Anniversary Weekend.

News items for the DSLR Users website. Also covers upcoming but important events. Locked at present time, although recognised members may post messages in response to news items posted.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Anniversary Weekend.

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:24 pm

Site problems:

Our hosts have been experiencing issues, which means that we have been experiencing issues. http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/ only tells a small part of the story. About the time they say the issue was fixed, we were down and out. I logged a fault, and then another; an hour later they said it was fixed; it wasn't, and I logged a further report. It finally came up a half hour or so later. Keep-ez-vous your fingers crossed.

Please also bookmark http://status.dslrusers.com/ or http://status.dslrusers.net/, which, in future, will hopefully reflect the status of the servers.

Many have been asking me about this for a while, but I've been busy doing all manner of things. My apologies.

But here is what's planned:

1: Dinner on Friday August 4 at the HONG KONG Noodle Cuisine, 11 Amy Street Campsie. $30 per person, and no corkage charge. Fully booked

2: Dinner on Saturday night, August 5, at Il Golosso 104 Ramsay St Haberfield. $30 per person and no corkage charge. Almost fully booked

3: Photoshop workshop - Saturday morning, August 5, 9 am.

4: Printer profiling workshop - Saturday morning, late, following photoshop workshop.

5: Minimeet, Saturday morning, August 5 8:00 am.

6: Sydney Harbour Ferry hop and photoshoot. Circular Quay, Saturday morning, August 5, 9 am.

7: Sunday Brunch, Sunday morning, August 6, 10 am-ish. We're still working on this, but we have enough interest to make it happen.

As noted above, places for the various events are quite limited - we're deliberately keeping the events small this year. So you'll need to go here quickly to book your attendance at the various events.

In order to simplify matters on the nights, payment in advance will be required for each of the dinner events. Details of how to make your payments will be advised upon receipt of your booking.

Please note carefully:If you're thinking of attending any of the Saturday morning activities, please consider how you might manage to be in Belmore at from 8 am until lunchtime, and Circular Quay and on the ferries from about 9 am until 2 pm, and at the photoshop and/or printer profiling workshops which start at about 9 am. It's not possible! Please consider these options carefully, as they're mostly mutually exclusive.

Of course, prizes for the current challenge will be awarded at the Saturday night dinner.

Registrations for the challenge have now closed. For details of the challenge, please go here

Finally, stay tuned for some very exciting announcements regarding our end of year activities. All I can say at the moment is to make sure that you're making lots of images, and that you are posting some really good work.
Last edited by gstark on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alpha_7 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Sounds Excellent Gary.

One quick question, if the numbers are being kepts small are we encouraged not to attended all the events to leave room for others ? While I'd like to attend as many as I can, I'd feel bad if I was denying others the chance to attend and share the experience and companionship!
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Craig,

First in, best dressed.

We have a little bit of leeway in terms of numbers, but early bookings are a must.

As an aside, for the Satruday activities, the various activities planned are virtually mutually exclusive: you could attent the mionimeet, or the Ferry hop, or the Photoshop plus printer profiling workshops. But you don't need to attend both of those eiher, if you don't want to.

And for the dinners, bookings won't be considered as confirmed until payments are recieved.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby firsty on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:49 pm

I've been waiting for this :)
have taken The Friday off work so I'm available to pickup out of town people from the airport if required and transport them to the different activities
and have enough good husband points up that I have a weekend pass from family duties :)
Last edited by firsty on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firsty

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 pm

So how do we book for the dinner events sire 8)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby johndec on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:01 am

sirhc55 wrote:So how do we book for the dinner events sire 8)

Chris, reread the original post and look for the hotlink in this line:
So you'll need to go here quickly to book your attendance at the various events.

:wink:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:07 am

I must learn to read - thanks Johndec :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby losfp on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 am

Nice one, Gary. Just to confirm... Apart from the Friday night dinner, are all the other events Saturday?

And are we able to put in preferences? ie: if we want to go to a certain event, but it's all booked out, can we be booked on our second choice? :)

Sounds like a great AW coming up! I won't be able to make the saturday dinner, but I am very keen to go to one of the saturday morning meets!
losfp

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:19 am

losfp wrote:Nice one, Gary. Just to confirm... Apart from the Friday night dinner, are all the other events Saturday?

Des, at this stage, yes.

