Queensland is so beautiful one day and perfect the next, why is Coffs Harbour FULL of Qld'ers every Christmas, populating our beaches, driving (sic) on our roads, eating our bananas? :mrgreen:

They've run out of cheap petrol, and they're stuck there. Sorry, Oz. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Big Red on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 pm

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:

they have happy hour, find out they are an hour early, have happy hour again then realise they are too pissed to drive and have to stay another day where it all starts again :mrgreen:
Big Red

Postby Killakoala on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:08 pm

It's a vicious circle.

But at least Tasmania is ahead of every body else in Aust. The sun gets up earlier and sets later in summer than up north, so we must be ahead of ya'll. We don't really need daylight savings, but we do it anyway so your airlines don't stress out when they land before they take off when they get to Hobart. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Return to Announcements