A few minor changes

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

A few minor changes

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:20 am

Leigh's added a Food and Wine (or somesuch) section; I've added a Business of Photography section. I've changed the Other Stuff grouping to Members Only, and moved the Bargains section into there as well.

Each of these sections, along with the humour section, have been restricted to those who have achieved member status.

Comments, thoughts?

One other observation - I was seening some poor performance of thie system - and a few others - over the weekend. This is apart from the changes we were implementing here. I've seen a significant improvement this morning, which is suggestive to me that there was some tesltra hijinx over the weekend exaccerbating the hiccoughs from the stuff we've been doing here.

Observations please.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:47 pm

I'm not entirely sure about the humour and food section as being private... they seem like things which people who haven't achieved member status could use to actually push their count higher, but things like business and bargains I understand fully.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Yes, but OTOH, they could also be seen as privileges to be earned.

As I said, I'm open to discussion on this, and can be easily swayed one way or the orther.

Or is that the tequila?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:36 pm

I wonder if people who aren't admins or moderators... that means everyone not us two... has realised they can post in this section as reply...
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:27 pm

Maybe they'll work it out ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

We can now.......

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:22 pm

Yes, I experienced significant performance issues on Sunday. Loading a post took forever, but it seems fine today.

I don't see a problem with including those sections in the Members Only area. I think it means people who have an understanding of what we are about would be posting, rather than the GU (not being elitist, but we want people with photography as their passion contributing, don't we?)

I think the sight is easier to get around. The ability to call up your posts and view posts since your last visit make it fairly easy to keep track of the threads that you have a direct interest in.
the foto fanatic

Postby Onyx on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:24 pm

testing, testing... :D

Yep, finally able to post.

Perhaps you should amend the news post with a summary regarding being a member as opposed to a new member. From the pt of view of a newbie, registering and login in does not a member one becomes.
Onyx

Postby MHD on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:27 pm

I like the business photography section... This is going to be very hand for those who need to get money to give to birddog so he can feed our lens lusts! :)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:28 pm

Onyx wrote:Perhaps you should amend the news post with a summary regarding being a member as opposed to a new member. From the pt of view of a newbie, registering and login in does not a member one becomes.

Something that perhaps should be added to the FAQ. I know that there's a hack available to change it ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:47 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:I wonder if people who aren't admins or moderators... that means everyone not us two... has realised they can post in this section as reply...

Actually, Onyx alerted me to the fact that he wasn't able to post here, and when I looked, everything was set to MOD.

No biggie ... but there was a good reason why nobody else had posted here.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby W00DY on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:01 pm

Please, Please, Please bring back the little icons for each forum to show if there are new posts in there :)

I personally find this the easiest way to keep up to date.

One other little request, can we move the section on the main page that always changes (user profile, polls, top 10 etc...) to the other side of the page and extend the top section "Topics" to show more latest topics?

Finally my last request can you please make it so that if the topic in the Topics section is to long it displays the entire topic when you hover with your mouse. This way we can see what the topic is before going into it.

:)

W00DY[/quote]
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Oh bugger.
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:08 pm

W00DY wrote:Please, Please, Please bring back the little icons for each forum to show if there are new posts in there :)

I personally find this the easiest way to keep up to date.

We've already said that we'll see what we can about it, but the new posts since last visit seems to work well for most of us. I actually fint it's better, but that's just me.

One other little request, can we move the section on the main page that always changes (user profile, polls, top 10 etc...) to the other side of the page and extend the top section "Topics" to show more latest topics?

That's real easy; do others want this?

How many topics? I think we're on 12 at the moment. 15 ? 20 ??

Finally my last request can you please make it so that if the topic in the Topics section is to long it displays the entire topic when you hover with your mouse. This way we can see what the topic is before going into it.

Dunno about this one. Let me look at our php dox and see what we can come up with on this.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:19 pm

I think I know how to do that last one... I just don't want to. Lol.
Nnnnsic

Postby MHD on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:20 pm

shouldnt be to hard,,, It has been a really longtime since I did any serious HTML (since there is so much good open source stuff) but isnt it just a mouse_over scripty thing?
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:50 pm

Gary,

I will start off by saying, that you and the support staff are doing a tremendous job :D .

Please Note:It has happened spasmodically at work today and again at home tonight, after I have logged on, and view posts since last visit, it displays say (3), but when I go into view, it says there are (0) or when using the Refresh button while logged on :? .

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby W00DY on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:44 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:I think I know how to do that last one... I just don't want to. Lol.

I am evil Leigh.... :twisted:

:lol:
Andrew
W00DY

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:47 pm

Fozzie,

What browser? What settings do you have for cookies? What os and if an NT variant, are you logged in as an administrator?

What AV and anti spyware software are you running?

I was seeing some very strange - very aggressive - results in some web browsing I was doing due to some anti spyware and firewall software I was running at one time.

For instance, I've noticed that the latest versions of CA's EZ-Trust are using Zone Alarm in a very aggressive mode as their firewall solution. I simply couldn't do any bloody thing at all, and needed to turn the damn software off!

I'm not having any issues running internally or externally, and across four different PCs in three different locations, so I'm guessing that whatever the issue is, it's going to be environmental.

You have your timezone set to GMT + 10; what timezone is your pc set to? Given that a couple of others from SA are also reporting similar issues, but nobody else seems to be seeing this issue, I'm wondering if there's something related to the half-hour time difference between there and here?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:48 pm

W00DY wrote:
Nnnnsic wrote:I think I know how to do that last one... I just don't want to. Lol.

Remember whom he has as his dad.

Evil ?? You're just a beginner! :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:04 pm

No problems here at all Gary, from home or at work - and I gotta say I love the changes :)

I too would like to see a 'hover over' the topic bringing up the full topic - we may need to bribe Leigh though.

Does he have a Stitch doll yet?

hehe
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby W00DY on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:05 pm

gstark wrote:
W00DY wrote:

Remember whom he has as his dad.

Evil ?? You're just a beginner! :)

I didn't want to go there :lol:
Andrew
W00DY

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:20 pm

Sheepie, Thanx.

Woody, no, you don't want to go there.

Fozzie, we're doing some playing here with timezones and stuff, but there is a GMT +9.5 hour setting in the control panel; I presume that if you use that setting, you're out by one hour in the postings as displayed?

My gut feeling is that what's happening is that the conbination of your system's timezone plus your GMT+10 hours CP setting is playing havoc with the recorded log in/log out time, and that's what we're seeing here.

Looking at the source, I think I'm also seeing slightly different routines that retrieve the message count vs doing the query for the items in question; I'm looking at that source now, while we're still testing the timezone theory.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:36 pm

Fozzie,

Do you log out of the system here (as in actually logging out) and if so, by what method - which screen, which logout link, etc ?

The queries are definitely time-based, and compare the post time of posts made with the time of your last visit.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Gary,

I have limited knowledge of my computer as setup by my son. Like many computer nerds, will not explain much, and moves across the keyboard too fast for me, so what hope do I have to learn anything, and he will not explain anything, that's life. Although I am very appreciate of his help.

Here we go:

Control Panel - Timezone setup as GMT +9.30 (Adelaide) ticked for automatic re daylight saving time. Setting on D70Users profile GMT + 10 as 10.5 as not available.

I am running Windows XP/SP2 with avast home edition antivirus and have received several updates in the past two (2) weeks as well as one (1)from Microsoft re security.

Also using Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE2 each nigth as well before closing down to get ris of cookie and key stroke invasion.

That is it :!: .

I am sorry, that I am not able to supply all information you require due to my limited knowledge.

Cherio,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:42 pm

Gary,

gstark wrote:Fozzie,

Do you log out of the system here (as in actually logging out) and if so, by what method - which screen, which logout link, etc ?

The queries are definitely time-based, and compare the post time of posts made with the time of your last visit.

I have been logging out here, until the option became available on the home page.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:10 pm

Fozzie,

FWIW, I don't normally log out - in the main nobody else uses the computers I use, but it's rarely necessary .... and for computers that I regularly use, I'm set for automatic login.

I've just made a minor change to the source code, and then to your configuration. Could you please log out, and then log back in for me?

Hopefully the changes I made won't cause the system to crash on you - email me if there are any issues - and let's see if the changes I've made go anywhere near addressing the problem you're seeing.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:48 pm

Gary,

I have successfully logged out and in again :D .

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:53 pm

Fozzie,

Ok, that's a good start. :) Looks like I didn't break too many things then.

Let's see whether the minor changes that I've made make any difference to what you're seeing. This will take a bit of time, as we need to have message postings occur over a prolonged period.

Please watch the messages since last login (or whatever it's called) and let me know what you're seeing.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:00 pm

Gary,

One thing I have noticed so far, is that on the home page it stated that there were two (2) messages since I logged on, and when I clicked on the option there were in fact six (6). Is this a good sign or what :?: .

Cherio,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:10 pm

Fozzie,

I'd say that's actually a good sign.

It's very possible that during busy times - like right now - messages will be posted between the time that you log in and the time that you select the next option you wish to view. Right now we have 21 users here ...

Please keep an eye on this and let me know what you're observing.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:12 pm

Gary,

Roger, wilco and out.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:19 pm

Gary wrote:I've noticed that the latest versions of CA's EZ-Trust are using Zone Alarm in a very aggressive mode as their firewall solution. I simply couldn't do any bloody thing at all, and needed to turn the damn software off!

Interesting - I'm using Zone Alarm (not the CA rebadged version) and eTrust AntiVirus 7 with no problems. Have latest version of both and my firewall is pretty tight

On the wish list - I'd like Woody's hover over since I keep doing only to remember it doesn't do that :cry: I'd also like to see a longer topis section although I must say I'm using the messages since last post a fair bit and this may become less necessary with familiarity
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:24 pm

stubbsy wrote:
Gary wrote:I've noticed that the latest versions of CA's EZ-Trust are using Zone Alarm in a very aggressive mode as their firewall solution. I simply couldn't do any bloody thing at all, and needed to turn the damn software off!

Interesting - I'm using Zone Alarm (not the CA rebadged version) and eTrust AntiVirus 7 with no problems. Have latest version of both and my firewall is pretty tight

On the wish list - I'd like Woody's hover over since I keep doing only to remember it doesn't do that :cry: I'd also like to see a longer topis section although I must say I'm using the messages since last post a fair bit and this may become less necessary with familiarity

Peter,

I found the CA rebadged version far too tight. Then again, with the firewall we have here at home, I actually don't need one running on the pc anyway; I only loaded it on the laptop for my trip OS a couple of weeks back.

Leigh says he will be looking at the mouseover stuff later tonight. I already have increased the recent posts count from 12 to 20, and have made the change in code to move the variable section into the LH side of the browser. That'll go into production later tonight or tomorrow, once we do the other (mouseover) stuff.

West Wing's about to start!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mj on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:36 pm

My my my... we have been busy little bees down at Stark Central !!!
Think I'll leave things for a few days and then think up a whole bucket of possible changes just to keep you both amused... :twisted:

Kinda agree with Leigh re the humour section... can't really see any harm having that open to the public... but then maybe I can't see the humour in closing it off :?:

Michael.
Mj

Postby Mj on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:39 pm

S**t... just checked the number of posts since last login... 397 !!!!!!!
Think I'm gunna recruit an admin just to keep me up to date with the forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheeessssshhh....

Michael.
Mj

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:41 pm

gary wrote:I found the CA rebadged version far too tight. Then again, with the firewall we have here at home, I actually don't need one running on the pc anyway

I always figured ZA and the CA renadged version were the same beast with different names so your observations are interesting. I use the firewall in my router plus ZA (sorta like a condom and a birth control pill!)

So far as the changes you're about to make, there's not a lot I can say, but I'll do it anyway :)

Thanks for making the changes. Its refreshing to see someone who "owns" something (please don't flame me anyone - I'm using the term very broadly) willing to act upon considered feedback and implement changes to something so quickly after they've just released a new iteration. PS Before anyone starts flaming me for suggesting someone might flame me I know we don't do that here. Sometimes my fingers type stuff that comes from some other part of my brain :shock:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby fozzie on Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:11 pm

Hi Gary,

View since last post has been working fine at work today :) .

Let's hope the same happens at home tonight, fingers crossed :?: .

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:20 pm

Fozzie,

Thanx for the update. I won't be home till latish, as I have a meeting to attend, but do please keep me updated on this.

I'll let you know what the changes I made were, if it continues to seem to have worked. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:03 pm

Gary,

Home computer still doesn't like moving from home page to view posts since last logged out. When the home page states, say 20 messages when I click on the option, more often than not they have all disappeared before I get to that screen :? .

Sounds like the setup on my cookies is not right :!:BTW: Is anybody else sufferng from the same problem.

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheerio,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:36 pm

fozzie wrote:Gary,

Home computer still doesn't like moving from home page to view posts since last logged out. When the home page states, say 20 messages when I click on the option, more often than not they have all disappeared before I get to that screen :? .

Sounds like the setup on my cookies is not right :!:BTW: Is anybody else sufferng from the same problem.

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheerio,

From this may I take it that your work system is working just fine now?

Please rechack the timezone on this computer.

And yes, is anyone else seeing this problem?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:46 pm

Gary,

Work is 'EXCELLENT' :D .

At home - in the control panel date/time GMT +9.5 (Adelaide) with check for automatic daylight saving. Clock on the bottom of task bar 7:16PM at time of sending this message

D70Users profile TimeZome set @ GMT +10.5.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:19 pm

Fozzie,

Ok, that's progress on one front.

At home - in the control panel date/time GMT +9.5 (Adelaide) with check for automatic daylight saving. Clock on the bottom of task bar 7:16PM at time of sending this message

You might note that your D70Users profile time is using a new option; that's one of the changes I put in the other day. You may recall that the 10.5 hour time offset wasn't available before.

The posting time seems fine; and it's reporting to me as 7:46 pm, which correctly accounts for the timezone differences.

What is the date that's set on yor home PC? My thoughts thus far are that because of the inconsistency of the timezone changes, you were coming in to the system at an apparent time earlier than when you had last logged off. Taking the same line of thought, if you date is out ...

But beyond that, I'm all out of ideas. Unless we can have someone else seeing the same issues to help throw some light onto what's happening, I can only suggest that it's something else (very subtle) within your local environment.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:43 pm

Gary,

gstark wrote:Fozzie,

Ok, that's progress on one front.

You might note that your D70Users profile time is using a new option; that's one of the changes I put in the other day. You may recall that the 10.5 hour time offset wasn't available before.

The posting time seems fine; and it's reporting to me as 7:46 pm, which correctly accounts for the timezone differences.

What is the date that's set on yor home PC? My thoughts thus far are that because of the inconsistency of the timezone changes, you were coming in to the system at an apparent time earlier than when you had last logged off. Taking the same line of thought, if you date is out ...

But beyond that, I'm all out of ideas. Unless we can have someone else seeing the same issues to help throw some light onto what's happening, I can only suggest that it's something else (very subtle) within your local environment.

Yes, I did note new option of GMT +10.5 hours, thank you.

Day/Date on my computer at home is: Wednesday, 19 January 2005.

I appreciate everything that you are doing to get it functioning correctly.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Return to Announcements