And are we able to put in preferences? ie: if we want to go to a certain event, but it's all booked out, can we be booked on our second choice? :)

Not yet. We'll see how or bookings for these go.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MHD on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:38 am

Where's Haberfield?
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:40 am

MHD wrote:Where's Haberfield?

Near Drummoyne I think :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:43 am

Gary what sort of food / resturant is it ll Golosso ?
Alpha_7

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:56 am

Alpha_7 wrote:Gary what sort of food / resturant is it ll Golosso ?

It's Craigarian. :D :D
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 am

Leigh filled me it, it's italian, which is one has got the thumbs up from Katie so she's coming too (if we booked soon enough), I've also booked myself for the Friday night and the Ferries, looking forward to it :)
Alpha_7

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:29 am

Pls. also an importatnt note:

Once you paid the fees for dinners, no cancellation will be accepted and NO REFUNDS

Only one seat is allowed/ member/ for all events/ activities during Saturday morning and afternoon.

e.g: If you booked for the mini meet, then you will be out of other.
Last edited by birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:30 am

MHD wrote:Where's Haberfield?

Between Ashfield and Leichardt
Last edited by birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:45 am

For Interstate and Country members,

Who requires transportation to and from Sydney Airport or to all the dinner venues, please also send me an email with your request including your ETA + your plan of where you're staying, so I can ask and arrangement with few Sydneysiders to help you while you're visiting Sydney.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:31 am

birddog114 wrote:Pls. also an importatnt note:

Once you paid the fees for dinners, no cancellation will be accepted and NO REFUNDS

Only one seat is allowed/ member/ for all events/ activities during Saturday morning and afternoon.

Thanh just a quick question, for those that won't be attending the Saturday Minimeet at your place, (because of other commitment or being at one of the other Saturday events, will they still have access to purchasing equipment at another stage during the Anniversary Weekend celebrations ?
Alpha_7

Postby wally on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:38 am

Id luv to come to this event - it'd be ace to meet all u nice ppl but my fungal infection has flared up again and I tend to be scratching more than I usually do in public - id hate to embarrass any of u's. If it settles down i will definately fly up with virgin - luv that!! :D
Where am I
wally

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:39 am

wally wrote:Id luv to come to this event - it'd be ace to meet all u nice ppl but my fungal infection has flared up again and I tend to be scratching more than I usually do in public - id hate to embarrass any of u's. If it settles down i will definately fly up with virgin - luv that!! :D

Eeew.. Wally!? Are you serious? That's pretty disgusting mate...did u really need to share that with us all? :)
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:41 am

Wally you should have that looked at before it spreads, or you infect others.
Alpha_7

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:42 am

wally wrote:Id luv to come to this event - it'd be ace to meet all u nice ppl but my fungal infection has flared up again and I tend to be scratching more than I usually do in public - id hate to embarrass any of u's. If it settles down i will definately fly up with virgin - luv that!! :D

Sorry, I can't make it to the anniversary weekend!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby wally on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:45 am

Well - my mum always sed that a problem shared is a problem solved...i just had an idea tho...if i made something for u guys to eat for desert or something that'd be ace...like a cake or something...the problem would be getting in their..my cuzin lives in leichardt and shes a good cook too. I could try and convince her to make u's a cake...shed love that!!!
Where am I
wally

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:55 am

Alpha_7 wrote:
birddog114 wrote:Pls. also an importatnt note:

Thanh just a quick question, for those that won't be attending the Saturday Minimeet at your place, (because of other commitment or being at one of the other Saturday events, will they still have access to purchasing equipment at another stage during the Anniversary Weekend celebrations ?

Yes, they can order and purchase anything they like with standard/ normal price.

No, maybe or if there's a special bargain at the mini meet (not sure at this stage), then it's only available for attendees at the mini meet.

People have to choose one or the other, can't have both.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:37 am

birddog114 wrote:No, maybe or if there's a special bargain at the mini meet (not sure at this stage), then it's only available for attendees at the mini meet.

Of course if you come on the ferry hop you have the pleasure of spending time with me since I'm organising that one :lol: BTW ferry hop will cost $15 for a daytripper ticket which covers transport on most Sydney buses, ferries & trains, including your fare to circular Quay and back home if using public transport.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby losfp on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:41 am

stubbsy wrote:
birddog114 wrote:No, maybe or if there's a special bargain at the mini meet (not sure at this stage), then it's only available for attendees at the mini meet.

