Canon users rejoice!

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Canon users rejoice!

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:59 pm

I've just recieved some lens prices from Poon.

I suspect that our Canon members, till now somewhat immune from lens lust, are about to get some pleasant shocks.

And the 580 ex is there too, but not the 480 ex, as it's out of stock.

And just to keep us Nikonites honest, I now have prices on the 18-55 II, and 18-135 - yep, the D40 and D80 kit lenses are now available for general consumption.

That raises one question though, and I'd appreciate it if D80 kit owners could let us know what the 18-135 is like, because we've simply not had any reports, godd, bad, or indifferent, on what this lens is like.

So, in summary, Canon glass at our usual, laugh-till-your-bank-balance-is-empty prices, and a couple of new items as well.

Enjoy!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby Big V on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:17 pm

Gary, a big thank you to both Poon and yourself for this. Even though I have just qualified for "Canon Pro Prices" here in Adelaide, I am sure Poon will be more competitive and I look forward to doing business.
Canon
User avatar
Big V
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Postby Kris on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:08 am

Gary,

the list says $1030 for the 135mm F2.0L - is that a MISS print? I assume it excludes tax & shipping?

Amazing price!!!
5D | 16-35L | 35L | 85L | 135L | 70-200F2.8IS | 580EX
My Blog - http://www.allkris.com
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dastrix
My Website - http://www.kriskeen.com.au
User avatar
Kris
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:31 am
Location: East, Sydney

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:02 am

Kris wrote:Gary,

the list says $1030 for the 135mm F2.0L - is that a MISS print? I assume it excludes tax & shipping?

Amazing price!!!


Kris,

I'm a tad confused; it says $1045 for this lens on the list, and that was what my SQL query inserting the record into the database says, so I'm wondering where you got the "1030" from.

But otherwise, yes, that is the correct price from Poon, based upon the list he gave me yesterday evening. If you think the price is just way too low, then I can arrange to charge you more. :)

Seriously, I can recheck with Poon to just make sure he gave me the correct prices.

Like everything on our list, this price excludes GST - please see the notes on our pricelist regarding this aspect, because this is an important consideration.

Like everything on our list, this price does include shipping to your door, however.

Big V,

I'm happy that we can now (finally!) start to give the same sort of service that our Nikon users have been enjoying for the last two or so years to our growing base of Canon members.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby Kris on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:05 am

Gary

I think I musta been on drugs :P 1045 is DIRT CHEAP!! Even with 15% in charges which I doubt would be added thats a bargain

Im ordering now, Tripod is on the backburner :)
5D | 16-35L | 35L | 85L | 135L | 70-200F2.8IS | 580EX
My Blog - http://www.allkris.com
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dastrix
My Website - http://www.kriskeen.com.au
User avatar
Kris
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:31 am
Location: East, Sydney

Postby ozonejunkie on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:24 am

Great to see! Pity it arrived at the time that I am trying to save some money. :( Why do you people always do this to me! :?

I am looking forward to seeing some pricing on the 430EX when it comes back in stock. :D

Gary - you have listed a Canon 18-105 II lens - according to the Canon website this lens is not made. I am correct to assume that is the 28-105 II? :D

Tristan
User avatar
ozonejunkie
Member
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: ANU, Canberra - EOS 30D

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:31 am

Tristan,

That's a good question. I'll check and advise within this thread.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:41 am

On the topic of the Nikon 18-135, I have been pointed to Thom Hogan's Review.

Thanx Eveyoz.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby Kris on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:05 am

w00t! Canon 135mm F2.0L ordered :) Cannot wait!
5D | 16-35L | 35L | 85L | 135L | 70-200F2.8IS | 580EX
My Blog - http://www.allkris.com
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dastrix
My Website - http://www.kriskeen.com.au
User avatar
Kris
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:31 am
Location: East, Sydney

Postby Heath Bennett on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:17 am

85mm 1.2 II ...DROOL...
HB
User avatar
Heath Bennett
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:49 pm
Location: Morisset/Bonnells Bay

Postby petal666 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:54 pm

The 135f2.0 is the only outstanding price, but it certainly is that.
Canon 1D III
User avatar
petal666
Senior Member
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 am
Location: Toowng QLD - 1D III

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:30 pm

petal666 wrote:The 135f2.0 is the only outstanding price, but it certainly is that.


I find your comment interesting.

A quick scan of eBay shows me, for instance, the 15mm is around Au949, or plus shipping of au81 or au975 plus 20 shipping.

Our price for this lens is just Au830, including shipping.

Similarly, the 70-200 f/4 IS is au1640 plus Au80 shipping as against the forum members' price of Au1430, again including delivery.

By way of comparison, I'm seeing the 135mm f/2 on ebay for au1225 plus Au79.95 shipping, against our Au1045 including shipping.

To my mind, these are all representing similar pricing relationships, and appear to provide a saving - delivered - in each case of between 20- 25% as against the ebay prices quoted, plus a purchaser will be dealing with a known and very reputable supplier (Poon) so I would appreciate it if you could clarify your comments a little further.

And if the prices are too high, then by all means, members can and should go elsewhere, but in the instances that I've looked at thus far (I just chose a couple at random) I don't see anything to support your statement.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby Kris on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:55 pm

No issues here - i think they are a steal, even the 70-200 F4L IS!
5D | 16-35L | 35L | 85L | 135L | 70-200F2.8IS | 580EX
My Blog - http://www.allkris.com
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/dastrix
My Website - http://www.kriskeen.com.au
User avatar
Kris
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:31 am
Location: East, Sydney

Postby Big V on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:11 pm

I will support Gary and Poon on this, these prices are very good and you know where and who you are getting your goodies from..
Canon
User avatar
Big V
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:37 am
Location: Adelaide

Postby daniel_r on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:30 pm

gstark wrote: plus a purchaser will be dealing with a known and very reputable supplier (Poon) so I would appreciate it if you could clarify your comments a little further.


Gary, is it even possible to put a price on the service Poon offers to this community? 8)

Without the bargains through Poon, many of us here would be shooting with far less exotic glass. Without the bargains, I'm sure we'd see the kit lens and the 'G' (70-300) more highly represented!


gstark wrote:And if the prices are too high, then by all means, members can and should go elsewhere, but in the instances that I've looked at thus far (I just chose a couple at random) I don't see anything to support your statement.


Ted's always get confused... the price they give me for everything makes me think they have a hearing issue and that I asked for a quote on a quantity of 2!
D.
Daniel_R's Flickr gallery
I shoot with Nikon stuff.
User avatar
daniel_r
Senior Member
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT.

Postby adam on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 pm

haaaaaaaa, when I thought I got over lens lust.... these come up!!!!

thanks Gary and Poon :)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
User avatar
adam
Senior Member
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:27 pm
Location: New Caledonia

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:44 pm

ozonejunkie wrote:Gary - you have listed a Canon 18-105 II lens - according to the Canon website this lens is not made. I am correct to assume that is the 28-105 II? :D


Glad you asked.

It's the 28-105mm f4-5.6. AU$235 delivered.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby petal666 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:30 pm

gstark wrote:
petal666 wrote:The 135f2.0 is the only outstanding price, but it certainly is that.


I find your comment interesting.

A quick scan of eBay shows me, for instance, the 15mm is around Au949, or plus shipping of au81 or au975 plus 20 shipping.

Our price for this lens is just Au830, including shipping.

Similarly, the 70-200 f/4 IS is au1640 plus Au80 shipping as against the forum members' price of Au1430, again including delivery.

By way of comparison, I'm seeing the 135mm f/2 on ebay for au1225 plus Au79.95 shipping, against our Au1045 including shipping.

To my mind, these are all representing similar pricing relationships, and appear to provide a saving - delivered - in each case of between 20- 25% as against the ebay prices quoted, plus a purchaser will be dealing with a known and very reputable supplier (Poon) so I would appreciate it if you could clarify your comments a little further.

And if the prices are too high, then by all means, members can and should go elsewhere, but in the instances that I've looked at thus far (I just chose a couple at random) I don't see anything to support your statement.


Well for starters ebay is not the benchmark for Canon lenses, BHphotovideo is.

The following prices are from B&H including shipping and 2.5% currency conversion (your bank may or may not charge this). They are also USA models which means Canon AU will cover warranty in Australia, will Poons lenses be covered? BH grey import lenses are cheaper again.

50f1.4 BH$445 Poon$455
15mm FE BH$822 Poon$830
135f2 BH$1253 Poon$1045 :shock:
70-200f4 BH$830 Poon$825
70-200f4IS BH$1600 Poon$1430
580EX BH$545 Poon$540

Looks like the 70-220f4IS is also a great buy but it isn't a lens I'm interested in so I didn't look up that price till now.

Not saying Poons prices are bad, they aren't, they are compareable to BH, but you wanted me to justify my comment :) I would also say that BH is probably more reputable than Poon but no not as easy to deal with (when there are no earthquakes)
Canon 1D III
User avatar
petal666
Senior Member
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:17 am
Location: Toowng QLD - 1D III

Postby cordy on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Interesting.. I would love to see prices on

100-400 F4-5.6 IS
70-200 F2.8 IS and non IS

As well if it all possible?

Petal the big plus when dealing with Poon is the service factor and dealing with someone you know you can trust, Poon is a part of this community.

I have also dealt with BH in the past and had no problems but would prefer to do any future business personally with Poon, as long as the price difference is not major.
cordy
Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Canberra - Nikon D70 / Canon 20D

Postby Steffen on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:15 am

petal666 wrote:Not saying Poons prices are bad, they aren't, they are compareable to BH, but you wanted me to justify my comment :) I would also say that BH is probably more reputable than Poon but no not as easy to deal with (when there are no earthquakes)


Well, your power as a buyer is to shop around. Excercise it! No vendor will be able to supply at the best price all the time. For us in AU the Hong Kong connection (be it our member Poon or Birdy before The Great Divide) has provided us with pricing that easily rivalled or bettered other overseas deals. You do sometimes get better prices from B&H (or even occasionally from NOB as I've experienced recently) but on a whole the prices in the bargain section are exceptional and can be seen as a benchmark that isn't easily beaten by anyone if you live in AU. I haven't seen a single bad remark about after-sales service either.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
User avatar
Steffen
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:52 pm
Location: Toongabbie, NSW

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:33 am

petal666 wrote:but you wanted me to justify my comment :)


I did, and I thank you for clarifying your point.

I rarely go to B&H, but they are undoubtedly a dealer with a good reputation. It's good to see that the prices are competetive.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:34 am

cordy wrote:Interesting.. I would love to see prices on

100-400 F4-5.6 IS
70-200 F2.8 IS and non IS

As well if it all possible?


I can but only ask.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby cordy on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:27 am

Thanks Gary
cordy
Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Canberra - Nikon D70 / Canon 20D

Postby vikin70 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:21 pm

there seems to be two nikon 18-135 lenses listed at diff prices. discrepancy?
User avatar
vikin70
Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:43 pm
Location: Cannington, Perth [d300 woopwoop]

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:58 pm

vikin70 wrote:there seems to be two nikon 18-135 lenses listed at diff prices. discrepancy?


My error.

Thanx.

The lower price is the correct one, btw.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:56 pm

gstark wrote:
cordy wrote:Interesting.. I would love to see prices on

100-400 F4-5.6 IS
70-200 F2.8 IS and non IS

As well if it all possible?


I can but only ask.


Ask and ye shall receive.

100-400, and 70-200 f/2.8, IS and non-IS, now added to the list.

Along with the 24-105 f/4L IS USM and reduced prices on the MB-d200, and a price (now) for the MB-D80.

:)


Who's noticed the new live chat function, btw? This is not a chatroom function, but a means whereby you can chat directly with me about sales issues, sgould you need to. Please don't abuse me.

Well, not in that way.

:)
Last edited by gstark on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby fozzie on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:08 pm

Gary - I wondered what that was. A very handy tool.

gstark wrote: Who's noticed the new live chat function, btw? This is not a chatroom function, but a means whereby you can chat directly with me about sales issues, sgould you need to. Please don't abuse me.

Well, not in that way. :)


fozzie
User avatar
fozzie
Key Member
 
Posts: 2806
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:19 pm
Location: AUADA : Nikon D3/D2x - JPG Shooter

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:55 pm

Fozzie,

Yes, I hope so. It's intended to be used mainly for product enquiries, but who knows what other uses we may find for it
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
User avatar
gstark
Site Admin
 
Posts: 22696
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Bondi, NSW

Postby cordy on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:58 am

gstark wrote:
gstark wrote:
cordy wrote:Interesting.. I would love to see prices on

100-400 F4-5.6 IS
70-200 F2.8 IS and non IS

As well if it all possible?


I can but only ask.


Ask and ye shall receive.

100-400, and 70-200 f/2.8, IS and non-IS, now added to the list.

Along with the 24-105 f/4L IS USM and reduced prices on the MB-d200, and a price (now) for the MB-D80.

:)


Who's noticed the new live chat function, btw? This is not a chatroom function, but a means whereby you can chat directly with me about sales issues, sgould you need to. Please don't abuse me.

Well, not in that way.

:)


Many Thanks :D
cordy
Member
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:04 pm
Location: Canberra - Nikon D70 / Canon 20D


Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest