Village... people

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:50 pm

Don't worry, it's not you.

The person in question rarely contributes.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby leek on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:36 pm

Hah! Gotcha!!! Just trying to indicate how paranoid some of us might be... or maybe how careful one needs to be with one's language around here...

At least I got my gibe about the Coke bottles in...

I enjoy being here and personally would rather hear it directly if I've
caused any offence... You guys do a great job, but you've got to promise not to take it too seriously as well...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:49 pm

We don't take it seriously (for the most part), but some people can be incredibly irritating.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:28 am

John,

leek wrote:I enjoy being here and personally would rather hear it directly if I've caused any offence... You guys do a great job, but you've got to promise not to take it too seriously as well...

Having met you, were you the miscreant, I'd have no issues in approaching you directly with a PM. Probably lob it to you in a Coke bottle, just to be clear.

In the case in point, as Leigh says, the individual rarely contributes, has made no contribution to this thread, but when he opens his mouth, it seems as if it's usually just to change feet.

His comments come (across to me) with an attitude as well, and he also seems to be somewhat young and probably overloaded on testosterone. That creates a combination of factors that I'm a tad concerned about, and I was trying to find a very gentle way of dealing with it.

Chances are that we might have made him a Village Idiot for a week, returned him to normal status, and, such is his frequency of contribution, he'd never have even noticed!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Deano on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:35 am

Gary,

With all due respect to the great work you do here...

gstark wrote:There is a lot of good natured ribbing that goes on, and I encourage that. This, IMHO, would be another example of that.

While I accept that some people might take offense, I would counter that bu suggesting that if they do, given the nature of this forum, they need to start taking life a little less seriously.

Perhaps even get a life.

gstark wrote:In the case in point, as Leigh says, the individual rarely contributes, has made no contribution to this thread, but when he opens his mouth, it seems as if it's usually just to change feet.

Might I suggest that, as you have pointed out that this individual causes mild irritation not warranting more formal action, you need to get a life yourself and just get over it.

I agree with the majority view on this issue that singling out individuals by attributing an ambiguous label is only likely to cause a negative vibe to develop which nobody here wants.

However in the spirit of the joviality you are seeking to further encourage, I do like the idea of a dick of the week award (perhaps sponsored by Feltex Rubber) to gently poke fun at those who say silly or funny things. In fact I would be happy to nominate myself for a couple of my posts.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

D2x | Nikkor 24-120vr & 50/1.8 | Sigma 12-24 & 24-70/2.8 & 70-200/2.8 | SB800 | Velbon 640CF Tripod w/ Markins M10 & RRS plates.
And then there's my Bag Collection... Sweeet....
;-)
Deano

Postby Manta on Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:10 pm

I personally think Gary and Leigh can throw in what ever little tricks they want - it will always be up to the individual as to how such tags, comments, hints, coded replies or whatever are received.

I have read plenty of posts here that express strong opinion and in many cases contrary opinion to that expressed by other members. I have, at times, misconstrued the meaning behind some posts (probably due to my new-ish status here and not yet getting a handle on member's personalities) and have asked for clarification. Such clarifiaction has always been forthcoming and has allayed my initial suspicions.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm yet to see any posts that deliberately set out to humiliate or offend other members and I PERSONALLY don't see how the "Village Idiot" tag could be taken in any other context than that in which all other posts, gibes and comments are made here.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Previous

Return to Announcements