Of course if you come on the ferry hop you have the pleasure of spending time with me since I'm organising that one :lol: BTW ferry hop will cost $15 for a daytripper ticket which covers transport on most Sydney buses, ferries & trains, including your fare to circular Quay and back home if using public transport.

Ooooh... Now there's a tough choice ;)

Peter, are you expecting to have to restrict numbers greatly for this one? I am very interested, but I don't want to commit before checking with The Boss tonight. The more the merrier, right?
Last edited by losfp on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
losfp

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:43 am

I speak not for Peter but from past experience this type of event doesn't really matter for numbers...I say the more the merrier - I'm excited already, but I've been told I am easily excited, I like it like that :)
Geoff
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:43 am

Just a reminder from a reminder:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?p=227953#227953

This event is on public viewing, will draw in lot of attention from the outsiders, maybe nothing will happen but be ready, play safe and act promptly.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:44 am

Good advice as always Birdy - thank you :up:
Geoff
Geoff

Postby losfp on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:51 am

birddog114 wrote:Just a reminder from a reminder:

http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?p=227953#227953

This event is on public viewing, will draw in lot of attention from the outsiders, maybe nothing will happen but be ready, play safe and act promptly.

Just remember, no stragglers, don't wander off - they watch and pick off the weak ones from the herd ;)

Seriously though, unfortunately that's the sort of world we live in.. If we stick together, and mostly keep to areas with a decent amount of traffic, we'll probably be okay!
losfp

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:52 am

For someone, who's going to bring their other half with, if we have the enough number, a shopping trip to DFO (Direct Factory Outlets) Homebush or Asian shopping centre in Campsie, Bankstown area will be organized while you're free to lust at the mini meet.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:55 am

birddog114 wrote:For someone, who's going to bring their other half with, if we have the enough number, a shopping trip to DFO (Direct Factory Outlets) Homebush or Asian shopping centre in Campsie, Bankstown area will be organized while you're free to lust at the mini meet.

I don't get it! How could it be compartible - lust at mini-meet and other half's shopping? Money are either here or there :) :) :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:58 am

Hlop wrote:
birddog114 wrote:For someone, who's going to bring their other half with, if we have the enough number, a shopping trip to DFO (Direct Factory Outlets) Homebush or Asian shopping centre in Campsie, Bankstown area will be organized while you're free to lust at the mini meet.

I don't get it! How could it be compartible - lust at mini-meet and other half's shopping? Money are either here or there :) :) :)

You have to be fair and you have to enjoy your freedom in lusting and grab something additional for your toys without any hesitation while your other half is away.

Hand to her 50 bucks and tell her: "that's your pocket money for the day" :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:00 pm

birddog114 wrote:This event is on public viewing, will draw in lot of attention from the outsiders, maybe nothing will happen but be ready, play safe and act promptly.

Realistically bandits won't be trolling here to work out what we are doing so that's not an issue. Regarding the risk of being robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight while on a ferry trip to various harbour locations - I'd say this is no higher than that happening during the stroll from Belmore station to a mini meet.

That said, your advice is spot on whenever we are out & about.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:08 pm

stubbsy wrote: Realistically bandits won't be trolling here to work out what we are doing so that's not an issue. Regarding the risk of being robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight while on a ferry trip to various harbour locations -

This one does not guarantee that every place is all safe in broad daylight or after dark.

Bandit or non bandit, this site and all events is still in a public viewing and how do you make sure that no bad guys lurking the forum.

I'd say this is no higher than that happening during the stroll from Belmore station to a mini meet.

How many people walk from Belmore Station to the mini meet in many meets in the past? and yes, it's alway in their hands and their own risks.

Precaution is always good than leave it as it's.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby losfp on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:37 pm

stubbsy wrote:Of course if you come on the ferry hop you have the pleasure of spending time with me since I'm organising that one :lol:

Oh, one more thing Peter - not sure if you saw my thread here... http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=18827

Craig suggested that we might be able to somehow incorporate a photographic scavenger hunt element into the ferry ride meet - not as formalised as the original proposal of course, but it might be fun to have a list of things/themes that we have to get photos off from the day. Please feel free to split off into a separate thread for this meet :)
losfp

Postby stubbsy on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:09 pm

losfp wrote:Oh, one more thing Peter - not sure if you saw my thread here... http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=18827

Craig suggested that we might be able to somehow incorporate a photographic scavenger hunt element into the ferry ride meet - not as formalised as the original proposal of course, but it might be fun to have a list of things/themes that we have to get photos off from the day. Please feel free to split off into a separate thread for this meet :)

Des I'd prefer to leave this for another day so we don't distract people too much from making the most of the places we'll be visiting (especially for the out of towners).
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:09 pm

stubbsy wrote:
birddog114 wrote:This event is on public viewing, will draw in lot of attention from the outsiders, maybe nothing will happen but be ready, play safe and act promptly.

Realistically bandits won't be trolling here to work out what we are doing so that's not an issue. Regarding the risk of being robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight while on a ferry trip to various harbour locations - I'd say this is no higher than that happening during the stroll from Belmore station to a mini meet.

That said, your advice is spot on whenever we are out & about.

Prudent advice guys, thanks for the warning, there is absolutely no way I am going to the Direct Factory Outlet, I don't want to get mugged!
Glen

Postby rokkstar on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:11 pm

birddog114 wrote:How many people walk from Belmore Station to the mini meet in many meets in the past? and yes, it's alway in their hands and their own risks.

I walk from Belmore station to the mini-meet, but the beauty of looking like a thug is that no one wants to talk to you. :lol:
So stick with me people, I'm big bad and ugly enough to scare any bandits away. :lol:
Matt
rokkstar

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:26 pm

rokkstar wrote:
birddog114 wrote:How many people walk from Belmore Station to the mini meet in many meets in the past? and yes, it's alway in their hands and their own risks.

I walk from Belmore station to the mini-meet, but the beauty of looking like a thug is that no one wants to talk to you. :lol:
So stick with me people, I'm big bad and ugly enough to scare any bandits away. :lol:

Echoing from Rokkstar,

People walked to and from Belmore station daily and they never had any problems including my son and my daughter after their shift works. This doesn't guarantee: it's totally risk free.

The risks here are specially spoken to number of valued gears or valuable items which people carry with them and the benefits of the warning is mostly for us to beware of what could be happening as we've seen and helping us to protect ourselves in any worst scenario.

Take it or not take it is up to everyone and it's your choice at the end.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby losfp on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:00 pm

stubbsy wrote:
losfp wrote:Oh, one more thing Peter - not sure if you saw my thread here... http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=18827

Des I'd prefer to leave this for another day so we don't distract people too much from making the most of the places we'll be visiting (especially for the out of towners).

No worries Peter, it was just a thought :) I'll see about organising something later on, maybe when it's not friggen' freezing....
losfp

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:00 pm

While the concern for everyone's safety is important (Leigh has been mugged - down the road from where we live - while walking home one evening) it's hardly on topic for this discussion.

Let's just accept and reinforce that people need to take all of the normal steps that one takes to ensure their personal safety, and now that we've done that, let's please stay on topic.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:38 pm

All,
For all your concerning about where is the venue of Photoshop + Printer Profiling workshops will be held at smac's office in Regent Parks (GBC Australia).

The venue for mini meet is the same as previously at my base.

For Saturday morning:
8:00am is the starting time for mini meet and will finish at 12:00

Photoshop workshop will start at: 9:00am and printer profiling etc... will start after Photoshop workshop fisnished.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Before I clicky on the booking form: http://www.dslrusers.com/aw0608.php

I'd like to cover the cost of Matt and Philo's dinner, as they did for me last year.

Cheers.
Onyx

Postby Glen on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Onyx, your position as a gentleman is confirmed :wink:
Glen

Postby Glen on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:30 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/por ... 05135.html

A Porsche driver was carjacked yesterday, so could all Porsche drivers also be careful on the weekend :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:33 am

Glen wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/porsche-driver-carjacked-in-deadend/2006/07/12/1152637705135.html

A Porsche driver was carjacked yesterday, so could all Porsche drivers also be careful on the weekend :wink:

All Hyundai, Kia drivers watch out!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:39 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems they have a new one everyday in the SMH these days
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:53 am

Reminder people - as Gary said earlier, please try to stay on topic. :wink:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:54 am

Heading back on-topic, shouldn't you be brushing up on those pastry making and bakery skills Glen? :lol:
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Next

Return to Announcements