Bargains, bargains, bargains.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:35 pm

obzelite wrote:i feel a bigma coming on :)

Don't do it!

Seriously.

Just get the 80-400. You will eventually, so why bother with the Bigma? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby macka on Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:49 pm

Are you able to check whether or not something is in stock prior to ordering it?
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Macka,

Yes. Just use the email link from either the front page or the bargains page.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jben_net on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:06 pm

wow. these prices are awesome! I'll probably order the 28-70 next week. Hope the stocks last that long :)

Which leaves me with a 18-70 - any takers?
jben_net

Postby Matt. K on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 pm

Gary
Congratulations on getting this together for the forum members. Let the feeding frenzy begin! :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby big pix on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:20 pm

my wallet is empty.......... but this is great
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby blacknstormy on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:46 pm

hmmmmm.... interesting :wink:
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:01 pm

blacknstormy wrote:hmmmmm.... interesting :wink:

Rel,

Could you elaborate on your comments, please?

Bernie, yes it is great. It's taken a couple of weeks for me to put all of the pieces into place, and that's been a fair bit of work, but I think we have a great outcome for the forum members, which has always been my only objective.

Matt, I'd rather not have a feeding frenzy. I don't know that I could handle that. :) All I want to see is good value bargains for all who are qualified, and I think we're in that position now.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby rooboy on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:02 pm

Wow :shock: Those prices are pretty incredible :P

Well done to Gary & Mr Poon, I look forward to ordering something soon :)

I'm more than happy to have money going to the forum - I just hope Gary's given himself enough leeway with currency fluctuations so that a sudden drop in the Aussie dollar won't cost him anything.

:cheers:
So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all!
rooboy

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 pm

Spooky wrote:Gary, well done, looks great.

Thanx.

Can you tell me do the specials last a certain time or do they come and go any day sort of thing?

Sorry for missing this one earlier.

I personally have a problem with the concept of "specials". To my simple, non-salesperson oriented mind, if a particular price can be achieved at one point in time (subject to supplier costs being static) then I see no reason for specials, per se.

That said, I felt that something "special" for the front page was warranted and justified, and in that regard, I took a few popular items and threw them into the mix in this manner.

So, in terms of, say, if Poon is able to get a deal on a bulk order of something and he is able to pass on a saving to us, then for the future, that will be reflected in our "specials" section, because that will be what they are: a special purchase by our supplier.

Beyond that, and as I've already mentioned, as I gain experience in doing this and I can see how things develop, I'd like to think that the products we'll be bringing to your door will simply be regarded as exceptional value, with as minimal a markup that enables us to achieve these goals.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby marcotrov on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:25 pm

They're great prices :)
Gary said:
Just get the 80-400. You will eventually, so why bother with the Bigma?

Absolutely true. It's a brilliant lens and for that price it's incredible value :) You won't regret it :wink:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby macka on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm not sure if I can handle these prices on the front page. :shock:
While I may not always post, I do read these forums every day. It's already torturing me! Please remove them at once! :roll:
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby daniel_r on Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:06 pm

gstark wrote:
obzelite wrote:i feel a bigma coming on :)

Don't do it!

Seriously.

Just get the 80-400. You will eventually, so why bother with the Bigma? :)

Simon, I'll echo that comment. For the current listed price of the 80-400 on the new bargains list, it's a great deal (for comparison, do a ring around tomorrow for some retail prices on it - you'll probably think they're trying to offer you a price for 2 :D ).

The 80-400VR up against the bigma at this price... it's no contest.
D.
Daniel_R's Flickr gallery
I shoot with Nikon stuff.
daniel_r

Postby obzelite on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:46 am

yeah, cept the wife already let me get a D200 and 1640 sounds like a lot more than 1300 to a women who can only sees a big lens.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:57 am

obzelite wrote:yeah, cept the wife already let me get a D200 and 1640 sounds like a lot more than 1300 to a women who can only sees a big lens.

Here's the deal: every person I know of who has elected to buy the bigma has then gone on, within a relatively short time - to buy the 80-400. And the resale value on the Bigma is piss-all.

So your effective choices are to buy the 80-400 now for around 1640, or to buy it in three months for an accumulated total cost of around 2940.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby obzelite on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:00 am

just out of interest, if we are prepared to pay the paypal surcharge are you going to accept payments that way?

i only need 5000 and a bit points more and i get myself a 60gb video ipod, so i'm trying to use my credit card for everything.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby obzelite on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:34 pm

gstark wrote:Here's the deal: every person I know of who has elected to buy the bigma has then gone on, within a relatively short time - to buy the 80-400. And the resale value on the Bigma is piss-all.

So your effective choices are to buy the 80-400 now for around 1640, or to buy it in three months for an accumulated total cost of around 2940.

hmm, are there any charts online doing a side by side comparison?
I'm almost convinced :)
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
obzelite

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:39 pm

obzelite wrote:just out of interest, if we are prepared to pay the paypal surcharge are you going to accept payments that way?

Not at this stage. Please remember that we are not a trading site, the facility to order - and the special prices - is provided as a service to suitably qualified members.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Justin on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Oops - cannot use teleconverter I re-read the page

Also - I believe you can use a teleconverter with the 80-400.... see the following Nikon link. Sorry about the long link but the url tags don't seem to work on this

http://tinyurl.com/esxdc

Edited by Glen with Trent's great advice :wink:
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:42 pm

obzelite wrote:hmm, are there any charts online doing a side by side comparison?

I've seen exactly as many charts comparing these two lenses as I have satisfactorily sharp images from the Bigma.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby obzelite on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:53 pm

gstark wrote:
obzelite wrote:just out of interest, if we are prepared to pay the paypal surcharge are you going to accept payments that way?

Not at this stage. Please remember that we are not a trading site, the facility to order - and the special prices - is provided as a service to suitably qualified members.

thats kewl, mite see if i can pay myself, wear the 2%, withdraw the money and pay you:)
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
obzelite

Postby MCWB on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:28 pm

No URLs wider than 800 pixels please! :lol: :lol: :lol: http://tinyurl.com/ is good for this.
MCWB

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:42 pm

macka wrote:I'm not sure if I can handle these prices on the front page. :shock:
While I may not always post, I do read these forums every day. It's already torturing me! Please remove them at once! :roll:

Kris, I have a worse problem, with the drop in prices in the last few days, I have seen my lenses value drop by about $2,000 in the last 48 hours. The only thing worse is seeing the headlines 'Sydney real estate down 10%' :lol:
Glen

Postby MCWB on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:48 pm

Seriously Glen, it's hard to make money investing in lenses these days. Investing in cars is much better! ;) :lol:

P.S. Taking advantage of the $2K to convert your Cadillac to gas? :lol:
MCWB

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:02 pm

MCWB wrote:Seriously Glen, it's hard to make money investing in lenses these days. Investing in cars is much better! ;) :lol:

P.S. Taking advantage of the $2K to convert your Cadillac to gas? :lol:

That will pay for the loss in value of his lenses. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:23 pm

I thought about it years ago, the boot is modest due to the soft top, would mean that I have a car over 6 metres long with no boot (none of my cars have luggage space):lol: Maybe I will use the share theory, buy more lenses now and lower my average buy in price :wink:
Glen

Postby Justin on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Actually here you go if you want some stretch - this is the kit I would go for - the 70-200 with a 1.7 or 2x teleconverter. That will give you 340 or 400 mm reach then add in the crop factor and your out at 600mm...

And with the 70-200 VR under 2k...
Justin

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Justin,

The 2x teleconverter isn't recommended for the 70-200, and in terms of quality, it's not a patch on the 1.7.

If you really need the reach, you go for the 80-400VR. If you need the performance, you go for the 70-200VR, with the 1.7.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Justin on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:50 pm

ahh just dreaming gary! In my mind the pictures would be superb... :roll:
Justin

Postby shakey on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:10 am

Glen wrote: The only thing worse is seeing the headlines 'Sydney real estate down 10%' :lol:

You obviously didn't buy T2 Telstra shares then

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
shakey

Postby Glen on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:06 am

No Shakey and my sympathies for those who did
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:00 am

Justin wrote:ahh just dreaming gary! In my mind the pictures would be superb... :roll:

Ain't that always the way? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:04 am

shakey wrote:
Glen wrote: The only thing worse is seeing the headlines 'Sydney real estate down 10%' :lol:

You obviously didn't buy T2 Telstra shares then

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

My question is "who would?".

Or perhaps "why would you?".

It just takes a cursory glance at Telstra's heritage, with that wonderful PMG work ethic still solidly in place, to understand that what has happenned, and what is continuing to happen, was simply inevitible.

Sadly, it will take longer even than a generational change for things to begin to resolve themselves in all areas where Telstra is present, and as such, things will get a lot worse before they begin to improve.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:39 pm

Great thanks for this announcement! :D
Yi-P

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 am

G'day, is there any chance of seeing printers added to the menu in the future, such as Epson R800/1800?

Cheers

P
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:00 am

Patrick,

I'm not sure about printers as yet. I would certainly like to see them added to our list though.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Justin on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:56 am

Well - I've got a little something arriving on Monday! Just checked UPS and -

SYDNEY, AU 19/08/2006 2:08 PACKAGE DATA PROCESSED BY BROKERAGE. WAITING FOR CLEARANCE;RELEASED BY CLEARING AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT FOR DELIVERY

Woo hoo all working well!
Justin

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 am

Justin,

That is great news indeed.

Thanx for posting this.

Of course, all kudos for this go to Poon, whose service to our members has always been just exemplary.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby shakey on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:46 pm

TC 17EII and ML L3 arrived today. Thanks Poon and Gary
shakey

Postby Justin on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:05 pm

My gear arrived today thanks!
Justin

Postby Matt. K on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Justin
You are getting a nice collection of professional quality gear there! You need an SB-800 next. The camera is incomplete without it.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Justin on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:13 pm

hehe - hmmm, was that an sb800 lying next to the mb-d200 - Oh!

Just trying to figure it all out now, sigh
Justin

Postby Charlie Chalk on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:08 am

Hi All

Can I ask if non-aussie members are able to take advantage of this fantastic service?

I assume the prices are AUS $, not US.

If we are able to purchase using this method, could the form be adjusted to include destination country?

CC
D70
50mm f1.8 (hooray!) - 28-80mm f? (booo!)
Sigma 14mm (hooray-ish)
SB600 (double hooray!)
Manfrotto 0055b

Nikon SLR lenses - New UK Booster Seat law explained
Charlie Chalk

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:19 am

Hi Charlie,

You may certainly ask, but unfortunately, these are Aussie prices, and for Aussies only.

Sorry.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Charlie Chalk on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:25 am

No need to apologise. With that brief but succinct post you have quite likely saved both my marriage (you are going to buy MORE camera equipment, that's it, I'm off!) and my financial status (I'm sorry Mr Chalk you can no longer bank with us, can we have our overdraft back please?).

Never mind, I'll have to organise a delivery to coincide with my Aussie holiday - whenever that may be!

CC
D70
50mm f1.8 (hooray!) - 28-80mm f? (booo!)
Sigma 14mm (hooray-ish)
SB600 (double hooray!)
Manfrotto 0055b

Nikon SLR lenses - New UK Booster Seat law explained
Charlie Chalk

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:33 am

Charlie, this stock is from member here Poon, his store is http://www.hksupplies.com email him and let him know you are a member here, I am sure he will quote a UK price. Gary is co-ordinating things coming to Australia for this forum.
Glen

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:48 pm

A BIG THANKS TO ALL INVOVED!!!

Picked up my 28-70/2.8 Today, 6 days after ordering, im very happy!!!!

Packaging was very, very sound, and kept my new toy clean and safe.

And, just in time for tomorrow mornings shoot, im much happier going with the 28-70 over the 18-70kit.

Again, a big thank you!
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby Geoff on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 pm

Congrats oz!
Look forward to some images from your morning shoot mate! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Yi-P on Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:02 am

My new order is pending payment now. :D
Yi-P

Postby Killakoala on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:29 am

There seems to be a rush on 28-70's on this forum of late :) Yeah, i got one too.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements